Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss America 2023 - Let's get it done!

Originally posted by mkd1966 View Post
    Hey Mark - thanks for a great update - now not meaning to highjack the thread but a quick question - how is Dr Brent's P-51C Mustang coming along ? Thanks again, Mike
    The P-51C project is moving along well... looking good!!!! Wayne told me early on that an old friend of ours Dave Leininger might be showing up at the hangar to cover that build, so I've intentionally not been saying much about it out of professional courtesy. Now that Miss A isn't the center of attention, the crew is working on that as well as a P-51D project (Dan Martin's RR III) for the new owner. Both projects are coming along well (the rebuilt wing for the P-51D project arriving just before Reno) and while I was there, they were working on wiring the P-51D wing. I'd say the P-51C project is about 12 to 16 months away from completion - mainly due to the nature of doing two projects at once. The P-51D seems like it's the priority right now (the crew working on it the last two times I've visited), but from what I'm seeing they are devoting a lot of attention to both projects. Once I see/talk with Dave I'll know what he's planning and might be able to say more.
    Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
      The P-51C project is moving along well... looking good!!!! Wayne told me early on that an old friend of ours Dave Leininger might be showing up at the hangar to cover that build, so I've intentionally not been saying much about it out of professional courtesy. Now that Miss A isn't the center of attention, the crew is working on that as well as a P-51D project (Dan Martin's RR III) for the new owner. Both projects are coming along well (the rebuilt wing for the P-51D project arriving just before Reno) and while I was there, they were working on wiring the P-51D wing. I'd say the P-51C project is about 12 to 16 months away from completion - mainly due to the nature of doing two projects at once. The P-51D seems like it's the priority right now (the crew working on it the last two times I've visited), but from what I'm seeing they are devoting a lot of attention to both projects. Once I see/talk with Dave I'll know what he's planning and might be able to say more.
      That's great to hear !!! Thanks again for all your updates... Mike

Comment

Pat Harker sold off the fuselage. RR wing is being mated to a TF fuselage in Salinas. Two Mustangs from one.

Comment

Another excellent report Mark, here's to many more!
          Zac in NZ

Comment

Mark, you are a true gentleman! Do you have Dave's phone number? I can PM it to you, not sure he actually comes here anymore.

BIG PS!! Thanks for helping keep the site alive... I've been monitoring the hardware/software as well as the content trying to decide where to move (the site) before next billing session (annual)
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
              Pat Harker sold off the fuselage. RR wing is being mated to a TF fuselage in Salinas. Two Mustangs from one.
              Interesting. Any idea why he sold off the fuse and where it ended up?

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                Mark, you are a true gentleman! Do you have Dave's phone number? I can PM it to you, not sure he actually comes here anymore.
                It's all good... we always did the same for each other back in the day. Sure thing though, it would be good to discuss this with him before anything is said that might hurt his story. The ability to produce original content is difficult, don't want to mess that up for him.

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                BIG PS!! Thanks for helping keep the site alive... I've been monitoring the hardware/software as well as the content trying to decide where to move (the site) before next billing session (annual)
                If you need some help let me know... been a few years since I did anything with putty - but I still got my cheat sheets somewhere. As far as the forum software, you know I've setup at least 2 dozen v-bulletin sites (although it's been awhile, it's kinda like riding a bike )
                Mark K....

Comment

Not feeling very good last two days.. (read details in other post) but yea... You could probably breeze through the upgrade needed to the next version. I got stuck on forgetting how to upload a file to root.. in retrospect, upload to a domain via ftp, chown to root move file to root folder...

I frickin remembered!

I used to know how to change main ports to somewhere where hackers would not look and a bunch of other stuff that I've love to re-remember..

Let's chat sometime this weekend!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As we mentioned in our last report, Miss A's new motor was supposed to be arriving at the shop just before Christmas... but things do have a tendency to change especially in the sport of air racing. I did visit the crew back in mid-December, but Miss A was still in the state that you see her now - the initial delay being paint (the race motor's block lacked the signature fresh yellow paint last year) and this was when the crew first mentioned the stock motor was going to be rebuilt. I then visited the hangar yesterday and below you see what she looks like as 01/28/2023 at 10am local - still waiting for her race motor. In actuality, she's waiting for BOTH the race motor and the stock motor to come back from Rick's shop. In short, the stocker was due for an overhaul and with the winter season here - what better time to tackle both projects. It also allows Rick to only have to make one trip up to OKC - so it makes sense from both a practicle and logistical standpoint.

