Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Merlin worth?

Hi Guys

So just how much is a zero hour Merlin engine worth? Unfortunately the one I was offered has now sold, but I would be interested to know what I might have got for it.

Happy flying

Hugh

If it is truely unused, from $12,000 to $20,000.

Comment

Well...that depends...

Theory:

If you are a round motor guy...they are not worth much except to tie your tailwheel to. Some people have the philosophy that the only liquids that belong in a motor are petroleum based. They believe that cooling should only be attempted by mother nature.

However:

If you are a "hot water 12" guy, it depends on whether it will be fitting in a NAA or Supermarine motor mount, just forward of a firewall and aft of a prop. Or, if it is used as a nightstand for decoration in your bedroom to drive your wife crazy...the latter adds 10% to the overall value.

There is nothing like cosmoline squishing up between a womans toes in the morning to make her a little irritable...

Comment

Merlin prices...

Certainly much would depend on which dash Merlin you're talking about, but if we're talking a -3, -7 or -9, I'd have to believe it would be a helluva lot more than $12-20K. Hell, I'm not sure a Merlin of these types even exists in an unused condition! But considering an overhaul of a stock -7 Merlin will run you anywhere from $50-100K, I'd have to say one in the can would likely fetch at least that, and possibly more. Now if we're talking about a -1 Merlin, that's another story, as these engines are not suited for use in a Mustang, Spitfire, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X