SERVER FEE FUND DRIVE 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SERVER FEE FUND DRIVE 2023

Kay, last year, I got blind-sided and wound up out of pocket for a huge portion of the server annual renewal fee.. I'd intended to cancel the "introductory" deal and negotiate a reasonable renewal rate (currently a crazy $2300-2600 annual renewal fee... and they don't even provide their own independent nameser system.. BUNCH OF BS !

So, anyway.... I'm almost 72, pretty sick overall, my RX costs have gone up TONS with a boatload of new meds to cure my ills...

SO, what I'm gonna ask is, send me a couple bucks for the annual renewal!

I'm totally going to move the server data to a new provider with a reasonable rate (really, realistically. they make good money on us at a hundred bucks a month (or less) we don't need to feed their greed at $200. buckers!

Anyway.. keep it modest, we don't want anyone to put themselves in a bind!! I'll pick up the slack if there is any and bankroll any surplus (should we be that lucky!)

TIA... getting ready to move is scary!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: SERVER FEE FUND DRIVE 2023

We need to make the site secure. If you hit the donation button you get this error...

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
    RENO AIR RACES DISCUSSION FORUM

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      We need to make the site secure. If you hit the donation button you get this error...

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
      RENO AIR RACES DISCUSSION FORUM

Will
      I was in the middle of recovering from my first seizure back when I first had to move the site due to the weather and power outages at the server farm we were at. When I made the move, we lost our Security Certificate and I failed to reinstall it.

We're' going to move in less than a month (unless I can negotiate a decent annual renewal fee with current host) so, I will wait till that time to reinstall the certificate.. in other words, I need to get my linux for dummies out of the closet LOL...

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

Long time lurker, Thanks for the website. I made donation with PayPal using the yellow button, Hope it will get to you OK.

Prayers for you.

Bill Francis

Comment

UPDATE!

I do not want to discourage anyone from pressing the donate button! A few bucks each, and nobody has to bear the burden.. That said, an as of now an ANONYMOUS supporter has stepped forward to pick up the slack!

It's been a tough year for me and I can not tell you what a relief it is to get this news!

I , for sure, will be turning off the invasieve google ads! I will, however, at least for not, leave up the donation buttons so we all can contribute a LITTLE BIT!! This site was meant to be self supporting... chit, that was almost 30 years ago LOL!! We have had some very generous souls who have supported me directly, I was able to be a presenter for a few things and produced a number of websites for the racers in the early days before facebook.

I still consider this place a safe haven!

I had it far more locked down before the Texas weather crises!

We can not settle down to being a historic vault of air racing photos, memories... without having to worry about what's next!

THANK YOU ANONYMOUS DONOR!!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

You guys are awesome! Despite me telling you we're covered, ya'll keep hitting the donate button. At this point, I'm looking into multiple year contract with, perhaps, major discounts! We could never even consider something like this in the past!

Things do change, and most likely, I'll croak sometime in the next 10-for sure-20 years (maybe a whole lot sooner) setting up the site to self-fund in perpetual action would be awesome!

Markers and RAd2LTR a a fair amount younger than me and I'm going to ensure they both have the ability to access the root of the server and keep this place alive!

Since we're able to keep an entire server and have the ability to add HD's to increase storage, as well as the bandwidth to stay online in drastic high traffic situations at RENO, the site does provide a service to the sport and I'm thrilled that I can start looking at how to keep it alive after I'm either gone or unable to manage it!

As for donations, keep em coming, I'm trying to wrap my mind around how to get rid of the google ads and their tracking software.. Once done, we will be completely independent of AD revenue! we will be totally membership sponsored.. That my friends, is awesome!!

Thank you to everyone who contribute to the content of this site as well as the financing of it!!!!!!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wow, that is awesome news. Thanks to everyone who has donated.

Will

Comment

Glad things have worked out buddy... the people here are pretty amazing, aren't they!!!

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                Markers and RAd2LTR are a fair amount younger than me and...
                That's a bit of a stretch there Mr Wayners - just a little bit younger is all. You know, I am going to reach full retirement age for social security (66 1/2 for me) in 12 months. A fair amount younger I'm not, but hopefully I have a few good years left in me. From my perspective with retirement right around the corner... the thought of leaving the work force for good and devoting 100% of my time to indulging myself is what I've been working for over the last 48 years. It's almost time for the real fun to begin!!!
                Mark K....

Comment

Hey Wayne, weird request, but do you have a Venmo account I can send funds too?
                  "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                    Hey Wayne, weird request, but do you have a Venmo account I can send funds too?
                    I do not, but give me a couple of weeks (we have about 4 before we need to renew/move) and I will get the server secure certificate activated ASAP then.. I could probably negotiate a better price with current host, they pissed me off though trying to negotiate back some of last year's fees... and their pricing when you renew is enormous! They offer a dirt cheap first year and make you make some DNS changes that make moving away more difficult, then double the annual fees with auto renew which I missed being down in Vegas last year in the "bus"

PS by edit:

We're covered for this year but, and I think I already said this, I'm looking for an outrageous multi year prepay deal..
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

mine went through, a modest sum as it was. Wayne, you better not "croak" soon dammit!

Comment

I sincerely don't know how to thank all of you who have helped keep this place alive! I don't think it of any great importance in the grand scheme of things LOL.. I can bask in the "glory" of the thought that, truly, AAFO was the first Internet publication that put out daily information.. way back in '97-'98.

I'm pretty sure most of that old stuff isn't on the server will have to check!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'll just throw it out there.. Anyone know of a really good, reliable, cheap server host?

Since I really don't have anyone actively living on this server, maybe a really good solid managed shared box might be a solution...

Personally, even though the best I'll prolly come up with will be $1200. a year (that'd be a really good deal!) It just gives me the willies thinking of this place being on anything but a SINGLE computer all alone operating shielded by tricky means...

Thinking I'll try for a really good multi year deal for a secure box sitting in a row of a bunch of others!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                        X