Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the heck is a Super Pinto?

Well, I took a second to read Davidsson's article and found this:

"All but one of the surviving airplanes flying today has been re-engined with the GE J-85, a military version of the CJ-610, the engine used on Lear Jets"

So there you have it.

Comment

Does anyone remember that nose gear dirupts the airflow to engine if you drag it in. Or that's the story I got when we picked up the wreckage in KHWD.

Comment

Well, it started out as a Pinto, but has some major mods. The engine is a GE J-85-17A - rated somewhere around 2800-2900 lbs of thrust depending on the day. The civilian version of this engine is the CJ-610-6 which was also used in the 20 series Lear A/C. Currently, all flying Pinto's have either the J-85 or CJ-610.

Originally, it had 126 gals of fuel. We increased fuel capacity to a little over 300 gal with the MU-2 tips and by building wet wings. It's a little heavier than the other Pinto's flying, but the increase in weight was well worth the increase in fuel capacity. Actually, it is so overpowered that it doesn't really even seem to matter.

The fender on the nose gear is a water deflector. The J-85 is much more tolerant of water ingestion than the J-69. However, we felt that keeping the fender would be beneficial regarding FOD. Never heard any stories about the fender disrupting airflow to the engine though.

A NEAT airplane- too bad Temco didn't have an opportunity to build more.

Ashley Ezell

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          A NEAT airplane- too bad Temco didn't have an opportunity to build more.

Ashley Ezell
          Thanks for the reply Ashley. I have to say that "NEAT" does not describe your plane properly. As we walked around it scratching our heads, I was VERY impressed at the detail that was put into this plane. Unfortunatly, a better word escapes me right now.

I did notice the smoke pods under the wings. Is this beauty in any airshows this year?

Clay
          Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Appreciate the compliments. I have to give credit to members of our crew who did the majority of the work on this project. Also, my brother is directly responsible for the exterior paint- I think he does have a knack with it! You have probably seen some of his other work at Reno- it usually involves a large advertising banner "donated" by some unsuspecting folks and some good "dirt" from the week's events- <g>

I don't know the jet owner's current status regarding ICAS and airshow performances. I would also love to see him be able to perform an acro routine with it for a crowd. One year at the BKD airshow- we watched him perform a very impressive rountine in a Soko Galeb jet that involved a tail slide and lomcevak! I know that his rountine in this airplane would be even more impressive-

Ashley

Comment

Super Pinto

The late Dick Hunt did an amazing acro routine in the "American Jet Super Pinto" at Reno in the early seventies, maybe 71 or 72 (Brad?)

I think he even "raced" the Super Pinto in the drag races at Mojave.

I remember walking down to the pits with my Dad and looking at the jet and talking with Dick Hunt- what a neat airplane!

Didn't see or read much about the Pinto jets till I saw the Mike Dillon article-and I did get a glimpse at Mike Couches fleet at Hayward.
              Mike had an accident in one of his Pinto jets, landing short of the runway at Hayward- encountering the typical "Bay Area" traffic on Winton/Hesperian....YIKES!
              I believe the Couches family still has a couple of Pintos in their collection,
              but I can't confirm this. All the best, RG
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

OR.....is a Super Pinto a Ford product with a 460 wedged in it- that runs 9.00 at 150+mph???? hehe
                Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
                  OR.....is a Super Pinto a Ford product with a 460 wedged in it- that runs 9.00 at 150+mph???? hehe
                  Hummn, sounds interesting, but UGLY!

That many cubic inches on that wheelbase... I think I'll let someone other than me drive that bugger!!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
                    How about 6 second 240 mph Super Pintos!
                    Last edited by Victor Archer; 04-02-2004, 04:10 PM. Reason: Photo didn't attach
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
                      How about 6 second 240 mph Super Pintos!
                      Just be sure you don't bump them in the rear end with a "Stutz" Bearcat #77 or a "Ford" Mustang #7(Don't we all wish) or maybe "Ford" Mustang #4. Ok, are we going to talk about cars from now on, or do we all just like loud engines?

Clay
                      Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

During my three short years in the airshow business, the most impressive airshow by a civilian plane I ever saw was by a J-85 super pinto flown by Harry Shepard out of the Sussex NJ airport. I remember the runway was so short ( and hills were at the north end) that I would not take off from there in the BD-5J-we took off from another airport and landed there (I was only the backup pilot- the primary pilot was Ed Johnson who probably would have flown out of there but he was unavailable so I had to fly it which was basically an emergency procedure for us). Harry broke ground in about 1500 feet and went right into a double immelman. And he flew one of the lowest altitude airshows I ever saw (looks neat but if you notice, all the guys who have done this for a living fly higher as they get older-and smarter). Harry was an ex fighter pilot (I think Navy) and I think he flew for the old PanAm. I saw him fly about three times and was totally impressed. Wonder what ever happened to him. Glad that great airplane is still around.

Ron Henning

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          Harry was an ex fighter pilot (I think Navy)

Well, if you were impressed, then THAT just goes without saying, doesn't it? Remember, Aviators are better than pilots.

Speeddemon

Comment

Working...
                          X