Connor Madison Experience Reno '22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connor Madison Experience Reno '22

I wanted to start my own thread as I feel like my photos got buried in the overall photo thread.

It was also my first time on the Pylons so there's my experience to discuss. For starters I will say it was wayyy harder than I thought it would be, my level of appreciation for the epic photos from the past and present has grown immensely. I went in with the thought that this would be my last trip to Reno as I had finally achieved the goal of shooting on the pylons. That said, I was not really satisfied with my pylon stuff and made some new September friends so I fully plan on being back next year!

Still have a lot to go through, but we'll start here...

This is Reno by Connor Madison, on Flickr

Formula One by Connor Madison, on Flickr

P-63 Pretty Polly by Connor Madison, on Flickr

Shanty Irish by Connor Madison, on Flickr

P-51 Bardahl Special by Connor Madison, on Flickr

P-63 Pretty Polly by Connor Madison, on Flickr

P-51 Bardahl Special by Connor Madison, on Flickr

-Connor

Re: Connor Madison Experience Reno '22

Reno is a whole different ball game. Guess what, next year will be different. That is one of the great things about Reno, it always throws new challenges at you. You pretty well know what to expect, and the next thing you know, "I wasn't expecting that..." This year was especially hard since the smoke was so bad and there were so few actual races, essentially no ramp shoots at sunrise or sunset, and the light out on the pylons was terrible at best. (Except Sunday afternoon.) I really hope next year is better.

Good stuff, thanks for posting, and please post more as you can.

Will

Comment

Great photos. Yes go back in 2023.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Hi Connor. I managed to miss this when you put it up a month ago. Like Bob, I certainly think you should go back this year. What you came up with here certainly justifies a return. The Pylons are a totally unique environment, and a unique shooting challenge (and opportunity). I did it for thirty years and never got tired of trying to do it better.

I'm really interested in seeing more photos, and hearing more about what you thought of the whole thing. Did you enjoy the sound? Photography-wise what was harder than you expected? What were the biggest surprises? How satisfied are you with what you got? How much pylon time did you get, and did you think it was enough?

Here's a shot of a pylon. That's Bucky Dawson on the right. Was Bucky around this year?

Neal

Click image for larger version

Name:	R84    NN  806  copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	232465
        Last edited by wingman; 01-23-2023, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
          Hi Connor. I managed to miss this when you put it up a month ago. Like Bob, I certainly think you should go back this year. What you came up with here certainly justifies a return. The Pylons are a totally unique environment, and a unique shooting challenge (and opportunity). I did it for thirty years and never got tired of trying to do it better.

I'm really interested in seeing more photos, and hearing more about what you thought of the whole thing. Did you enjoy the sound? Photography-wise what was harder than you expected? What were the biggest surprises? How satisfied are you with what you got? How much pylon time did you get, and did you think it was enough?

Here's a shot of a pylon. That's Bucky Dawson on the right. Was Bucky around this year?

Neal

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27088[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for replying Neal!

I very much enjoyed the sound, easily the best part I think. The photography was for sure harder than I imagined it would be. I'm not super satisfied with what I got. I did get enough pylon time, what I found was actually I wanted more time in the pits since the pylon trips eat up most of the day. I need to go a bit earlier this year if I can.

That's such a cool photo! Bucky was definitely around this year, was busy every time I saw him.

-Connor

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post

Bucky was definitely around this year, was busy every time I saw him.

-Connor
            That boy has been busy ever since I met him 45 years ago, LOL.

Please post some more pylon stuff. I'm curious about what worked, what didn't, and what you wish you had done differently. Anything you are especially proud of?

Neal

Comment

Working...
            X