Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Updates from Reno...

Thanks for the details wadeh.

Race 24 went up for a test hop about an hour ago so that?s good news. They?ll be back of gold tomorrow.

Curious to see what Andy decides for 30.

Supposedly the engine they put in Clas Thunder is a race engine. The other Thunder lost its race engine earlier in the week so we?ll see how Plan B works? not holding my breath however.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

For sure thanks wadeh! Looks like aafo.com is about it for info this year, so far anyway.. Glad we kept 'er goin'!

Very happy that we're able to provide a useful service to the National Championship Air Races fans! Myself included!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So, I gotta say, I'm both happy and miffed over the smoke this year. I've got 2 unlimiteds willing to tow out for a ramp shoot, and one IF1 team. The Quad Nickel guys are chomping at the bit for the ramp shoot, but with conditions the way they have been, there is no point in trying. It would be like shooting in strange colored fog. The upside, I'm in from the ramp before 9pm. I got some potentially interesting pics, but I need to sit down and edit them.

Dusty got qualified today as well as a couple other people. The plane was happy and everything was good. I think I heard Dusty mutter "this thing flies like a truck" I had to laugh at that.

Graeme and some of the Full Noise team arrived today. It was great to see them. They REALLY want to come back, but the shipping is killing them. (Anyone have an in with a shipping company that might be willing to sponsor them?) If so, let me know and I'll pass the info onto Graeme.

Will

Comment

Race 99

Surprised to not see Sport Class Race 99 this year. What's the story?
          Thx

Comment

Smoky again this morning. Looks to follow the same pattern as yesterday and clear up later in the day.

Only STOL have raced today.

Sport 24 is headed out to flightline for an engine run.

Early Christmas in Sport 30's pits. Un boxed bigger turbos this morning. Plan is to fly with small turbos today and switch to new turbos for tomorrow's racing.

Sport 39 just has top cowl off, no-one working on it.
            Last edited by shadow; 09-15-2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Smoke clearing much slower today. Flags are moving a little bit so starting clear. STOL guys are firing up.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Thanks for all the updates guys, I really appreciate it! The livestream, while welcome, does not paint a pretty picture of the smoke conditions.

Glad to hear Graeme and co made it there!
                Last edited by ZacYates; 09-15-2022, 02:44 PM.
                Zac in NZ

Comment

Today sucked. Smoke was bad. We loaded up and went out to the pylons and waited... and waited, and waited some more. We came back. We went back out to the pylons and waited... got 2 IF1 races, one T6 Drag race, and that was it.

I really hope the smoke clears out so we can get some racing in during the next couple days.

Will

Comment

Finally made it to Reno and got the chance to head to Stead this afternoon around 4. It was smoky when I got there, wind picked up, and was even smokier around 6 when I headed back into town. Not fun as everyone else has said.

I did get the chance to talk to Scotty for about a half hour and got tons of great info. In my years of going to Reno, there are a few pilots that have stuck out as EXTREMELY nice and genuine, and I can easily add Scotty to that list. Even after all that’s transpired this week he has his head held high. Here are some details -

There has been some info floating around about his DQ for “low and erratic flying”, and it seems like the “erratic” part is what put the nail in the coffin this year. From what I gathered in the conversation, Monday was really the first time that he’s tried out the ADI system. Supposedly there wasn’t anywhere near his home airport in Idaho where he felt would make a good testing area, and thought that just going up to altitude and giving it a go would not be indicative of how it would perform on the deck at Reno (fair enough). He went out on the course and did 4 laps, all within very close margin of each other, he was on rails. As has been mentioned, he was cutting P4 and making a somewhat aggressive turn back in for P5, and did this each lap. He said he wasn’t doing this at PRS and candidly said he was a little nervous to get out and rip on the course, and the haze/smoke didn’t help him out.

The contest committee (I have no idea who is in this committee), all said it was the end of the year for him, and he had tons of well respected pilots come up to him as well as try to vouch for his cause (talking Stevo, Steve Sr., Dusty, Tiger, the list goes on). I forget which one specially said it, but one of these guys told the contest committee that “Scotty is one of the best and safest damn pilots out on that course”. That meant a lot to him. The contest committee themselves also said that it’s generally easy for them to say “no” to “protests”, but Scotty went about it so humbly and professionally that he has the utmost respect from everyone out on that ramp from the contest committee to the other pilots, to Fred Telling, and beyond.

