Server Move Upcoming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Move Upcoming!

I have to double check the lease period expiration date but pretty sure we have to the 22nd of this month to decide on best deal and make the move.

Since I don't really "lease" space to client websites (used to have a bunch of folks hosted here basically for free) any more, we can probably "get by" with a leased space unlimited storage portion of a server... with that option, we can still "host" domains we've protected for years, such as nagonline.org which no one ever asked to use... 20 bucks a year has kept it open.

That's on the one hand..

On the other hand, we've run on a private machine since the beginning.. We don't need the bandwidth but the security sure is nice..

I'm torn! I vacillate between the two concepts..

As I started writing this, I was leaning toward the much cheaper shared hosting option... right now, I saw screw it, we've NEVER been hacked, NEVER had a data breach... I know how to control the guts of the server in some pretty sneaky ways to keep it secure..

One way or other, I've got to get it done this week!

Expect some downtime! As well as som cached DNS issues always crop up so you may have to do a hard reset of your browser to clear... check google for procedure.. I'll try to find out what the new IP address will be and post it ahead of time
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Server Move Upcoming!

So, what do yu guys think? We have someone who will pick up the slack, but we could exist a LOT cheaper on a shared server.

What that would be is a guy like me in charge of an entire box would have access to everything on the box..

As long as you guys keep helping out so I don't have to ask too much from our supporter, I truly think that the best thing we now have to offer is AD FREE TRACKING FREE access to a public, well managed (keeping out the pee ricks who try to join and slop bs ad on us).

I'm gonna swallow the bullet and shoot for at lest a 2 yr contract... we have just over 2k in the bank.. I don't think anything in excess of 100 bucks a month per year is unachievable I just have to find the right host! Last year I got porked for twice that in advance!!!!!!!

Opinions welcome! Site needs a lot of work, much can be done with historical photo archives and such... I need to learn to code work with the coding program I used again!

PS... old ass brain seems to be working better lately..!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I say do what you think is best. You have been running this for more than 20 years, and I don't have a clue as to what is best.

Yes, we need to get the site updated across the board. Especially the front page so it doesn't look like the forum is dead as well as the site itself.

Will

Comment

This question is well over my head. But if hosting on your own server has worked all these years, why change it? If it - the general architecture, if you will - isn't broken, why change it?

Thank you, Wayne, for keeping this going. I genuinely appreciate it.

Comment

Clock is ticking, have till the 22nd of the month.. the cancellation of future racing threw me for a loop.. probably all the more reason to keep things going..

I've always tried to keep us on unlimited bandwidth for for outbound data... (people viewing images mostly) and I've not researched if we actually need it!

I pay a chitload more than I need to to ATT for their unlimited NO SLOWDOWN access on my cell phone... works great as a mobile hotspot... again, cost versus need??

I guess it's like having a bigger engine than you really need LOL it just feels good!

I was going to try to grab a 4 year contract... not knowing what's next.. I'll opt for a 12 month..

Still trying to find the most reasonable and trying to negotiate with current host to cut costs...

We have donations but I owe it to you'ALL to keep it to the best value for the bux!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Server Move Upcoming! RACEPLANES.COM ?

Update: *sometime* in the next 7 days, I will be either negotiating a better deal at current host or moving..

Shooting for getting a two year pre-paid lease for as close to $100. a month as possible.. We have to have the Cpanel control panel cause I aint no linux expert!! LOL.

You have to know how to execute command line (copy paste from cheat sheet but only for some stuff) I can not imagine managing all of the stuff the server from command line in Linux!!

I HAVE to do it in the next 7 days..

I am strongly thinking of renaming the site "RACEPLANES.COM" the AAFO thing was a carryover from the way search engines used to work (very simple) if you were alphabetically first, you got looked at first. And searches just for "air racing" were not getting much response So.... All Aviation Flightline Online was a good choice at the time

I've owned raceplanes.com since back when I could get domains for 4-5 bux a year... Having a server, I just parked them no extra cost.

RACEPLANES.COM

What do you think??
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

ok by me. Will my link to AAFO redirect to the new name?
              May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Working...
              X