P51 & Bearcat over Tracy CA today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P51 & Bearcat over Tracy CA today?

Around noon today saw a P51 and what appeared to be a bearcat in formation turning towards Livermore........anyone have further info??
    Brian

Re: P51 & Bearcat over Tracy CA today?

I wasn't out there that day but I have seen a p-51 puttin' around the skies out there in Tracey. I have never seen a Bearcat but that's pretty cool.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Not sure, but Friday I heard a couple Merlins (can't mis-identify THAT sound), ran outside, and saw two P-51s high overhead, heading towards the coast...they were already too far away to see their colors, much less any markings details. I saw no "Bears".

I live next to Moffett Federal Airfield-Nasa/AMES, about 40 miles south of San Francisco (not far from Livermore).

This weekend's been a real treat so far. Besides the Mustangs, the Wings of Freedom B-17 and B-24 have been here at Moffett all weekend, buzzing my house several times each day while giving rides.....I can't stop grinning!

I don't know if it's related, but an airshow at Moffett is scheduled for the end of May....Thunderbirds this year (haven't had a military jet team here since the NAVY pulled out of Moffett in '93).

ANYWAY, here's some text from the local paper about the large warbirds:

W.W. II-era planes at Moffett for tours

By Frank Sweeney
      Mercury News

Sixty years ago, tens of thousands of heavy bombers filled the skies of war-torn Europe; today just a handful still fly. Two of the rare World War II-vintage planes will drop in on the Santa Clara Valley today.

The fully restored aircraft -- a B-24 Liberator and a B-17 Flying Fortress -- will be on display at Moffett Federal Airfield through noon Tuesday.

The old planes are traveling around the country on the Wings of Freedom tour, organized and sponsored by the non-profit Collings Foundation of Stowe, Mass., which restored the two aircraft.

There were 18,479 B-24 Liberators built during World War II, but this is the only one that still flies. Fewer than a dozen B-17s are still airworthy.

The Collings Foundation aircraft are flown by volunteers, but it still costs $3,100 per flight hour to operate the two planes. Ground tours and 30-minute flights aboard the vintage bombers will be offered to the public.

The vintage bombers will be on display at Moffett Field's main gate near the control tower from 3 to 5:30 p.m. today ; from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday through Monday, and 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday.

The foundation requests a donation of $8 for adults and $4 for children under 12 to tour the aircraft. Half-hour flights in either aircraft are available for a tax-deductible donation of $400.

To reserve a flight, telephone (978) 562-9182. Further information is on the foundation's Web site at www.collingsfoundation.org Contact Frank Sweeney at (408) 920-5675, or fsweeney@mercurynews.com

Comment

I live in Tracy and work in Livermore right next to the Airport. I have seen these two ( the 51 and the Bearcat ) flying in formation several times in the last year or two. They are based out of the livermore airport, they used to do a bunch of flybys on weekends. I can remember playing a round of golf at a course next to the runway, and they took off, and made a couple of passes. It was a beautiful site!!

Comment

they are based in livermore, I have seen them flying in formation around the Livermore airport on weekends.

Comment

Working...
          X