Might this be 1/2 as fast as a P-38...?
    Attached Files
    Glenn Bloom
    www.helicopterpage.com

Comment

Re: Homebulit inlimiteds

Originally posted by CoastieAux
      Might this be 1/2 as fast as a P-38...?

Gads...it looks like one of those balsa wood wind-up models.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
        Or a reject from the latest "Flight of the Phoenix" remake.

Comment

Better than Wildfire!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Better than Wildfire!

Eric
            Eric, due to "problems" in the past, the board is now moderated for unregistered users. Meaning, I get an email (and I believe the mods do to, but I've not shown them how to approve a post yet) then it gets saved and shows up..

You're registered as Eric A. (not case sensitive but needs the period) and, if you've still got the old @aol address, I've just had the board email you your password again..

Enjoy the features and immediate access..

It's amazing, with moderated unregistered posts, there has not been one that I've had to not post!!

Anyway...

Nice seeing you here again

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The 1/2 P38 looks pretty cool. The proportions are right, it actually looks like it would fly fairly well.

The pilot should never get cold fingers with that turbo/supercharger right behind the seat!

David

Comment

Kinda looks a little like the pre-war midget racers. Tony LeVier would feel doubly at home...

Leo
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Cool..even a fragment of a Kelly C. Johnson P-38 could do a 500 mph lap.

I did an early airracer design with fuselage sidemounted radiators. One aerodynamist said it would not work..well Kelly knew it differently or he did it better.

Kelly was near to God.
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

So is Tigershark II going to be ready for Reno 2004, Juke?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      Better than Wildfire!

Eric

But WHICH 'Wildfire', Eric? The Statler/Beck 'Wildfire', or the Montagne/Rose "bastard-son-of-Machbuster" 'Wildfire'?

Oh nevermind. I guess it doesn't matter, does it?

Comment

David Rose's website shows the name as "Renegade", instead of "Wildfire".
                        Some new photos of work progress posted there also.

Aircraft for sale. Find the best new and used aircraft for sale such as business jets, helicopters, Experimental, Warbirds and more.

Comment

Renagade looks like it may work. I will hope for the best.

Wildfire on the other hand just doesn't look right to me. It seems kind of strange that the boom of a P38 with cockpit and wings looks like a more promising design than Wildfire.

I hope I am missing something with the Wildfire design. One thing that really looks odd to me is the main gear. The axels are right in front of the main spar. Most taildraggers have the axels near the leading edge. In the design drawings on the website the gear is raked forward and looks normal but on the actual plane it looks like they used a T6 gear mounted on the spar so the wheels would clear the leading edge. Of course a normal T6 has the gear mounted forward and bulges on the leading edge to accomodate the wheels/tires. Unless she has some type of lifting horizontal stablizer and the cg is way back on the wing I think she will be very tipsy on the gear. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up on her nose.

What do you think?

David

Comment

The Gear on wildfire are located in the stock T-6 location but a leading edge cuff was added to the wing. After the first flight that almost ended in disaster, skip was going to fly it and on his way out he did a break check and stood the thing on it nose. When they stuck the 2800 out front they mounted it right where the 1340 would sit instead of moving it back some, to makeup for the weight further forward they put that cuff on the leading edge to move the center of lift forward but didn't move the gear. So she is really nose heavy when she's on the gear. Only 100lbs on the tail wheel. It would be better off with a nose wheel.

Comment

So is Tigershark II going to be ready for Reno 2004, Juke?

Speeddemon,

I wish. I suppose it is rather a "papertiger" than anything else. I think name Tiny Star ( or Tiger ) fits it better.
                              Monumental trouble in funding to put it shortly. I don't even have a single aviator or modeller who'd be interested to do a 1/5 scale or such of it to study landinggear and flapssystem along with wing structure.

I say you need some "dough" to start making these or a "sugardaddy" somewhere to sponsor the project like Randy Haskin said some years ago.

I will try to see some ways to convince people here how great it would be to get a craft like that airborne here. People actually laugh loud behind my back because of that racer project. I guess I am becoming a sorta villagenut of aviation in Finland.

Last finnish aeroplane project was ATOL amfibian...5 sold two prototypes destroyed...nuthing to brag about.
                              Big success was Pik-20 fiberglass sailplane..hundreds sold world wide..that was some 30 years ago.

We finns are more concentrated on cellphones and icebreakers and such. Aviation is purely a playground for aerodynamists in Finland..anyone talking seriously about even designing an unlimited racer lacks a sense of judgement...I am against all odds.
                              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the reply on Wildfire. Now I can picture in my mind what they did. The wing looks much wider than a stock T6 and most of the additional area does seem to be in front of the spar. If one is very careful I suppose the gear might not be a problem but I would hate to try to get her down and stoppend in an emergency situation.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X