Still using film cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still using film cameras?

There's another consideration in the film vs. digital debate that hasn't been brought up yet and that is how long it takes you to recover your film and processing costs.

Lets assume that you plop down $4k for a camera, lenses, memory card, etc. Yesterday I came home with 203 images from an airshow not counting the 25 or so that I deleted. I would have shot around 7 rolls of film for the day. I pay around $8 for a roll of Provia film and another $10 to process it. Therefore it would take me 32 airshows (4000/(18x7)) to recover my costs. That's not including the 18 rolls I would normally shoot at the races as well as the 2000, or so, non airshow pictures I would otherwise take during the course of the year. It would only take 222 rolls worth of pictures for the camera to pay for itself. That's a bit over 2 years for me.

The other advantage is time. I got home yesterday and it took 45 minutes to convert 203 images from RAW to Tiff and they were ready to go. I've already made some 8x12 prints from pictures that I took less than 24 hours ago. No waiting a few days for the lab to get them back so I could see the results. With film I would have spent another 18-25 hours scanning the pictures. How much is your time worth?

I'm strong believer in film and will continue to use it for some purposes. The airshow yesterday was the first time that I did not shoot a single frame of film at an airshow. The only reason I carried a film camera with me was for backup purposes. On the other hand, if I were headed into the Yosemite back country for a week then I probably would leave the digital at home and carry my 25 year old OM-1 instead.

Just my .02

Rick

Comment

The film and processing was a powerful argument for me to go digital. I posted orginally here because of the scanner discussion. Anyway, in 2003, from January to September, I shot about 120 rolls of film. A mix of kodak, Fujii, asa 400, 800 and a little 1600. There was a wildlife trip to shot eagles on the Skagiit(sp) river. There was a family vacation a couple of birthdays and Reno. For the first time ever, I got to be in Reno from Monday to Monday. Before I knew it, well 45 rolls just ran through my Canon EOS2. Well after fighting and paying the finishing bills and the ceremonial knashing of the teeth about this shot and that shot I decided to try digital.

What I like best is the immediacy (is that a word) of digital. When I am shooting film, with say a 400mm lens, and I am panning to try and get the aircraft and the start pylon compossed just so, well; it takes a few attempts. And you dont know until you get it home, so you better try a few more, and so on. With the digital, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by HiredBitSlinger
        And you dont know until you get it home, so you better try a few more, and so on. With the digital, you know.
        Not that I am knocking digital, lord knows I fill my share of memory cards at Reno and elsewhere, but you still don't really know until you get home, even with digital. I mean you can look at the little 1.8" LCD and get an idea if the image is framed right, but it is still hard, especially with something that moves as fast as air racing to know if you really had a good focus on the plane, and that there wasn't any motion blur, etc. I've had a few that I thought were great shots in the camera, only to find out something just wasn't right later on. I just knew that night in the hotel instead of a week later at home. If you've really got to get the shot, and you're not just doing it for fun, you've got to keep shooting anyway.

For me, digital is a great way to get a lot of shots quickly and cheaply, to try things out, check lighting, and get instant response to see if I am on the right track, to quickly and easily get photos onto a computer and the Internet, etc., but if I am looking for the best quality image I put away the CF cards and get out the film. I've got images I printed from digital hanging next to images I printed from scans of negatives, and there is still a long way to go to match the sharpness of a big negative (2-1/4 or 4x5) with digital (although I must say the F100 doesn't see a lot of use anymore). I use 'em both. The right tool for the job, I guess.
        Jeff Lo
        Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
        Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
          There's another consideration in the film vs. digital debate that hasn't been brought up yet and that is how long it takes you to recover your film and processing costs.
          Rick, that really is a huge consideration when you factor it all up and think about it. Looking at Wingman's situation is really a good example. With two in the family shooting, the film costs really do have to be factored in.

Yes, a good (very good) film body is quite a bit less than a comparable digital body, but then there is that annual cost for film.

In my case, I came into digital "early" in that I got one of the first "affordable" digital SLR's. I choke when I say affordable, having spent $5000. for that original Nikon D1 (now worth, maybe a fifth of that ) But taking into account the amount I'd have spent on film during the 4 seasons that I've shot that camera, even factoring in the additional storage I've purchased for it (cards, portable hard drive, etc) even with conservative film use, I'm probably at a break even, if I factor in the few prints and fewer publications that I've sold my work in.

There is no question that the technology has matured in the four years since I got my D1, which brings up an additional consideration. Obselence of one's equipment.

In the case of a film body, you can "upgrade" simply by buying the latest greatest film. In the case of a digital body, you're pretty much stuck at the level of tech that was available at the time of purchase.

There are MUCH better bodies out there now than the D1 that I own and use, does that make it obsolete? Not really but, it does put a person who tries to make a dollar or three with his equipment in a bit of a quandry.

Shooting airplanes for $$ is a HIGHLY competitive venture, others are going to have the "latest greatest" either in film or DSLR's, so where does that leave a person like me "stuck" with year 2000 technology, when we're now growing on half way through 2004...

I'll tell ya where it leaves ya.. WISHING YOU HAD ENOUGH TO BUY THE "LATEST GREATEST"

Fun discussion though, I still have a great camera and stuf out there to dream about... can't really knock that!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinLo
            For me, digital is a great way to get a lot of shots quickly and cheaply, to try things out, check lighting, and get instant response to see if I am on the right track, to quickly and easily get photos onto a computer and the Internet, etc., but if I am looking for the best quality image I put away the CF cards and get out the film. I've got images I printed from digital hanging next to images I printed from scans of negatives, and there is still a long way to go to match the sharpness of a big negative (2-1/4 or 4x5) with digital
            Jeff, though I've never actually seen a digital scan from a large or med format, the stuff I've seen coming from the new Canon 1dmkII is awfully clear. That is, if it's really images from the 1dII that are being thrown around out there.

