Moving the 'Better Vibes' Along... 2023 Unlimited Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving the 'Better Vibes' Along... 2023 Unlimited Class

It's been refreshing to see a few threads here reflecting on the good parts of Reno '22, and the forward look to Reno '23. Thought I would add some color to what we can expect for next year's Unlimited class.

Miss America's Return ~ Thanks to Mark's thread, we now know that Miss America will be at PRS and staying at Stead until the races. Great news.

Old School Cool ~ I believe each day during the opening ceremonies, Danny Clisham would go into some details about Bardahl Special and Lady B (Bardahl Miss). For those that weren't in the stands, you may have missed some of the other important details that Danny added to this conversation. First, the expectation of Vicky's Race 64 being ready to race next year. We've all assumed this to be the case. He also said there are preliminary discussions to get Ole Yeller back as well. The last piece of the puzzle related directly to Lady B. Danny said that Fred is in the process of getting the original N# back (N335J), and there was some seemingly very cryptic discussion about the airframe possibly being repainted in Bardahl Miss checkerboard scheme, or the Hi-Time II zebra scheme? I'm VERY excited to see what comes with this. Lastly, word has it Bardahl Special's first flight after her transformation was a few hours before she left for Stead. There are some rumors floating about that given a whole year, she might return in 2023 with actual paint (rather than a wrap), and some race mods. I can't confirm any of this yet, but some of those "in the know" have passed that on.

The Official 'Yak Attack' ~ After expecting 4-5 Yak racers at Reno '22, we came short with just a single one, and that one didn't even get to race. Well, next year we should get the Yak presence we've been waiting for. As I mentioned in another thread, Scotty is committed to bringing Rushin' Thunder back with a race engine! Dusty's super fast Lylia should be back, and Sam Davis' Miss Trinidad should definitely be ready to make an appearance as well.

Bring On The Stockers ~ As if this wasn't enough, RT Dickson says he's motivated to actually get Swamp Fox to the races, Florida-based TF-51's Mad Max and Little Witch sound interested in attending PRS and the races (thanks Will for that info), and Jim Rust sounds interested in bringing Barbara Jean out as well.

Rumors Of The Witch ~ Facebook rumors about Strega returning next year. That's all I can say.

This is just next year. In the background there are now FIVE one-off purpose-built Unlimited racers being actively worked on with expectations to be ready in 3+ years.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Moving the 'Better Vibes' Along... 2023 Unlimited Class

Bardahl Special really surprised me on Saturday with how Stephen just ran away with it - what a great race! I was cheering for Dusty all weekend but, wow, that was awesome and I was excited to see her in the Gold.

The idea of so many retro machines coming back is truly intoxicating. I was avidly listening to Danny on the livestream and caught most of those little snippets. Unfortunately said livestream didn't show the Bardahl parade (nor the missing man for Sherman Smoot).

Next year will be a great year for Unlimiteds. And as for the 70th anniversary races and the various projects rumoured to be in the works...
    Last edited by ZacYates; 09-20-2022, 04:01 PM.
    Zac in NZ

Comment

I asked Tiger Destifini if he was ever going to bring Strega back. His reply was........."It will be back next year". Let's hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
        I asked Tiger Destifini if he was ever going to bring Strega back. His reply was........."It will be back next year". Let's hope so.
        "Destafani" No doubt he could cruise to the win without half trying.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          He says that every year. I'll believe it when it is sitting on the ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            I heard this rumor from several people over the week. One said Tiger had a new prodigy that he had been working with, the other had Stevo back in the pilot seat. The simple tell tale for this is who shows up at PRS. If Stevo is there, odds are good that he's flying Strega. If its someone nobody's heard of, odds are that is who it will be. Also, since Strega is sitting at Chino on display, its pretty easy to tell if they are race prepping it.

Lets wait till June and see who pops up at PRS.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              I did see Tiger exiting one of the Unlimited Class pilot meetings this year. Does he go every year, whether he's racing or not?

Comment

Do we know who bought Shockwave? I read somewhere that it went to Utah, which leads me to one name, but I've heard no confirmation. When would it be ready to race? That's mostly a question of cubic dollars, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                  Do we know who bought Shockwave? I read somewhere that it went to Utah, which leads me to one name, but I've heard no confirmation. When would it be ready to race? That's mostly a question of cubic dollars, isn't it?
                  I've heard the same but nothing more - there's a Facebook group for the project which will be exciting to follow.
                  Zac in NZ

Comment

It is owned by someone that wants it finished and wants to race it. It does come down to money to get it completed but they are working on it and it’s a very good team handling the project. Hopefully it’ll be more public soon.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Utah is more connected to someone that is helping with the project than the owner.

Comment

They have top men working on it right now, TOP. MEN.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BEARMAN #77 View Post
                          They have top men working on it right now, TOP. MEN.
                          Bureaucrat

(I say that in jest. Seemed a fitting response to the quote.) ... and the Indiana Jones theme plays on in the background...

Will

Comment

Working...
                          X