Rick will be bringing up both motors from Texas once the work and engine test-stand-time have been completed. Even with this delay, there is plenty of time to get Miss A ready & tested for the trip to the PRS in June. Talking with the crew, it was apparent that Brent is very much looking forward to feeling-out Miss A 2.0 on the course at speed. The crew noted that this year will be Miss A's fastest ever, and at this speed envelope she'll be handling a little different than at slower speeds they have been running in years past. With the course being available during the PRS, it will allow Brent to get used to these changes without the pressure of competition adding to it. Team Miss America does have race fuel available at Stead & there's a 100% possibility we'll see some full-power laps! Currently the plan is to incrementally increase the power up to what Brent was running last year (starting at around 85" then working up to 100" of manifold pressure at 3600 RPMs)... and use that as a baseline. Pete Law will be with the crew to analyze the data so the crew can optimize the settings for race day.

Teaser: More to come on this front as things happen, however at this time we don't expect any new news soon... it might be awhile longer, so stay tuned (the wait will be worth it)!
                    Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 01-29-2023, 06:20 AM.
                    Mark K....

Comment

"Teaser: More to come on this front as things happen, however at this time we don't expect any new news soon... it might be awhile longer, so stay tuned (the wait will be worth it)!"

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Really hopeful that this year is a great one for Reno. Looking forward to it as always.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
                        Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Really hopeful that this year is a great one for Reno. Looking forward to it as always.
                        Who else is overjoyed that Pylon1Mark is back digging out information!! We're seeking clearance/clarification on a "scoop" Mark fed us earlier.. (we're both nearly overwhelmed with cold/flu/heavy allergy)

Just extremely comforting having him back in the sport!!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks for the update Mark - my motto is "any progress is good progress"!
                          Zac in NZ

Comment

We visited Miss America's hangar yesterday and as you can see - there hasn't been a lot of progress made since our last visit. The race motor is still down in Texas at Rick Shanholtzer's shop and should be ready very soon now... no real news on that front for now.

I've attached a few images that show you Miss A resting comfortably, pretty much looking like she did last month. My old phone went south on me last weekend, so I had to get a new phone, which means a new camera. I'm blown away with the thing - the Samsung Galaxy S22 has a great camera, just judge for yourself (the panoramic shot at the top worked out well I think).

Click image for larger version

Name:	022523_03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	232500 Click image for larger version

Name:	022523_02.jpg
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	232499 Click image for larger version

Name:	022523_04.jpg
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	232501 Click image for larger version

Name:	022523_05.jpg
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	232502 Click image for larger version

Name:	022523_06.jpg
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	232503 Click image for larger version

Name:	022523_07.jpg
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	232504

On a much sadder note, I regret to inform you that Larry Butler (former crew chief for Miss America, father of crew members Greg & Scotty Butler, and close personal friend of Mr. Hisey) passed away suddenly early Friday morning. Larry was involved in a serious car accident a couple of years ago that left him with some medical issues to fight through, but this was unexpected... Larry wasn't showing any signs of a degrading condition, and this was totally out of the blue. This news obviously put anything related to Miss A on the back burner - now wasn't the time. Our most heartfelt condolences goes out to Scotty, Greg, Brent and all those effected by Larry's passing.
                            Mark K....

Comment

We visited Miss America's hangar yesterday and as you can see - there hasn't been a lot of progress made since our last visit. The race motor is still down in Texas at Rick Shanholtzer's shop and should be ready very soon now... no real news on that front for now.

I've attached a few images that show you Miss A resting comfortably, pretty much looking like she did last month. My old phone went south on me last weekend, so I had to get a new phone, which means a new camera. I'm blown away with the thing - the Samsung Galaxy S22 has a great camera, just judge for yourself (the panoramic shot at the top worked out well I think).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27129[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27128[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27130[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27131[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27132[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27133[/ATTACH]

On a much sadder note, I regret to inform you that Larry Butler (former crew chief for Miss America, father of crew members Greg & Scotty Butler, and close personal friend of Mr. Hisey) passed away suddenly early Friday morning. Larry was involved in a serious car accident a couple of years ago that left him with some medical issues to fight through, but this was unexpected... Larry wasn't showing any signs of a degrading condition, and this was totally out of the blue. This news obviously put anything related to Miss A on the back burner - now wasn't the time. Our most heartfelt condolences goes out to Scotty, Greg, Brent and all those effected by Larry's passing.
                              Hey Markers, sorry I've missed you over the past few days, I've either got really bad allergies or had a nasty head cold.. I'll take the cold over the allergies any day!N

I need to upgrade my phone as well, some phone shots are better than we can pull out of big stuff... Plus, they are always in your pocket... Remember the old days Marker!?!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It's all good buddy... you've always been a little hit-or-miss on phone callsI, busy man you are and with the health issues you're going through right now more than understandable. Well hookup this weekend for sure.

Old days... like when we'd rush to the 1 hour photo place after the races ended for the day to get the film developed, then staying up till 1am posting the daily updates, only to get up at 5am the next day... repeat for 8 days in a row. Yeah, good times 🤪
                                Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                                X