Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Czech Mate

Default Czech Mate

Just finished.
    Insulated cups, coffee mugs, etc. available soon!

Blue Skies Sherm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Czech-final.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	813.2 KB 
ID:	27045  
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Default Re: Czech Mate

She looks good, Sir! I'll miss her and Mr. Smoot ripping up the sky! Thanks for posting!

....still heartbroken

-spinny
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Thumbs up Re: Czech Mate

Awesome drawing/painting.

What is the efficiency of those clipped props ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Awesome drawing/painting.

What is the efficiency of those clipped props ?
    Simplicity. When Precious Metal had the clipped prop tips CNC profiled it picked up 56 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Nuts View Post
    Simplicity. When Precious Metal had the clipped prop tips CNC profiled it picked up 56 MPH.
    So they are very efficient then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    So they are very efficient then.
    Let me expand on my reply. When a propeller that is too large is fitted to an airplane the blades are shortened with a straight cut because it is simple and costs less not for efficiency. Attached is a photo of a CNC profiled blade on Precious Metal which gave a 56 MPH increase in speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5416.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	27046  

In the case of Czech Mate, I believe the prop was actually too small for the power produced, but it HAD to be the size it was due to the lack of ground clearance. They still had to run the oleos pumped all the way up, as well as take off and land in a 3 point attitude, like Rare Bear, for the same reason.

The square tips may or may not have been efficient, it might have been interesting to see if reprofiled tips would have given them more speed they way they did with Precious Metal. Sadly we will never know. I think CM could have had more speed in it with some further refinements, but who knows. Hopefully the interest to build a similar racer will be kindled and we can find out in the future.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    In the case of Czech Mate, I believe the prop was actually too small for the power produced, but it HAD to be the size it was due to the lack of ground clearance. They still had to run the oleos pumped all the way up, as well as take off and land in a 3 point attitude, like Rare Bear, for the same reason.

The square tips may or may not have been efficient, it might have been interesting to see if reprofiled tips would have given them more speed they way they did with Precious Metal. Sadly we will never know. I think CM could have had more speed in it with some further refinements, but who knows. Hopefully the interest to build a similar racer will be kindled and we can find out in the future.

Will
    Not to be insensitive or morbid, but is there anything left of CM's airframe to rebuild? I've seen the same question already come up about Texas Raiders, and there are hundreds of photos that answer that question. In CM's case, there are probably only a select few people that have seen the remains, so it makes one wonder. Could this be a similar situation to Tsunami?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    Not to be insensitive or morbid, but is there anything left of CM's airframe to rebuild? I've seen the same question already come up about Texas Raiders, and there are hundreds of photos that answer that question. In CM's case, there are probably only a select few people that have seen the remains, so it makes one wonder. Could this be a similar situation to Tsunami?
    Thanks.
    I have no clue what was left. I'm sure it could be rebuilt as Yaks are a tube frame fuselage, but I think it would make sense to start over with a new airframe altogether. There are plenty of Yak 11s out there. Add a wing with a better airfoil and perhaps move the cockpit forward (from where CMs was) a little, and off you go.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    Thanks.
    From the story it was hard to determine how the impact was, but the prelim NTSB report had a photo of CM?s attitude towards the ground, and I would say there isn?t much left.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '21