Homebulit inlimiteds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homebulit inlimiteds

How about rebuilding one of these for airracing ? Two of them are in a museum in Finland.

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

And we thought Merlin parts were hard to find...
      Historical significance and reality aside, I don't think a Bf 109, even a K, could be much more competative than, say, a P-40 (or Sparky at a low power setting...).
      Technology passed that airframe before the mustang was born.

Just my opinion.

Fun to see fly tho.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I would love to see a real D-Benz powered 109 fly around the pylons, or anywhere for that matter. I have never had the opportunity to see or hear a Benz powered 109. As far as competing with the 51s who knows what would happen if the Benz was modified along the lines of the current racing Merlins.

David

Comment

David,

I'm sure they could modify the engine some but that airframe would just have too much drag. Just look at the supercharger intake.

Lewis

Comment

actually, a late model 109 such as a g-10, having the supercharger intake wouldn't matter much. the reason is the engine would produce enough hp to make the difference negligible. the late db 605 (used in the g-10) engines produced 2000 hp stock and had capacity for more.

think of it this way, if it could pull 2000 hp without the scoop, and then was added on, it would produce a something like 1999.998 hp. so it would really not matter.

one last reason it wouldn't be worth removing is the fact it's probably the most effective supercharger intake in the world, it has a 7 inch length a single 90 degree bend and then straight into the charger. it's better than any mustang chin scoop could ever hope to achieve, with the exception of possibly anson johnson's mustang.

also, the fluid stage supercharger design the db 600 series engines had may add some hp to merlins. has anyone ever tried it?
            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Good point on the scoop Matt. The 109 scoop's inlet and shape have a lot in common to the scoops on the current IRL cars. I am sure it is a very effecient design.

David

Comment

Hi All;

I really didn't think anyone was bothering to read my newsletter; Speed, Props & Pylons. This is Sharon Sandberg; John R. Sandberg's middle daughter.

Yes, we do have now in our possession Tsunami, her plans, her jigs, her trophies etc. Yes, building her is on my mind - I will be putting a full merchandise plan together with in the next 6 months.

Does any one in our family still have an interest in air racing???? Well it is hard to get it out of my blood. I am an insturment rated pilot (not current - working on this) and I dream nightly about the races. This is not so unusually since I was the only daughter who followed dad when I was younger - and not for the BOYS - in aviation but for the knowledge and love of aviation. I knew what a pylon was before I even saw one.

I am currently sponsoring Jimmy Leeward's racer Cloud Dancer - if you make Oshkosh or Reno notice the Speed, Props & Pylons logo on the fuselage. I also, currently do custom embroidery specializing in the aviation industry (this helped pay for my daughter college these last four years). We (my husband Duane Kruse, my mom Pat Sandberg and how ever else we can get to help man the booth) go to numerous avaition events throughout the year.

JRS was sold due to miss management by both my sister Janet M Sandberg Bjornstad and Stephen Bjornstad. In other words they robbed the family legally. Out of this ordeal I was able to obtain the Chipmunk that Dad bought for me in the late 80's - yes I had to buy it from the company. It was flyable in 1991 - we had to truck it out of the hangar this last year. It needs a complete restoration (which did I forget that my husband does reatorations!).

I hope this answers many of your questions and would love to continue to hear from all of you. You can always buy a t-shirt or two or one of the original prints signed by John R. Sandberg, Bruce Boland and Stephen Hinton or a cartoon image with everyone that was at the Wendover Speed Record in 1989.

Thanks Again for reading my newsletter. Sharon Sandberg
                SSandberg@aol.com

Comment

hello sharon, good to see you hear

i dunno if you remember me but i'm the long haired guy that bought a BUNCH of tsunami stuff last year including the big white jacket from '91. there's very little i would love more than to see tsunami fly again, i'll do anything i can to help. if i have a little extra cash (ya right) i will make sure to come around and get some stuff.

i think there's quite a few people around that would like to see her fly again.

all the luck in the world to you.

matt
                  heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Working...
                  X