Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racer project with the greatest impression to you ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racer project with the greatest impression to you ?

Perhaps we owe a nod of thanks to the local area Pepsi Bottlers? If I recall right, that's where M B made his money...making the signs for Pepsi distributors.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
      Perhaps we owe a nod of thanks to the local area Pepsi Bottlers? If I recall right, that's where M B made his money...making the signs for Pepsi distributors.
      And unless something has changed he is still doing it. Pretty much any advertising plastic for Pepsico is made by his company.

Comment

I believe that the most amazing airplane was Miss Ashley II. I found it one of the most unique racers at reno.
        Preciouis metal is in the same catagory

Comment

I just went to an airshow and saw an LEAR 35 ( also lotsa other airplanes ).

Vendetta was the original LEARSTANG.

How about when a Griffon with a 5 blader ( lite ) Rotol prop was fitted into that...that would be pretty cool...the Griffonengine could bring the Vendetta into the right speedarea right ?

Where is Vendetta ?

just my 2 cents.
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Vendetta had several teething problems when it was brought to Reno, and I believe crash landed not long after that. John Dilley ended up selling the wings and I believe the horizontal tail to Mr. Rogers and he then put them on Miss Ashley II.
            Jason
            Jason Schillereff

Comment

Really I thought the MA II was a totally new fibre/carbon bird. Any confirmation on this ?

Comment

MA II was a modified mustang.

from my limited observations
                (in the pits at Reno);

she had a mustang fuse (modified some I'm sure) those (in) famous wings and tail feathers,

the radiator/oil cooler scoop was a composite mix (sporting various inlet shapes at different times)

....lots of love,courage and sweat too........

...Honor your Heros
                Mayday51
                Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                  Really I thought the MA II was a totally new fibre/carbon bird. Any confirmation on this ?
                  New-build Mustang fuse on Vendetta's wing and stab. I recall that the stab span was cut down. In '98, they changed the wing leading edge profile with a carbon replacement for the original polished metal LE.

See my previous post about MA-III.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
                    MA II was a modified mustang.
                    In the Grantham book on Griffon-Powered Mustangs, it's pretty clear that Miss Ashley II was *not* a P-51 fuselage, but a scratch-built fuselage patterned on a P-51.

Comment

Well Ok,

Thanks a bunch. There was also a De Havilland Vampire flying ( 1943 design ) in the airshow I went to ( pics will appear later ). That was amazing..had the allied have those sooner in action the Luftwaffe would have sat down on the tails and begged for cookies.
                      Balsa + plywood kite with some metal to it !!!

Seems to me that metal fused Mustanglike with fibre/carbon wings could still be a winner ( weight down and transsonic speeds adjusted wings ).
                      Like a MA III with a Rotol 5 blader + a Griffon.

JT

Comment

What do you get when you cross a P-51 Mustang with a LearJet? One *VERY* Fassst hybrid aircraft! Read how Bill Rogers married these two unlikely mates.
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

thanks Wayner.....
                          Mayday51
                          Jim Gallagher

Comment

I had the feeling they weren't 100 % sure why it broke down in mid air ?
                            Could it be that the resonance of the fuse due to the contrarotating Griffon was too much for the carbon airframe ? Could it have been something aerodynamically incorrect that caused stress for the airframe beyond normal ?

regards,

JT / Oulu

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                              Could it be that the resonance of the fuse due to the contrarotating Griffon was too much for the carbon airframe
                              Umm.. Juke, read back a few messages please.. and also.. does anyone mind if we change the subject back to more pleasant matter?

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ok Wayne !

I just don't remember when was the cause of accident by NTSB discussed.

Here is a farewell pic of MA II:

Let's change the subject then.

Juke

Comment

Working...
                                X