No announcement yet.

More Mustangs in the desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, BTW I forgot to mention nice shot on the Bearcat. I am always jeolous of those type of pictures. I love looking at those kind of shots just wish I was the one behind the lens.

Someday...

Comment

Thanks! I know the feeling and trust me that I mean that. Getting A2A ops is not only hard, it's DARN hard!

Sue Petersen once told me when I saw some of her air to air and was drooling over it (I'd not done any at that point) that 90% of air to air is being there... and that's pretty true.

As long as the air is fairly calm, and or, the pilots are REALLY good at tucking in with you, it's more akin to static shots than action stuff... They are, more or less, stationary, relative to you.. Again, when the air is smooth. If it is bumpy, *then* you get to think really fast and worry i should say WORRY that you are going to totally screw up the opportunity!

I can't say I'll ever get another chance at A2A, and truthfully, I don't know if I ever will. I've gotten the chance by persistence and timing, and it's just fallen in my lap. I had the chance of a lifetime at Reno last year, riding with Steve Dilda in Felix for a timing start before the event. I'd been waiting for it for years, it finally happened and my D1 took a total dump on me. Yep... got some great shots.. all totally whacked due to some problem with the body (since fixed at Nikon for a pretty penny) but that's how it goes..

Hang in there, the chance will happen for you, make friends, be available, plan and scheme and be patient. I've missed WAY more than I've actually gotten and I thank the stars for that which I've been allowed to actually get. I've flown with the best...

Oh yea.. the worst part.. once you get to do it.. You will be ruined for life! It's more addicting than any drug!

*sigh*....

You are doing some really nice work !!!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

75-300mm with IS

You may want to check the owners manual that lense came with. It may not have IS that works for panning. I don't know this for sure. What I do know is that some of Canon's consumer zooms, and some older IS "L" lenses only have IS that helps with camera shake. The new "L" zooms like the 70-200mm f/2.8L have 2 modes of IS and a switch to set the mode you like. Mode 1 is for handholding, while mode 2 is for panning. I always leave it on mode 2 beacause if your not panning the lense behaves like it is in mode #1, the second you start to pan it goes into mode 2 automatically.

Well since you have now gone digital, looks like I'm going to have to get a 10D. I lust after the new 1D MkII, but I just can't swing that amount of money. I've got nothing left to sell to raise cash, except my soul to the devil.

Comment

IS Lens

Hey Tim,

How's the new house?

You may be right about the IS feature. According to the manual "the image stabilizer may not be effective in preventing blur if the following occurs: 1. The subject is fast moving..." Does a Mustang doing a fly-by count as fast moving?

I didn't go top dollar on the lens since the body took up most of the pennies I had saved. I just wanted to get something I could use in the interim until I could afford one of those f2.8, dual mode IS models.

Well since you have now gone digital, looks like I'm going to have to get a 10D. I lust after the new 1D MkII, but I just can't swing that amount of money.
          Me too. The 10D is not a bad alternative though. I'm pleased with mine.

Cheers,

Rick

Comment

New House

So far, so good on the house front. Trying to figure out how to afford to get to Reno, but I will be there, baring unforseen circumstances.

Comment

Working...
            X