Yak 9: How low can you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yak 9: How low can you go?

According to someone I know who witnessed this event, who also knows the pilot, it took an 8+ g snatch to avoid hitting the ground. You can see this hard pull on the video. VERY lucky.

Comment

The pilot was Dan McCue (sp?) and the location was Andrews AFB, last weekend I believe.

Comment

I wonder how close the high-speed-stall was to occur.

Was the soviet plane Yak-3 or Yak-9 ..Yak-3 was powered by Allison and built in large number to abroad. Smaller wing than in a niner.
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

wrong juke, the yak-3 was built with a klimov engine and only flew in france and russia if i remember right, it was the first high speed version of the yak prop fighters with little armor or armament. allisons weren't installed in yaks until the early '90's if i remember right.

the yak-9 on the other hand was sold to a myriad of eastern bloc countries.
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Re: Yak 3

That's what I mean..yak-3s were rebuilt in the original Yakolev plants to be sold abroad in the nineties..so it cannot be a Yak-9.
            Well it ( Yak-3 ) was a nimble little fighter, but introduced to the front later than Yak-9 which was a wooden plane and had 3 feet more span.
            Proto of a Yak-3 flew 745 km/h being the fastest piston plane during WWII in the former Soviet Union. Am I correct Matt ?

The french Normandie Niemen regiment flew'em in Russia I think.

FAF never faced the Yak-3 fighters since Finland and Soviets made a peace treaty in the fall -44. There was plenty of yak-9 and la-5 fighters ( not to forget the Il-2s ) + p39s with those 38 mm oldsmobile cannons against our ageing and rare G-6s. ( Sorry this was off the topic ).

I have always liked the Yak-3 sporty looks.

Comment

The new build aircraft produced by Yakovlev in the nineties included both the -3 and the -9. They are identified as Yak-3UA and Yak-9UM respectively and are both of all metal construction despite the fact that the -9 had a wood wing originally. The one in this video appears to my eye to be a Yak-3 judging by the cockpit location but I could be wrong. I do not think that any of the new build aircraft used any original components but are indeed entirely "new build".

Comment

Reminds me of the Thunderchiken who dug a hole in the ground a day after the last performance at Reno 03. Except that one turned out a bit different!

Comment

Yep !

I have seen those 2 videos and that towerphoto of it. Tough luck.

Well FAF Mig-21 bis pilot Ari Piippo augered in at Rammstein airshow some 10+ years ago in same manner...sadly he did not have an ejector seat. He was flying an Allison turboprop powered REDIGO advanced trainer. 5 more meters altitude and he may have made it.

I once sat into his Mig on one airshow in the 70ies..he was an excellent pilot.

An other outstanding pilot lieutenant colonel Janhunen ( and an aviation engineer ) was killed in previous test flight program of the earlier finnish turgoprop design Vinha...overpowered Vinka trainer. It went into an unrecoverable spin ( bore through the ice on a remote lake )..they had to rethink the concept and then Redigo was born ( totally new aircraft with retracts and longer fuse and very fast ). Janhunen's son is a squadron leader today ( if my memory serves me right ).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    The new build aircraft produced by Yakovlev in the nineties included both the -3 and the -9. They are identified as Yak-3UA and Yak-9UM respectively and are both of all metal construction despite the fact that the -9 had a wood wing originally. The one in this video appears to my eye to be a Yak-3 judging by the cockpit location but I could be wrong. I do not think that any of the new build aircraft used any original components but are indeed entirely "new build".
                    I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                      Yep !

I have seen those 2 videos and that towerphoto of it. Tough luck.

Well FAF Mig-21 bis pilot Ari Piippo augered in at Rammstein airshow some 10+ years ago in same manner...sadly he did not have an ejector seat. He was flying an Allison turboprop powered REDIGO advanced trainer. 5 more meters altitude and he may have made it.

I once sat into his Mig on one airshow in the 70ies..he was an excellent pilot.

An other outstanding pilot lieutenant colonel Janhunen ( and an aviation engineer ) was killed in previous test flight program of the earlier finnish turgoprop design Vinha...overpowered Vinka trainer. It went into an unrecoverable spin ( bore through the ice on a remote lake )..they had to rethink the concept and then Redigo was born ( totally new aircraft with retracts and longer fuse and very fast ). Janhunen's son is a squadron leader today ( if my memory serves me right ).
                      Here are the pic of those trainers I mentioned. Valmet Vinka and Redigo ( below Vinka ).

Comment

Working...
                      X