Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo

What's the story with voodoo? In some pictures in looks to be higly modified like Strega or Dago Red, and in other photos it looks to unmodified. Are there two differnt Voodoo's? I'm new to this stuff and this will be my first year attending. I am just curious what the deal is.
    Thanks
    -Slo-

Re: Voodoo

Originally posted by Unregistered
    What's the story with voodoo? In some pictures in looks to be higly modified like Strega or Dago Red, and in other photos it looks to unmodified. Are there two differnt Voodoo's? I'm new to this stuff and this will be my first year attending. I am just curious what the deal is.
    Thanks
    -Slo-
    Slo... welcome to the world of Air Racing!! You're gonna love it at Reno, there is nothing quite like it anywhere in motorsport or aviation in general!!

Voodoo has a "colorful" and .... "checkered" history.. quite literally..

It was raced in, more-or-less stock form early on, then converted to the clipped canopy/turtledeck in.. I believe it was '98, at least partially then, sported the new paint scheme in '99 (prospector, correct me on my dates if I'm wrong here) and now, it's on its way back to a more-or-less stock airplane with the recent removal of the racing canopy/turtledeck and return to stock canopy.

It retains, if I'm not mistaken, the slicked cooling system/scoop and profiled wings, as well as the two piece cowl that was built up for it. So it's "Stock" but.. not stock..

Hope that helped.. Others here will be able to answer the question with, doubtless, greatly more accuracy!

You can CLICK HERE and do a site search and should come up with a lot of history on the airplane as you dig through the results..

(Special Thanks To Fluid Dynamics for thier AMAZING site search engine!)

Again... welcome to Air Racing!! See ya at Reno

Wayne

PS -Slo- it's easy to sign up as a regged member of the community (message board) and your messages will appear immediately if you do. We "moderate" unregged posts and sometimes miss them or can't get to them for a while.. either way, you're welcome to post any time!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

-Slo-

And since you asked and I see somewhere else that there is some information relating to the -why- that the airplane has been returned to stock canopy that is about to, perhaps, boil over... and knowing that if the information that is "coming soon" is what some of us have been asked not to divulge... (sorry for the long sentence )

I'm sincerely hoping that we'll all find out the "for sure" thing at the same time and it will, indeed, be fairly soon..

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Bob's L-39 is for sale on Bob Hannah's web site. Are we looking at a clearance sale? Will another Terry Bland-type step up and return Voodoo to it's former, very potent form? Somebody's gotta push Dago, Bear and Sept. Fury!
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
          Bob's L-39 is for sale on Bob Hannah's web site. Are we looking at a clearance sale? Will another Terry Bland-type step up and return Voodoo to it's former, very potent form? Somebody's gotta push Dago, Bear and Sept. Fury!
          Sounds like we'll know by PRS!
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
            Sounds like we'll know by PRS!
            Speeking of PRS how is access to the field during that time? Can anyone get out there and take photos? do they fly the long course? I've never been to PRS and I was thinking of going this year.
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
              Speeking of PRS how is access to the field during that time? Can anyone get out there and take photos? do they fly the long course? I've never been to PRS and I was thinking of going this year.

Victor,

PRS is cool in that #1 no entry tickets, #2 in the last few years we've been able to park on the ramp. It isn't formal like the air races. Pretty laid back. They try to stick with the racing schedule from Sept. but it isn't as competive. sometimes tho, the guys will get into a " all out race ", but it's a good time. MIke G
              MG

Comment

Victor,

From a photographic standpoint the access is about the same as you get during September. They do fly the same course as they do during race week and you are not that much closer to the flight path. Last year I was able to get to some spots that would have been off limits to me during race week. There are still safety areas enforced on the ramp itself.

The biggest advantage though is lack of crowds around the planes and the ability to quickly change position without losing a front row spot. The downside is that there are not as many aircraft as there are in September. What you don't get in quantity though you make up in quality.

On the attached link select the gallery for "2003 Reno Pylon Racing Seminar" to give you a better idea. http://www.rwphotos.com/Aviation/aviationmain.htm

See you there,

Rick

Comment

regarding the PRS. forgot to mention to you that you mite want to bring your sandwiches and drinks. There hasn't been any food booths in the past. And bring along a jacket/sweater. It's not uncommon for it to rain or an occasional snow.
                  MG

Comment

Rick & Mike, Thank you for the info. Not sure if I can make it yet but I did mark it on my calendar. Does anyone know if they still close the road that goes through the course? Thanks for the heads up on the food & drink, don't suppose you can BBQ on the ramp. Any info on who's going to show up?
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

No sure what you mean about the road. But last year I was able to get between pylons 5 & 6 for some excellent shots. There is also cheapskate hill for a photo opportunity. And Red Rock road.
                      MG

Comment

Spoke with Bob today and we talked about the future of Voodoo and Air Racing. The motor for Voodoo is awaiting parts from Roush Racing and once they arrive the motor can be put together. Bob told me he plans to attend the Pylon Seminar this June to get qualified to campaign Voodoo come September. Voodoo will not be ready in time for the June seminar and Bob will be bringing his L-39 for some course time. Bob has been getting a great deal of stick time and was at the Formation Seminar this weekend at Castle. He will be looking to get more and more time before June and September. Hurricane Bob Hannah will be lending a hand to Bob with orientation of the racer. He hopes he will be able to get his ticket and qualify as a race pilot. We will soon know what the future of Voodoo will be come September. The L-39 was offered for sale, but Bob told me today he intends to keep the Czech trainer. He loves the airplane and enjoys flying it. So, it looks as though he will be keeping the jet trainer. There you have it, up to the minute info on the world of air racing. Enjoy and keep those news snips coming.

Dave

Comment

Any idea where this leaves Matt Jackson?

Comment

Looking for work to pay off the Bear engine?

Comment

Working...
                            X