espn 2004 selling bee and no air racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• espn 2004 selling bee and no air racing

Just venting on wondering why I can watch an hour of the national spelling bee and not see any air racing. Anyone know why espn doesn't cover reno anymore.

Greg

Re: espn 2004 selling bee and no air racing

I can't resist (though with a smile), it's spelling not selling! However, to answer your question, and as always, it's (about) money! Despite how passionate you are or I am about Air Racing, it's a small audience, far smaller than for the National Spelling Bee.
    I do believe that Air Racing could be successfully promoted, but that's not one of my skills. Is there a Bill France among us?

Comment

Maybe because it doesn't happen in NY city. ...ever notice their favoritism of their local boys in NYC? No offense to those that live there.

Local Brave fan......
      Randy Rheinschild
      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

On a more sincere note (than my first reply), I believe the earlier year's TV coverage was paid for by R.A.R.A. Would you pay for coverage, i.e. pay-per-view? I would, for the races I couldn't attend, but I nearly always make Reno. So, in my case, I wouldn't need pay-per-view, unless there were more races, in locations or at times that I couldn't attend.
        On another note, I'm hoping Bob Avery will chime in.

Comment

I would much rather watch air racing. But it was kinda neat watching that kid pass out under the pressure of trying to spell some word that know one ever uses. LOL! I lost five bucks on that. I bet he would fall stage right.

Comment

I would think Air Racing would attract a bunch of people. Not sure why it isnt on TV as much as it should be. If major TV Networks will show Golf for god sakes why not Air Racing??

Comment

....golf ....spelling bees.....
              ........Air racing,
              are you crazy?
              that would interfere with
              "Tibetan Tiddly-Winks"......

......unlimited Hydros have had the same problem.....
              money,money,money..........
              Mayday51
              Jim Gallagher

Comment

The Spelling Bee has the benefit of a major media company's backing, i.e., E.W. Scripps. They're based here in Cincinnati, but those of you in San Diego know the Scripps name, too. Peas
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Well, knowing a teacher of our young people as well as I do, I can applaude the spelling bee theme.. After all, those kids can't go on to be pile-its unless they can speal it right!

But....

It will always amaze me that the guys that produce strictly aviation programming can't see the forest for the trees on this subject. DW Channel has the same air race show and "in and out" for shows that has a racing theme that they show, over and over and over, yet... they refuse to buy any new air race themed programming..

It just does not figure!

Anyway.. I could go on...... My pet peeve... Lawn Mower Racing!!!!!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: espn 2004 spelling bee and no air racing

oops 1 out of 2 correct spellings isn't bad. I just figured people who like racing be it nascar,IRL, CART, NHRA, would like to see other kinds of racing. Yea on the DW channel they do play it over and over I wish they had something new but I still have to watch it! I was wondering what happened to hydroplane racing . I wish it was still on.

Greg

Comment

If it moves fast and can be raced, I'll watch. Doesn't really matter if it's land, sea, or air.

Lonnie

Comment

Lonnie, et al...
                        Would you be willing to pay for it, that is pay-per-view for air racing? I doubt that there are enough air race fans to justify the expense of filming and airing a race or races, even on a paid basis. I do think air racing could make new fans; those fans who watch nearly any other kind of racing would be "catch-able" I believe. However, what promoter is willing to go out on a limb to start the (paid) telecasts and develope enough of a race series to make it economically feasible (long term)?
                        After seeing Lawm Mower racing, I have to wonder what's next and why it probably won't be air racing.

Comment

Re: espn 2004 spelling bee and no air racing

Originally posted by gv71
                          I was wondering what happened to hydroplane racing . I wish it was still on.

Greg
                          Speed TV will air this years Unlimited Hydro race season later on this summer. I think it starts in Sept if I remember correctly.

Comment

This domain may be for sale!

....official site for the water-based unlimiteds......

....(U-3 has Allison power (turbo'D) and beat the turbines!

Have Fun
                            Mayday51
                            Jim Gallagher

Comment

"After seeing Lawm Mower racing, I have to wonder what's next and why it probably won't be air racing."

After seeing my NASCAR fan friends in action and the shows they watch between, before and after the race, lawnmower races would probably draw a bigger audience...
                              Nothing against Nascar! I follow it, but a NASCAR fan as focused as most of us are on Air Racing has little room for something without wheels!

Leo
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X