X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 1976

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
    1976 had both a P-39 and a P-63.

Remarkably, there was actually a third Cobra in attendance in 1976. This one actually was entered to race, unlike the other two. Lefty qualified #28, but was enlisted to race his P-38, which would have been in the same race. It was raced instead by Gary Levitz.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R76  7 copy for web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	232458
    Last edited by wingman; 01-19-2023, 02:40 PM.

Comment

As Neal remarks, there were undercurrents at the race in 1976. But Eric, Chris and I were elementary school kids so not really tuned in.

The RB was impressive but I'd seen the airplane a lot by then so it wasn't unfamiliar. We kids were more eager to ask Mac if he'd take us out on his houseboat on Lake Eufaula in Alabama as he had earlier that summer. There was a funny incident on the houseboat, famous in Tegler/McClain lore but of little interest to anyone else.

Sumthin' Else was pretty. Crocker was nice. I'll never forget playing DC-10 pilot a couple years later when he called Dad to say he'd be flying through BWI. John was a World Airways DC-10 captain. We hustled over to the airport where he ushered us through the gate after they'd unloaded passengers and we had the run of the cockpit for about an hour while Dad and John shot the breeze.

Meeting Gary Levitz was fun. John Sandberg looked busy. Nice little memories.

Jan
      Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
        Bob Love is listed in #96 "Grey Fox" owned by J. Brassfield, N109DW
        He was there, but pretty low profile, I think. Over the preceding 12 years his relationship with Reno had been pretty challenging.

Name:	R78         547  copy.jpg
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	232459

Comment

was there in '76. Was there in '72 (first race) anf got to see the P-39 land, taxi and shut-down. That was it. It was so nice to see it FLY and race in '76.

Sumpthin' Else: ALWAYS liked that plane. Always in the hunt, and finally won in '79 (although, I have to wonder since RB was sick). But I'm curious as to the history of the plane. I knew it was the ex-Burnstine "Foxy Lady", but what was the history of the plane PRIOR to Burnstine's ownership?

Comment

In referance to John Crockers P51 if you can find the N#" Mustangs Mustangs" probably has its history prior to John owning it. I also understand it is under rebuild?
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              In referance to John Crockers P51 if you can find the N#" Mustangs Mustangs" probably has its history prior to John owning it. I also understand it is under rebuild?
              - In 1964 Ed Fisher owned two Mustangs; N6321T which became "Miss Foxy Lady"(N70QF)/"Sumpthin' Else"(N51VC), and N5483V which became the original "Precious Metal".

- After John Crocker, N51VC was restored as a TF-51 and eventually became "Crazy Horse 2"(N351DT) owned by Stallion 51.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Lon Moer; 01-21-2023, 11:24 AM.
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

I have always loved this photo of Crocker's Racer in the clouds. I would like to think it's from a practice run, but it may have been during the Gold. I was not up on the nuances of things at the time, but John was running without much of any forward visiblity due to leaking propeller seals (that P-51H prop again!). He could only see a pylon as he was passing over it, and by all accounts was very high and wide. It's a real shame as he was the class of the field in 1976. He broke Darryl's 1975 qualifying record and ran great all week, finished far ahead of the second place airplane, and had it all just disappear due to deadline cuts...

Name:	R76--clouds01.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	232462

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                  I was a big fan immediately. It did not have the white airplane's pure elegance, but the brute force of the Baron was something to behold, for a newbie like me in 1976.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27075[/ATTACH]

Neal
                  The Red Baron with a ventral fin ?

How did I ever miss that ?

Well I was 14 years old back then.
                  Last edited by Jukka; 01-23-2023, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Hello Jukka -- there were reasons why all subsequent Griffon Mustangs settled on P-51H tails. As originally built the RB-51 had severe problems with directional stablility. It was described as a tendency toward "Dutch Roll". This was complicated by CG issues. They tried several iterations of tails with wider chord, more height, and at least two configurations of ventral fin, before Darryl G (a test pilot with great experience) helped with finding a final tail solution that worked.

Name:	Mo75   LeSanche589.jpg
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	232463

Name:	Mo75   LeSanche592.jpg
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	232464

Comment

Thank you Connor -- I'm glad you saw this thread. I just last night noticed your Reno thread from last fall which I had completely missed in my general neglect of AAFO. Very nice work there and I'd like to address it separately.

I'm glad you still are thinking about Crocker's Racer -- it is a really interesting and somewhat underappreciated airplane.

Neal

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27078[/ATTACH]
                      When I get around to finishing my Jeannie project, I'd really like to build Sumthin' Else next. It's just too good looking to not have a model of.

Comment

I'm a casual Reno fan and lurker here, not sure how I missed this thread, but I love all the old pictures. Thanks to everyone who posted.

"The pits were different back then. No canopies, work platforms, race trailers and campers -- just a bunch of guys on stepladders working on fighter planes."

Seems like everything has went in that direction the past few years.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

You are welcome!

Reno would not be Reno, in those days, without the irrepressible Howie Keefe and the eternal Miss America.This aircraft was already a long time Reno veteran. Howie was a showman...

Name:	R76   559  copy.jpg
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	232467

Clay Klabo was there with Iron Mistress. He was mid pack in 1976 but surprised everyone (including himself) by being top qualifier in 1977.

Name:	R76  copy.jpg
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	232468

Neal

Comment

Team Lefty...

Lefty qualified three Unlimiteds, and raced two. Not a bad year for another red white and blue Mustang, in the Bicentennial year 1976.

Name:	R76   raw0010 copy.jpg
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	232469

Comment

I became very fond of Lefty over the years. I actually met him in 1976 -- the same morning I did the "Team Lefty" photograph. He was just a guy starting the morning pulling cowl panels off the Mustang -- I only realised a year later who I'd been talking to. Lefty loved Racing -- I photographed his racing career from San Francisco to Miami. He always had a smile, when he was at an air race.

Name:	R76     687 copy 2.jpg
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	232470

Name:	R76     694 copy.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	232471

Comment

Team Lefty...

Lefty qualified three Unlimiteds, and raced two. Not a bad year for another red white and blue Mustang, in the Bicentennial year 1976.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27092[/ATTACH]
                                Lefty Gardner and Thunderbird were the Unlimited Champion in 1976.
                                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
                                X