8mp may not sound like that much more than say, 6mp, which is currently pretty common.. but wow, the images sure look good..

Dunno if it's in the large format arena yet but I've read things by those familiar with both and have seen comparisons made..

Ahh.... but for a few dollars more

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
              Jeff, though I've never actually seen a digital scan from a large or med format, the stuff I've seen coming from the new Canon 1dmkII is awfully clear. That is, if it's really images from the 1dII that are being thrown around out there.

8mp may not sound like that much more than say, 6mp, which is currently pretty common.. but wow, the images sure look good..

Dunno if it's in the large format arena yet but I've read things by those familiar with both and have seen comparisons made..

Ahh.... but for a few dollars more

Wayne
              Well, even scanning at a moderate resolution of 1200dpi gives you on the order of 4800x6000 pixels which is 28+MP. Some scanners go up to what, 4000dpi, although in most cases you're imaging every single grain in the film at 4000dpi. Think about it, an 8x10 print is only a 2x enlargement. Then again, I'd never try to shoot Dago (or even one of those slow biplanes ) coming around a pylon with a 4x5 (well maybe I would, but I'm kinda strange that way ). Now if I could get a couple of planes lined up just right at sunrise, and I wanted to make an enlargement that would cover the wall, I'll get out the big tripod and the 8x10 Provia 100F ($7.50 a sheet )... Like I said the right tool for the job.
              Jeff Lo

Comment

Check out this thread here.
                Most comprehensive online resource for nature photographers featuring photo sharing galleries, forums, adventure photography workshops, gear store, articles, and more.

You may need to register to see it, I don't know.

I have to agree with the second poster E.J. Peiker. Check out his website if need to see if he knows what he is talking about. He does not make a living from photography, but runs workshops, and went full digital a couple of years ago. With the 1DmkII, and soon a full frame 1DsmkII for landscape shooters, I think even many MF guys will make the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                  Check out this thread here.
                  Most comprehensive online resource for nature photographers featuring photo sharing galleries, forums, adventure photography workshops, gear store, articles, and more.

You may need to register to see it, I don't know.

I have to agree with the second poster E.J. Peiker. Check out his website if need to see if he knows what he is talking about. He does not make a living from photography, but runs workshops, and went full digital a couple of years ago. With the 1DmkII, and soon a full frame 1DsmkII for landscape shooters, I think even many MF guys will make the switch.
                  Arrguh... I hate to have to reg to see things!!! From what I've read though, I think there will be some MF guys who have pretty inactive MF bodies once the mkII comes out..

I'll have to salivate over it for a long while I think.. Looks like another season with my old D1..

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Just a quick note regarding film costs -- I order my film in bulk from New York. Right now Fuji Sensia 100 is listed at $2.89 per roll, Provia F at $4.49 per roll and Fuji processing mailers are $3.99 each. No tax paid if ordered from outside New York State. I've been very pleased with Fuji processing (after all they make the fim, so they have an obvious interest in getting it right). Film costs are always significant, but they do not have to be prohibitive.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                      Just a quick note regarding film costs -- I order my film in bulk from New York. Right now Fuji Sensia 100 is listed at $2.89 per roll, Provia F at $4.49 per roll and Fuji processing mailers are $3.99 each. No tax paid if ordered from outside New York State. I've been very pleased with Fuji processing (after all they make the fim, so they have an obvious interest in getting it right). Film costs are always significant, but they do not have to be prohibitive.

Neal
                      Neal, agreed, I was getting Fuji out of the fridge at Camera World, in bulk, plus developement was running about $10. total for film and processing..

Still, that adds up to something in the range of $1000. per 100 rolls..

Depending on how much you shoot, you're pushing toward that DSLR cost pretty quick at that rate. I think, currently, you're shooting mainly at Reno?

Add in PRS, a show or three, plus Reno, then Vegas and it does not take long to really have a staggering film bill..

It really amounts to, for me at least, just being able to do it ..

If I had to budget the film, as well as travel costs for shows, balanced against the "maybe" of selling some prints or shots for publication, it's just too lopsided to even think about doing..

I don't discount film as a viable format for many, and I'm sure it will continue to be used by many for years to come. Digital will, eventually edge it out for publication work (we may be seeing that process well in progress at this time) perhaps for prints as well. Certainly, the newest DSLR bodies rival the very best of 35mm for resolution, perhaps, the upcoming Canon body rivals not only 35mm, but maybe even medium format..

Someday, an anthropologist will pry your film body from your stiff and reluctantly clutching fingers.. and a thunder clap will echo from above.. and it will be...

Wayne
                      BUT.. PS... how bout some candidates for POTW selections??

You've sent me a few, but I can't remember if they were in the right size format... (1024x)

Have a particular favorite you'd like to see featured???
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        BUT.. PS... how bout some candidates for POTW selections??

You've sent me a few, but I can't remember if they were in the right size format... (1024x)

Have a particular favorite you'd like to see featured???
                        Yeah, me!
                        Jeff Lo

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinLo
                          Yeah, me!
                          LOL Jeff, not one of Wingman's but I'd thought I ran that one of you (that I still owe you the digital copy of) as a POTW once.. hummn.... mebbie soon then.....

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm an Imax guy, so for my buck - film's resolution & color qualities still can't be beat.

But .....

It looks like digital is coming a long way -

At least this new Kodak 14 MP model is upgradable. You no longer have to buy a new camera at every turn.

Rumor is Canon will have an 18 MP model available later this year. Their 11 MP version just came out.

Now, If we could only get that digital price point to come down!!!

Hans

Comment

Working...
                            X