Dago Red RC model - what a find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dago Red RC model - what a find!

A little back story first.... you know a while back; Wayne approached me about maybe helping him out coving the Miss A story for the aafo website. Soon after that I started looking back into what was the current haps on Dago Red. I knew about pretty much everything that had happened over the years, but an old love dies hard - had to scratch that itch. Not too much longer I stumbled across this - a fully built & detailed remote-control Dago Red RC airplane.

She was a pretty thing, but best of all - the company that built the RC model (FMS) really detailed her out, including a lot of the stickers and all. For me, and since I used to be a crew member, that meant looking very closely at every one of them. Needless to say it was a huge shocker when I started looking and discovered that my fricken' name was listed on the side of the model (photo 4 below - second name from the bottom). So naturally I had to buy one! After waiting for the backordered item to again be in stock (13 months later! - it's made in China and probably has been sitting in Long Beach for that time waiting to be unloaded. LOL) it's finally here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	242825Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	242826Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	242827Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	242828Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	242829

I couldn't be happier with the overall quality... and am looking forward to making it my main feature in my air racing room, along with all my other Dago & air race memorabilia. You might notice that on the 1st photo you also see a picture of Voodoo, Miss A, and the Thunder Mustang models also made by the factory in the same scale (3 1/2 foot wingspan).... don't you think it would look pretty cool in your air race room to have two of the racers you've been closely connected to racing around a miniature scale Reno pylon? Maybe next payday LOL

Attn: Smee Again... look at photo 5 sir! You're there too!!!!
    Mark K....

Re: Dago Red RC model - what a find!

Mark,
    That is RAD! The fact that it even has your name on it just makes it a must have. Nice find and score. Its a great way to start the year off.

Will

Comment

Can you still buy the kit & how much? Any info.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

How about a link for the rest of us??
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          Mark, That is RAD! The fact that it even has your name on it just makes it a must have. Nice find and score. Its a great way to start the year off.
          Will
          It's certainly a must have for me... just glad I found it! Made my Christmas for sure!

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
          Can you still buy the kit & how much? Any info.
          Yes, the kits are in stock at Tower Hobbies (links right below)
          All are priced at $289.99
          Dago Red
          Miss America
          Voodoo
          Blue Thunder
          Product Details - Key Features
          • Oversized power system: 3948- 900kV motor, 80A brushless ESC, 9g digital metal servos
          • Highly realistic: Forward tilting landing gear, scale four-bladed propeller, functional flaps, engine exhausts, air intake, wing fences
          • Oversized battery compartment: able to accept up to a 4,000 mAh pack for extended flight times
          • Metal trunnion landing gear
          • Ball-linked pushrods for precision control
          • Built with robust EPO material

In The Box
          • (1) P-51D Mustang 1100mm PNP
          • (6) 9g Servos (installed)
          • (1) Brushless 3948-900KV Motor (installed)
          • (1) 80A ESC (installed)
          • (1) Product Manual

Needed to Complete
          • Receiver, Transmitter, 14.8V 2600mAh 35C Li-Po battery with EC5 Connector and appropriate charger

Overview
          Scale detailing and upgraded electronics are impeccably integrated: the FMS 1100mm Dago Red features a realistic four-bladed propeller, forward tilting landing gear, functional flaps, engine exhausts, air intake and wing fences.

Built with robust EPO material and painted with environmentally friendly water-based paint, the Dago Red looks gorgeous at any speed and altitude. Reach speeds in excess of 90 mph with the highly efficient four-bladed prop, 900kV motor, 80A ESC and when paired with a 14.8V 2,600 mAh battery.

Feel the heart pounding exhilaration of an unlimited class air racer with the FMS 1100mm Dago Red today!
          Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 01-08-2023, 04:35 PM.
          Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
            A little back story first.... you know a while back; Wayne approached me about maybe helping him out coving the Miss A story for the aafo website. Soon after that I started looking back into what was the current haps on Dago Red. I knew about pretty much everything that had happened over the years, but an old love dies hard - had to scratch that itch. Not too much longer I stumbled across this - a fully built & detailed remote-control Dago Red RC airplane.

She was a pretty thing, but best of all - the company that built the RC model (FMS) really detailed her out, including a lot of the stickers and all. For me, and since I used to be a crew member, that meant looking very closely at every one of them. Needless to say it was a huge shocker when I started looking and discovered that my fricken' name was listed on the side of the model (photo 4 below - second name from the bottom). So naturally I had to buy one! After waiting for the backordered item to again be in stock (13 months later! - it's made in China and probably has been sitting in Long Beach for that time waiting to be unloaded. LOL) it's finally here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27049[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27050[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27051[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27052[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27053[/ATTACH]

I couldn't be happier with the overall quality... and am looking forward to making it my main feature in my air racing room, along with all my other Dago & air race memorabilia. You might notice that on the 1st photo you also see a picture of Voodoo, Miss A, and the Thunder Mustang models also made by the factory in the same scale (3 1/2 foot wingspan).... don't you think it would look pretty cool in your air race room to have two of the racers you've been closely connected to racing around a miniature scale Reno pylon? Maybe next payday LOL

Attn: Smee Again... look at photo 5 sir! You're there too!!!!
            So happy to see you happy about *something*!! You been through just about, if not, the toughest thing a man can go through!

