Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I created a new Flickr account, if you need a Reno photo fix, have a look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I created a new Flickr account, if you need a Reno photo fix, have a look.

I've got Reno 2016-2022 (not done with my 2022 stuff so the album isn't complete) as well as Oshkosh 2018 and 2019. A fwe other albums are there as well. I will add more as I get them uploaded. Have look if you are interested.

Will

Re: I created a new Flickr account, if you need a Reno photo fix, have a look.

Fantastic! It looks really good!
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      I've got Reno 2016-2022 (not done with my 2022 stuff so the album isn't complete) as well as Oshkosh 2018 and 2019. A few other albums are there as well. I will add more as I get them uploaded. Have look if you are interested.

Will
      Those are amazing photos. What type of equipment do you use? I just bought a Canon R6 with a couple RF lenses. What are some of the setting you use? I have been taking pictures most of my life but never got the quality you have achieved. I have shot some raw files just need to figure out how to convert them. Planning on trying Adobe Light Room. I like the black and white ones they look like a pencil charcoal sketch. Thanks for posting on your Flicker Account. I might have to try that if I can get some good pictures. Sometimes it hit or miss with me. LOL
      Last edited by marke; 12-26-2022, 01:48 AM.
      Mark G. Ehlers

Comment

Originally posted by marke View Post
        Those are amazing photos. What type of equipment do you use? I just bought a Canon R6 with a couple RF lenses. What are some of the setting you use? I have been taking pictures most of my life but never got the quality you have achieved. I have shot some raw files just need to figure out how to convert them. Planning on trying Adobe Light Room. I like the black and white ones they look like a pencil charcoal sketch. Thanks for posting on your Flicker Account. I might have to try that if I can get some good pictures. Sometimes it hit or miss with me. LOL
        Mark,
        If you click on one of the pics it has all the info, camera, lens, shutter speed ect. I shoot Nikon. I have a D600, D810, and D850, and now, a whole lot of fast glass. 16-200mm in F2.8, 300 F2.8, and now, a 500 F4E (I didn't intend to buy this, but won the ebay auction with the minimum bid, and the bid was $2500 below market value.) as well as a 200-500 F5.6 (my most commonly used lens). I have a couple Tokina lenses (16-28, 24-70 and 100, all F2.8) and everything else is Nikon glass. Some of it is old (My 35-70 F2.8D lens is my favorite mid range lens. Its 23 years old.) I process everything in Lightroom 6, always shoot in RAW. for the black and white conversion I use a program called Silver Efex, part of the DXO NIK collection. That said, I don't like Lightrooms monthly fee to use. I am actively looking for another editing program, but I've found they are either too simplified and do everything for you, or are clunky and difficult to navigate. Lightroom is the most streamlined program I've found. I really want to give Capture One another go, but their website is wonky and won't let me register the trial version in order to use it.

Getting good pics takes practice. LOTS of it. Personally I still shoot like I'm shooting film, I pretty well know where I want the image to happen, and I shoot perhaps 1 frame every couple seconds, allowing the camera to refocus and lock between shots. Do I miss some shots? Sure. Do I get some pretty amazing shots? You bet. You just have to find and develop a method that works for you. For aviation photography, you might check out Moose Peterson's book "Takeoff The Alpha to Zulu of Aviation Photography." In the end, practice and patience is what will pay off. Trial and lots of error is part of the learning curve. Looking through pics on flickr individually can be very insightful if the metadata is included with the image (mine always is, but there are plenty of pics on there that give no data at all.) If you see a pic that makes you think "how did they do that?" click on it and often you will find the camera and settings. I have to guess when the metadata isn't included, it might be a very photoshopped image and the original data is completely lost.

In the end, practice, experiment, get creative. The great thing about digital is that a bad pic costs you the same as an epic one. There is no film to waste, or developing costs for a blown shot.

Will

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Looks like you have some good camera equipment. Those on-line deals sometimes are great. I was thinking about getting a another telephoto lense probably a Tamron , I like their prices and maybe a Canon Doubler . I just bought some close up extinctions to try out too. They are lots of fun . I like to do experimenting. Aviation photography is my favorite. Love those Race Planes and Cars. My brother has a shop called Rising Sun Performance. I really enjoyed seeing the vintage Datsuns and other cars. Thanks for the pointers. Keep that shutter going.

Maneuver Complete
          Last edited by marke; 12-26-2022, 09:13 PM.
          Mark G. Ehlers

Comment

Before you buy, do your homework. I have taken to looking up the lens on flickr and scrolling through all the pics taken with the lens in question. It will allow you to see a good representation of what the lens can produce. You can see if it will flare a certain way, or sunstar, or if the contrast on it is good. Its not as good as shooting with it yourself, but at least you can get a good idea of what the images will look like. This is one of the reasons I bought my first Tokina lens, the 16-28 F2.8. I looked at all the images I could find and really liked how blues were rendered, and how it would sunstar. It was also pretty darned sharp. Since there are generally a good number of pics in a gallery for a specific lens, you can also see how other people shoot it and the settings they use. In my case I find myself looking at big lenses to see how they do at slow shutter speeds. for the most part, nobody shoots big lenses slow, but every once in a while you will find someone who has posted a slow speed shot and you can learn a lot about whether or not it will work for you. (that reminds me, I need to post a bunch of my stuff to the Nikon 500 F5.6PF Flickr group. There were no slow shutter speed shots there, and yeah, it can be done. )

As far as using teleconverters, do your homework on those. When I was researching my 300 F2.8 I found a review who was testing the sharpness loss between the lens straight, the lens with a TC, and the next longest lens closest to the equivalent focal length. I was blown away when I discovered that some work better than others. Heck, in the case of the Nikon 1.4TC, if used on the 400 F2.8E it becomes a 560 F4, that is sharper at F5.6 and greater than the 500 F4E. That is no small feat. That said, the old version of the 1.4TC wasn't a good TC with some lenses, and great with others. Its a crapshoot. That said, I have a 1.4 and a 2X now. (The 500 F4E with the 1.4 will be a 700 F5.6, and that could be interesting from my spot on the hillside, if I'm good enough to hand hold something that long with a 1/100 or slower shutter speed)

For Canon, it sounds like both Sigma and Tamron have come a long way with their lenses. I know a few people who shoot one or the other and they like them. A little heavy for the really big ones, but that goes with the territory.

Will

Comment

Working...
            X