Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Updates from Reno...

Default Re: Updates from Reno...

So, the view from the pylons through the lens was....

I didn't get a west pylon morning pass, so I shot from the ramp. We did a quick shoot with IF1 "Quad Nickel" that might actually look okay. From there a bunch of us went down to the Jumbotron in a neutral area to shoot the STOL drags. Those were cool, I think I've got some interesting pics there. The bus for the afternoon races were supposed to go out at 1130 or so, so I headed back and got on the bus. We missed the IF1 gold race, but I did see Fraid Knot sitting on the runway after the mayday.

The Unlimited race was great. Dusty flew a nice line and got the win. He started from the outside and was in second by pylon 4 hunting for Steve Couches in Bardahl. Slowly Dusty reeled him in, and got the pass on the back side of the course (I think, things are all blending together at this point.) After he was out front he opened a gap and held it for the rest of the race. Average speed 330.0. Not the fastest the plane has gone, but the fastest its gone on this course. The radiator exit door wasn't totally closed so he might have a little more speed if he can get it closed all the way. He's now sitting 5th in the Gold, right behind Blondie/Sparky. The plane sounded fantastic. Apparently he was pretty well wide open so I'm not sure if the plane has any more speed to be found.

From there I got to sit in the sagebrush for the rest of the day. At one point we were told by race control that we could have a Jet, T6, Sport or Unlimited race next up. They weren't sure which... we got... nothing. We eventually got back on the bus and came in. We did get a decent sunset with lots of ramp action after the races were done.

I'm not going to get any pics done tonight, have a 0500 ramp shoot in the morning. I'm beat and need to get to sleep.

Will

Will, all you guys, you're doing a great job filling in the details! I don't envy you sitting out there not knowing from minute to minute what is going on. Personally, sitting out in the desert between action is my absolute least favorite aspect of covering the r aces. Some guys do pretty well just shooting the chit with other photogs... I just get bored stiff and really fidgety...

Ahem, hats off to you guys!!!!!!!! Nice work all!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Great updates Will and wadeh. To expand on wadeh comments on rude people here at Stead, there is no smoking here. Rushin' Thunder's fuel tanks were full and as it warmed up the gas expanded and was venting. The crew could smell cigarette smoke but didn't see who was smoking. In the box seats someone was smoking and security told them to stop, security was told to f off. Fortunately, there are a lot of nice people here. Hoping the smoke clears so we can see some racing.

Heard on race frequency Bipe29 (raffle biplane?) report smoke conditions "good for fast movers". Hopefully I heard that right!

T6 going up now. Sport gold on the flightline. Unlimited gold are filling in on the flightline.

Unlimited just took off. It has cleared up real nice for racing today. It was pretty thick this morning but a breeze/wind from the southwest moved out a majority of the smoke. Hopefully it doesn?t roll back in this afternoon.

Should be a great day!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

One moment mayday'd, landed 14, taxied back under own ppower. Cowling & fuselage looked clean.

A random observation from today…

While I am sure it is at least somewhat influenced by the smoke (or lack of,) the schedule that is actually happening today (Saturday) looks a lot like the spilt schedule that was discussed here with Owen, myself, and many others: racing back to back to back during the earlier hours with plans for most of the military and civilian demos later in the day. Personally, today has been very enjoyable from my end and I am genuinely curious how the post-event review by the staff will consider the day in terms of flow and ultimate success.

Regardless, glad the weather finally cooperated and some good racing has had the chance to happen.

James
    Last edited by Fawkes; 09-19-2022 at 07:42 AM.

The wind has picked up significantly and I hope it doesn?t effect racing later in the day. But at least we?re not smoked out!!!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Smoke is rolling back in?.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

And it?s comin in thick!!!

Prob just gonna be airshow for the rest of the day?
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"