Dallas midair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas midair

NOVEMBER 14: The Commemorative Air Force Announced on Monday the names of the six crew members killed in Saturday’s mid-air collision involving the Texas Raiders B-17 Flying Fortress and the P-63 Kingcobra: Terry Barker - Keller, Texas Craig Hutain - Montgomery, Texas Kevin “K5” Michels -

Re: Dallas midair

You Tube has several videos of the incident. I think the Bell P63 was @ Reno this year. Prayers & thoughts to all involved.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
      You Tube has several videos of the incident. I think the Bell P63 was @ Reno this year. Prayers & thoughts to all involved.

Reported as Texas Raiders B-17 and the Houston Wing's P-63 King Cobra....

Comment

It appears that the P63 was in a turn and likely never had visual contact with the B17.

Comment

This one is up there with the loss of the F2G for me. The P-63F had so much history as a Cleveland & Reno racer, and even wore a gorgeous civilian scheme at one point. She will be very missed.

Prayers for everyone involved. Losing one aircraft and crew is hard enough, two hurts more than words can describe.
          Last edited by GRNDP51; 11-12-2022, 05:18 PM.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

No words or thoughts can bring solace.

My last memory of her was at Meacham in Fort Worth four or five years ago. She was doing take offs and landings for the better part of an hour. I was just sitting there at the South end of the field. It was the most peaceful day for me in years at that point. She sounded wonderful and made me proud to know what she represented then.

Warbirds always bring a tear to my eye when I see one flying. Is it the jubilation of being able to see and hear this aerial art in motion? Is it the thought of all that the plane represents from our past? Is it jealously of being bound here on the dirt while the person behind the instruments is getting to live out their dreams? Is it all of them?

With that, I cried like a baby seeing this happen! The memory of her doing lazy patterns around the field that day immediately came to mind. Seeing this happen brings sorrow and deep regret. A profound wave of sorrow and regret knowing that there are families who are less wholesome now. A feeling of sorrow and regret knowing that this horrific event is now forever etched in to the minds of thousands on the ground there in Addison, just as in Reno not to long ago. I feel for all who are affected by this tragedy.

I for one, am now a little more empty knowing that this happened. I kept my thoughts to myself after Reno and what happened there. As was in the posts, we all process differently. I get that. For years now, I have wondered when the end will be. By that, when will we never be able to sit at the end of a runway and see that beautiful piece of art do lazy circles in the sky? When will the sounds of in-lines and round pounders be forever stricken from the open air?

In my mixed in anger with all of this, one day, sooner than later, this will come to pass. It will happen and no one will have any say in the matter as the decision will be made by those with more pull. I hope that I am wrong.

I hope that the races continue. I hope that airshows like this one continue. In what form or fashion remains to be seen. Days like this just really make it hard to keep the faith. Heroes like them can never be replaced. Their thoughts, their knowledge...everything...selfless until the end. God Speed all of you!!

Texas Raiders will forever be flying those circles in my mind.

And she will FOREVER be one of the original ladies of my childhood Confederate Air Force!!
            John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              Pretty Polly Palm Springs Air Museum, not the CAF's.

Comment

Great words of wisdom by John (ArmyMP) Yes a tribute to all who race & fly at airshows Prayers & thoughts once again to all involved.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

I saw Texas Raiders Last Year At a Airshow in East Texas. They were such a nice crew. They gave me a tour of the airplane. They will be missed with the Pilot of the P-63. I was planning on going to the Airshow Saturday, wanting to take pictures of the P-63, one of my favorite airplanes but was not feeling well that Day. Prayers for family, friends flight crews and those who saw the tragedy. I am so said we lost more of those precious few. I am in shock...Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0092c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	232419

MarkClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0095a.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	232420
                  Mark G. Ehlers

Comment

The B-17 "Texas Raiders" performed the Tora routine at Reno a couple of times in the late 1970's.

The P-63F raced at Reno a couple years in the late 1970's, flown by Lefty Gardner, Steve Hinton and Don Whittington.
                    - Bill Whittington also flew it in the 1979 Miami/Homestead air races.
                    Attached Files
                    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

No attached images show up.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

We are all heart broken due to this incident. My sincere condolences to everyone involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
                          We are all heart broken due to this incident. My sincere condolences to everyone involved.
                          Thank you Juke! Somehow, I've always considered you sort of a brother from a different country over the years. FaceBook gives me the opportunity to see you as who you are. Thank you very much for thinking of the warbird community!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Thank you Juke! Somehow, I've always considered you sort of a brother from a different country over the years. FaceBook gives me the opportunity to see you as who you are. Thank you very much for thinking of the warbird community!
                            Yes Wayner !

I feel the same. I have been an air racing fan since I first heard of the sport. Attending many air shows also in Farnborough in 1976 where I saw the US bicentennial colored F-15 Eagle. Some years back we had a very fruitful conversations with Bart and Eric A. here about air racer designs. My hopes to create my own racer (sorta Tsunami lineage) is a bit fading now as the economical situation has not developed into the direction as it would need to have. But you never know...I am 60 now...and some racing legends are over 70 years old. Making wind turbine prototypes gives me a good understanding about new structures ...at least in wood...but my aim is to make them out of metal....so there is a slight chance. BTW the McDonnell Aircraft corporation 1975-1981 construction of the Giromill VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine) is my main focal point in this new design...as very few alike have been built hitherto with articulating wings/blades.

Godspeed everyone !

Comment

The NTSB preliminary report for this accident has been released.

NTSB Report

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X