Sport Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Gold

In the interest of lifting the mood a little and getting back to normal in here, let's back up our Sunday memories about an hour. It was very cool to see Mathias Haid win in the Thunder Mustang. As the old saying goes, "To finish first, you must first finish"

Out of curiosity about the condition of the three Mayday airplanes, I had decided to leave the stands during the jet race and head down to the Sport pits instead. I'm glad I did that, but I didn't make it all the way to the Sport pits and never heard what caused Findlay, LaVelle, and Rust to pull off the course. The #30 was definitely trailing smoke as it climbed away.

Does anybody have any information on the Maydays?

Re: Sport Gold

With an incoming cold front starting to push, the smoke has cleared for the best visibility so far this week and the racers are in the air. We’re not sure how long the now nice conditions will hold (until about 2:30 p.m. it turned out), but the organizers have loaded the morning with every race […]

Comment

I would add this link as well for more info on the Sunday race:

Tom Wilson provided some great write ups on what transpired in the Sport, Formula 1, and Biplane classes all week.
      Last edited by chrs3590; 09-20-2022, 01:30 PM.
      Chris

Comment

I know its nothing like BT or BT2's level of engine wizardry (or is it??) , but damn that TM sounded MEAN.

Comment

Thanks for those links and I agree: she is a mean-sounding machine! Congratulations to Mathias and how great to see a TM take a win.
          Zac in NZ

Comment

What was the problem with the racers that dropped out. I heard 39 had a wastegate problem, but haven't heard what the problems were with the other two. Anyone know??

Comment

As I understand it:

Race #30, One Moment, holed a piston (same one that they swapped out earlier in the week). Pulled out trailing smoke. Landed on 14.

Race #39 had the wastegate failure and lost power. According to the kitplanes article the engine quit. I can personally verify that the right turbo was pretty crispy. Landed on 14.

Race #24, "Gremlins Castle" had the engine seize and landed on the closed runway. Prop feathered.

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
                As I understand it:

Race #24, "Gremlins Castle" had the engine seize and landed on the closed runway. Prop feathered.
                On the livestream I saw he had to restart his engine on the runway as everyone was taking off, and felt a little funny when he got going. I'm glad he and the machine got down safe.
                Zac in NZ

Comment

Working...
                X