Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOOD NEWS RARA Email: Seeking New Venue!: Where?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GOOD NEWS RARA Email: Seeking New Venue!: Where?

I heard it is Wendover UT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
      I heard it is Wendover UT.

Apparently, there was racing in Wendover 35 years ago...

Yes, it was an air show complete with rolls and dives and upside-down flying. But more than that it was air races where planes chased each other around a marked course no differently than what cars might on the ground. Over the two days the show/race was held, organizers say close to 20,000 people came out to this one-time military airbase on the outskirts of Wendover, two hours from downtown Salt Lake City, and watched.

Comment

I remember riding shotgun in a Harmon Rocket that was a sport class racer in 2003-2005 to meet in Wendover with a few other racers for an informal race. The memories are sort of vague to be honest, but it was a good place for a smaller event.

Comment

What about Fox Field Lancaster. I believe they had some races there years ago. Lots open space around the airport. Numerous motels in and around Lancaster, plus a huge Los Angeles area to draw from. Mojave has had races in the past too.

Comment

I think Mojave is out of the running. When the hwy 58 bypass around Mojave was constructed it plowed through the old unlimited course. Kevin.

Comment

Anyone know anything about this?

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

This mentions F1 and STOL.

Comment

Do you need a Passport to get in & out of Canada? A long drive for a lot of us.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    Do you need a Passport to get in & out of Canada? A long drive for a lot of us.
                    From the Government of Canada website:

U.S. citizens

U.S. citizens must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.
                    Lawful permanent residents of the U.S.

As of April 26, 2022, lawful permanent residents of the United States must show these documents for all methods of travel to Canada:

a valid passport from their country of nationality (or an equivalent acceptable travel document) and
                    a valid green card (or equivalent valid proof of status in the United States)
                    May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Someone on WIX suggested Wanaka, New Zealand. For obvious reasons I'd be in favour but the sheer cost to get everyone and everything down her is an absolute non-starter!

I'm afraid I have no suggestions but I'm very excited to read about all yours.
                      Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by Tec182 View Post
                        F1 isn't going, at least not this year. Sounds like STOL, and possibly some Sport class this time around.

Comment

More Options

I have been coming to the races from Florida since 1994 and it has always been a challenge getting to Reno.
                          I believe there are a lot of fans that live east of the Mississippi that would like to see a more geographically convenient venue considered.

With that in mind, I think Wichita Kansas may be viable. An historically aviation supportive community with many airports and infrastructure.

Another approach may be to look at a national listing of venues that currently host air shows such as Milavia. Some of them may be interested in adding air racing to their revenue stream.

Comment

Originally posted by DCLARK View Post
                            More Options

I have been coming to the races from Florida since 1994 and it has always been a challenge getting to Reno.
                            I believe there are a lot of fans that live east of the Mississippi that would like to see a more geographically convenient venue considered.

With that in mind, I think Wichita Kansas may be viable. An historically aviation supportive community with many airports and infrastructure.

Another approach may be to look at a national listing of venues that currently host air shows such as Milavia. Some of them may be interested in adding air racing to their revenue stream.
                            A quick look on google earth shows there is no room at either McConnell AFB or Dwight D Eisenhower to build a 9 mile course due to the many houses around. Also, one is an active AFB, the other is a major commercial airport. Neither will be interested in closing for a week to host an air race. I don't see any other that would work in the area either. Augusta Municipal only has one runway, I really don't see any others that have paved runways. Lots of grass strip airparks, but thats it.

Will

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
                              I was thinking of existing airports a little farther out such as EWK which is only about 25 miles north.
                              Anyway, back to the drawing board...

Comment

Originally posted by DCLARK View Post
                                Thanks for the comments.
                                I was thinking of existing airports a little farther out such as EWK which is only about 25 miles north.
                                Anyway, back to the drawing board...
                                I just looked at EWK, only one runway, not enough ramp space, and farmhouses all over the place.

To be a good candidate an airport must have at least 2 long runways, ramp space equal to Stead, good public access, food and lodging for 100K people, and most important, room to build a 9 mile long course. The slow sport, T6s, IF1 and Biplanes could use a shorter course, but if you want Sport Gold, or Unlimiteds, you are going to need about a 9 mile course with some error room around the border. This area can't have homes in the middle of it. This is the tough part.

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X