Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas midair

Default Dallas midair

Default Re: Dallas midair

You Tube has several videos of the incident. I think the Bell P63 was @ Reno this year. Prayers & thoughts to all involved.
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    You Tube has several videos of the incident. I think the Bell P63 was @ Reno this year. Prayers & thoughts to all involved.

Reported as Texas Raiders B-17 and the Houston Wing's P-63 King Cobra....

It appears that the P63 was in a turn and likely never had visual contact with the B17.

This one is up there with the loss of the F2G for me. The P-63F had so much history as a Cleveland & Reno racer, and even wore a gorgeous civilian scheme at one point. She will be very missed.

https://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airfram...p?Serial=59735

Prayers for everyone involved. Losing one aircraft and crew is hard enough, two hurts more than words can describe.
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 11-12-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '21

No words or thoughts can bring solace.

My last memory of her was at Meacham in Fort Worth four or five years ago. She was doing take offs and landings for the better part of an hour. I was just sitting there at the South end of the field. It was the most peaceful day for me in years at that point. She sounded wonderful and made me proud to know what she represented then.

Warbirds always bring a tear to my eye when I see one flying. Is it the jubilation of being able to see and hear this aerial art in motion? Is it the thought of all that the plane represents from our past? Is it jealously of being bound here on the dirt while the person behind the instruments is getting to live out their dreams? Is it all of them?

With that, I cried like a baby seeing this happen! The memory of her doing lazy patterns around the field that day immediately came to mind. Seeing this happen brings sorrow and deep regret. A profound wave of sorrow and regret knowing that there are families who are less wholesome now. A feeling of sorrow and regret knowing that this horrific event is now forever etched in to the minds of thousands on the ground there in Addison, just as in Reno not to long ago. I feel for all who are affected by this tragedy.

I for one, am now a little more empty knowing that this happened. I kept my thoughts to myself after Reno and what happened there. As was in the posts, we all process differently. I get that. For years now, I have wondered when the end will be. By that, when will we never be able to sit at the end of a runway and see that beautiful piece of art do lazy circles in the sky? When will the sounds of in-lines and round pounders be forever stricken from the open air?

In my mixed in anger with all of this, one day, sooner than later, this will come to pass. It will happen and no one will have any say in the matter as the decision will be made by those with more pull. I hope that I am wrong.

I hope that the races continue. I hope that airshows like this one continue. In what form or fashion remains to be seen. Days like this just really make it hard to keep the faith. Heroes like them can never be replaced. Their thoughts, their knowledge...everything...selfless until the end. God Speed all of you!!

Texas Raiders will forever be flying those circles in my mind.

And she will FOREVER be one of the original ladies of my childhood Confederate Air Force!!
    John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Pretty Polly Palm Springs Air Museum, not the CAF's.

Great words of wisdom by John (ArmyMP) Yes a tribute to all who race & fly at airshows Prayers & thoughts once again to all involved.
    Lockheed Bob

I saw Texas Raiders Last Year At a Airshow in East Texas. They were such a nice crew. They gave me a tour of the airplane. They will be missed with the Pilot of the P-63. I was planning on going to the Airshow Saturday, wanting to take pictures of the P-63, one of my favorite airplanes but was not feeling well that Day. Prayers for family, friends flight crews and those who saw the tragedy. I am so said we lost more of those precious few. I am in shock...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0092c.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	27028

MarkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0095a.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	27029
    Mark G. Ehlers

The B-17 "Texas Raiders" performed the Tora routine at Reno a couple of times in the late 1970's.

The P-63F raced at Reno a couple years in the late 1970's, flown by Lefty Gardner, Steve Hinton and Don Whittington.
    - Bill Whittington also flew it in the 1979 Miami/Homestead air races.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers