Skyraider that raced in the 80?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyraider that raced in the 80?s

Does any one know anything about the Skyraider that raced at Reno?

Around 3:40
    Highlight Reel!Reno Air Racing, as rarely seen, from the "Cheapskate" ridge. Back when the East side of the course had a legitimate straightaway, the mid-80...

Re: Skyraider that raced in the 80?s

Pretty sure that's the Planes of Fame Skyraider

Click image for larger version

Name:	ad-4n-skyraider-rmdb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	232416
    Attached Files
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
      Pretty sure that's the Planes of Fame Skyraider

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27025[/ATTACH]
      I have to admit, it would be pretty cool to see this thing on the course. I'd guess it would be like passing a slower, bigger Sea Fury should one need to do so.

Will

Comment

There were two Skyraiders that raced at Reno. This one was owned at the time by a very interesting man named Jay Cullum, who raced it in the mid 1980s. Jay put on the 1990 Texas Air Race in Sherman Texas. He also did a spectacular aero routine in the Skyraider.

Another Reno Skyraider discussed here:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
        Attached Files

Comment

Don't know if this has been mentioned here previously.

Remember I saw him fly the T-34 at Breckenridge in 1991.

T J
          Last edited by T J Johansen; 11-03-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
            Don't know if this has been mentioned here previously.

Remember I saw him fly the T-34 at Breckenridge in 1991.

T J
            Thanks for this -- I had never heard of Jay's passing. He really was one of those bigger than life Texas characters, alongside Lefty, Pardue, Ezell, Nolen and the early CAF people, and so many more. I only knew him a bit through the Racing. It was very interesting to read the obituary and find out more.

Not many people grew up with a family P-51 -- he said he was hooked for life by that experience.

Neal

Comment

Thanks TJ. That is sad and I don't recall hearing this either. Jay was a great guy.

Comment

Originally posted by airtj View Post
                Does any one know anything about the Skyraider that raced at Reno?

Around 3:40
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xX7GdI...ature=youtu.be
                That's the kind of stuff that drew me to the races early on.. unusual aircraft that you might never see anywhere else doing amazing things that they were designed for with very skilled pilots doing the deed!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  That's the kind of stuff that drew me to the races early on.. unusual aircraft that you might never see anywhere else doing amazing things that they were designed for with very skilled pilots doing the deed!

Agreed, Wayne! Some of the coolest things to see on the course aren't always the fastest. I never got tired of seeing and hearing Tom Camp in the Wildcat, or Graeme Frew in the Yak-3. 500 miles an hour is cool, but it's awesome to see guys just having fun out there.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    During this time there were a few of us that were always there year after year and would meet up for the races. We were there mostly for the fast unlimiteds, but to hear that Skyraider going around the pylons caught our attention. We started rooting for it and were making bets among ourselves if a Skyraider would ever do a 300 mph lap. Can't remember now if it was a race speed or a qualifying speed when one of those either raced or qualified right around 305 mph. We were probably about as excited as if we'd seen one of the top racers going close to 500 mph. Won a few dollars off of that speed within our group! Those were fun times! Skyraiders were just incredible to watch and as big and bulky as they were, it was impressive to see them go that fast!

Comment

I remember in Cleveland they raced a Douglas A20A & it wasn't fast but fun to watch.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

add another "slow-poke" to the list: was so fortunate to be there when Gardner took a Jug out on the course. Over the years, so many different types rounding the pylons. Long live Reno Air Races.

Comment

Nuke.

Comment

Working...
                          X