A few positives came out if this. Steve Sr. told Scotty that the list of people who want to be his backseater in the Unlimited pace jet is 100’s of people long, but he wants Scotty to be his backseat for Sunday’s gold. Scotty said he probably wouldn’t ever have this experience if this whole thing didn’t happen.

Looking to the future, Scotty is ticked off that it cost him a good chunk of change to show up with nothing to show for it, but he’s VERY determined to come back next year. He’s already started putting plans together to drop a “real race engine” into her next year.

As I said previously, Scotty is really one of the good guys, and I can’t wait to cheer him on next year. That plane is seriously bad ass and Scotty’s the perfect pilot to take her around the sticks.
                    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-16-2022, 01:14 AM.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      Finally made it to Reno and got the chance to head to Stead this afternoon around 4. It was smoky when I got there, wind picked up, and was even smokier around 6 when I headed back into town. Not fun as everyone else has said.

I did get the chance to talk to Scotty for about a half hour and got tons of great info. In my years of going to Reno, there are a few pilots that have stuck out as EXTREMELY nice and genuine, and I can easily add Scotty to that list. Even after all that?s transpired this week he has his head held high. Here are some details -

There has been some info floating around about his DQ for ?low and erratic flying?, and it seems like the ?erratic? part is what put the nail in the coffin this year. From what I gathered in the conversation, Monday was really the first time that he?s tried out the ADI system. Supposedly there wasn?t anywhere near his home airport in Idaho where he felt would make a good testing area, and thought that just going up to altitude and giving it a go would not be indicative of how it would perform on the deck at Reno (fair enough). He went out on the course and did 4 laps, all within very close margin of each other, he was on rails. As has been mentioned, he was cutting P4 and making a somewhat aggressive turn back in for P5, and did this each lap. He said he wasn?t doing this at PRS and candidly said he was a little nervous to get out and rip on the course, and the haze/smoke didn?t help him out.

The contest committee (I have no idea who is in this committee), all said it was the end of the year for him, and he had tons of well respected pilots come up to him as well as try to vouch for his cause (talking Stevo, Steve Sr., Dusty, Tiger, the list goes on). I forget which one specially said it, but one of these guys told the contest committee that ?Scotty is one of the best and safest damn pilots out on that course?. That meant a lot to him. The contest committee themselves also said that it?s generally easy for them to say ?no? to ?protests?, but Scotty went about it so humbly and professionally that he has the utmost respect from everyone out on that ramp from the contest committee to the other pilots, to Fred Telling, and beyond.

A few positives came out if this. Steve Sr. told Scotty that the list of people who want to be his backseater in the Unlimited pace jet is 100?s of people long, but he wants Scotty to be his backseat for Sunday?s gold. Scotty said he probably wouldn?t ever have this experience if this whole thing didn?t happen.

Looking to the future, Scotty is ticked off that it cost him a good chunk of change to show up with nothing to show for it, but he?s VERY determined to come back next year. He?s already started putting plans together to drop a ?real race engine? into her next year.

As I said previously, Scotty is really one of the good guys, and I can?t wait to cheer him on next year. That plane is seriously bad ass and Scotty?s the perfect pilot to take her around the sticks.
                      Pretty please any chance we could see some pics of this mythical ship?

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                        Pretty please any chance we could see some pics of this mythical ship?
                        It’s the second pic in the 2022 photos thread.
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post

As I said previously, Scotty is really one of the good guys, and I can?t wait to cheer him on next year. That plane is seriously bad ass and Scotty?s the perfect pilot to take her around the sticks.
                          Thanks for that update. I saw every lap but that was from the fence. Tough to see exactly where the plane is around 4 from there. I?m glad the rest of the guys stuck up for him. That?s awesome. Looking forward to seeing him back out there next year.
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Much less smoke this morning. Not sure if it'd be good enough for all but it's already much clearer than either Wed or Thu's mornings.

STOL taxing now.

Comment

Conditions are much better today. I can easily see the guide pylon from the stands. It was not visible most of yesterday.

The biplane heat just started, so we are racing again.

Comment

And a great race, it was. Race 6 led race 84 most of the race. 84 kept running into turbulence. The air is calm, and wake turbulence is not blowing away quickly.

84 went hard at the last 1/4 laptop, and caught 6 right at the checkered flag. I couldn?t call it from here.

Comment

Working...
                                X