Xtreme Air Racing fans need to regroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xtreme Air Racing fans need to regroup

Since the Victory Sims forums were closed, XAR fans need a new home that is easy to find. Obviously, a few of us found this forum since it was all that was left when the website went away. Maybe this is the place XAR fans belong, but it would be easier if we had a dedicated forum that is easy for new players to find and to attract new recruits.

SimHQ has had a dedicated forum for XAR from the beginning. Only a few have gone there since the VS forums were the place to be when this sim was "popular", but it is otherwise one of the best places for flight sim fans to meet. Could everyone here who is still interested in XAR please check in over at the Sim HQ XAR forum

With a little time and effort, it seems like we might be able to rekindle interest in this sim

Re: Xtreme Air Racing fans need to regroup

Streak, you guys asked a way's back, if you'd like a separate section in the forum, I'll set you one up. I probably already said I'd do it but managed to forget it with my move and all..

It's easy to do, if you're still interested, let me know.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well, I would only ask that of you if there are enough people to justify it.

If you create a forum here, we need a way to get the news out to anybody who has bought the last couple of versions of XAR:
      i.e. get the official game websites to list a link to this forum.

SimHQ already has a dead XAR forum that could be readily activated... a few people have even been there over the past couple of years. The one advantage to using SimHQ is that people tend to find it sooner or later without any help or advertising.

I would like to see an active XAR community similar to other major flight sims in terms of size and motivation. The sad part is that I barely even have time to play the game much less be actively involved in organizing a community effort

But just maybe there's enough interest to spark a decent sized group to come together.

This site still exists:
      XAR Guild

The associated Yahoo! Group also still exists.

Everything is in place to support a XAR community except of course, the community

Comment

Streak, I can just put one up and we can see what happens. Big advantage here is that there are a lot of race fans here already and... given time and a long winter, maybe even some of us will start to fly it again.

Even if I had the time, I'm sort of miffed in that I spent a ton of money on CH stuff... stick throttle pedals with a lot of programable keystrokes and such, now, none of it will work with my current computer.. which would make an excellent gaming platform BTW...

Anyway... I'll dig in and add the section..

Any ideas what you'd like to call it?

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Should the title be the name of the game Xtreme Air Racing?
          Or maybe the new name, Redline:Xtreme Air Racing 2?
          Or should it be a forum for all air racing sims (i.e. the MSFS2xxx types) with a more generic name like Air Racing Computer Sims (ARCS)?

Picking a name is way beyond me... I just know it would be cool if everyone gathered in one place

Comment

Not to get in on the topic, Over at VARO we have been racing online, off and on for 3 years now using ms2k2 and 2k4. This there any way we could ge a link setup in the sims section and maybe some news. We are not getting much support from the FS sites since Avsim and Flightsim are refusing to post news about us(I guess we are not news worthy enough). I would also like to point out that I think the promotion of all forms of air racing is a benefit to the community. If XAR were more stable online we would differently run an online series like we are doing with FS. I think that both sims have a place online due to the difference in there style and simulation.

Comment

Thanks for the links, Streak.

I'm inclined to think Wayne hosting it here is a good idea, and it's very decent of him to make the offer. The connection to Reno & *real* air racing makes it a good fit, I think. While I admit the community might end up being a tad smaller, this seems a logical orphanage for XAR & XAR2 enthusiasts, and the existing URL pointer for XAR gets you to the AAFO home page already, which would be the logical place to feature the link. I'm unable to find any sort of user forum hosted by Encore, so that's out.

XAR Guild is the expended effort of the gentleman, whose name I regret I can't recall, who attempted to host an on-line portal for multiplayer racing with XAR1; he & Jason Lescaleet (sp?) from VS could never get the bugs worked out & he finally gave up, converting it to a *fan* site in late 2002 or early 2003. It's been pretty much a ghost site since - nothing going there & his *Communication Center* is just a link to the Yahoo group where you & p51propjob have been chatting.

On a happier note, my copy of XAR2 should be arriving soon.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

Okay.

Now we have a forum.

I don't have anybody specific to inform, but I announced the link at SimHQ's XAR forum and at the XAR Yahoo! Group.

Daiwa, you used to provide tons of tech support to people. I hope you have email addresses to some of them to bring them back here. I hope XAR2 works as well for you as it has for me. Now we need just 6 more recruits to test online multiplayer

Comment

Nice!

Streak - I've gone through a couple of hard drives since then, but I'll take a look & see if I still have any of those email addresses.

Cheers,

Daiwa
                  (Still waiting for XAR2 )

Comment

Streak

I have a few email address from a few of the FAST boys from XAR back when we where racing 2 and 3 at a time. I'll shoot them an email and let them know about this place. Maybe we can get the gang back together for some competition.

Cheers.

Roger

Comment

So I suppose I should get ole Voodoo out of the hangar and try this again. What do you say Roger. I wonder if it will even start.

Do I need to get the new XAR2 version? If so, where??

Chris (one of the "FAST"Boys)

Comment

been away for a long time. What is the latest racing game, and does it work with more than 2 people?

schrambow

ps. anybody looking to buy 2 air command gyrocotpers?

Comment

latest version is XAR2 Redline. you can get it pretty cheap if you can find it. I don't know if multiplayer has been fixed because we hardly even have enough people to try and need to schedule a common time.

Comment

Guys - What happened to Xtreme Air Racing? Is it dead? I'm still having a ball w/mine, but, the website is gone? Thankfully, I found this forum - someone please spin me up on what's up!?

Cabi@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Working...
                            X