Truly we both have Doctor Brent Hisey to thank for this!

He knew I was down in the dumps about needing a reason to go to RENO 2022.. He invited to "embed" with the team, I don't live in OK city and Markers does, I didn't need my camera body any time soon...

A bunch of cool stuff just came together...

Now for the main event!! CONGRATULATIONS Not only was your name immortalized on the real DagoRed, NOW, on this cool model!!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That is too cool, what a great moment and how amazing it must have been to see your name on it! Awesome!
              Zac in NZ

Comment

Seen this 1/96 scale Mustang yet ?

The previous two versions of retracts in this 4.6" wingspan P-51 used muscle wire that never worked reliably. This video shows version 3.0.The retract mecha...

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
                  Seen this 1/96 scale Mustang yet ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qI6jaAT250&t=53s
                  No I haven't seen that one... cute little thing.
                  Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
                    No I haven't seen that one... cute little thing.

It took him 3 years to catch it on a video.

Flies at scale speed of M3.

This is a long-awaited flight video of my 1:96 scale P-51. It used to be a very unreliable flier, and I never managed to video any of its few successful fli...

Comment

So, after getting the RC plane put together - it became apparent that this was going to take a little bit more room to display this correctly then what my home office has to offer. It also became apparent that doing this would cause a lot of the office space walls to be blank - so I decided to take everything down, patch all the holes, and start again new. I finally finished my Dago Red Tribute Wall - and yes, it is in my main living room. Since the wife passed away, I figured that it was time to make the whole house into my personal man cave. Besides, the living room had the perfect area for the model.

The 1st photo shows the tribute wall, the second two are close-ups of the RC model. I included a couple other things two in the tribute wall beside the photos & the RC model. One is the wooden model I purchased back in 1995/96 when David Price brought out the aircraft to Reno, another pic shows the two trophies that Terry Bland handed out to the crew members for 1999 & 2002. The last one, and my most prized possession, is one of the spark plugs of the Mystery Aire racing merlin used in Dago during the 2003 record race on Friday Sept. 12th... fastest lap 512.164mph, avg speed 507.105mph. The trophy was originally envisioned by Kerch, and although it was not given to the crew members before his passing... the plugs were found in Kerch's belongings with a note - and in no small part due to the efforts of Steve Barthoff, Michael Luvara, and Nancy Teets... they made one of Kerch's last wishes happen, and it really caps-off a stunning time that I was fortunate to be a part of.

Funny thing is that while I was nearing the finishing stages I came to the realization that in my 65 years on this big rock... that was my peak! And you know what... I am damn good with that!!! Looking back at everything I've done, that was without doubt some of the best years with some of the best people I've ever known. Those memories will last a lifetime, just as the time I'm spending now with Brent & Miss America (the left side of the wall needs to be completed too - right?).

Click image for larger version

Name:	022223_01.jpg
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	232485Click image for larger version

Name:	022223_03.jpg
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	232487Click image for larger version

Name:	022223_02.jpg
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	232486Click image for larger version

Name:	022223_04.jpg
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	232488Click image for larger version

Name:	022223_06.jpg
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	232489Click image for larger version

Name:	022223_05.jpg
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	232490
                      Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 02-22-2023, 07:48 PM.
                      Mark K....

Comment

That is very cool, Mark. Being a member of this sort of crew is a life changing experience, which adds hugely to the Air Race experience. Incredible people, incredible airplane. I still think Dago after Kerch was probably the fastest Mustang ever.

I remember well the day you invited me up to top of the Dago trailer, and we watched Tiger blow the enire induction system off of Strega. The sound was impressive from the top of the trailer.

There's your name -- front and center...

Neal
                        Attached Files

Comment

Mark, it is soo heart warming for me to see you happy, interested again in air racing! You now have the chance to embed with yet another Mustang race team, SO very happy for you... Wall looks GREAT! Hope to do something like that down in my BIG shop... Whole house man-cave... great concept! LOVE IT!!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Great job Mark. Yes Air Racing has been in my blood since being at the 1946-1949 Cleveland National Air races as a tennager with Jimmy DeSanto racing with only 23 minutes of flight time in a P-38. (Self Taught)
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

That is an awesome wall, and display. I hope to be able to assemble something like that someday. Its a really cool tribute to a team that was very hard to beat. Its something to be proud of.

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X