Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 126

Thread: Updates from Reno...

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Whittier CA, Los Angeles USA
    Posts
    536

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim58 View Post
    It feels like that Saturday afternoon in 99
    or any day in 2007, I too was yelling at the TV in disbelief. So So sad indeed.

    prayers to all

    "bye bye Miss American Pie"
    9/18/99 was 23 years ago today also.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    fort myers fl
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    i hate superstition, but I can't help but think.. 2001, 2011, we missed 2020 due to covid so 2021 was kind of 2020 so this year was kind of like 2021....

    after retiring from reno in 2013 i considered going out there this year, i am glad i didn't, i don't think could have handled being there for another one like this.

    blue skies and tailwinds, rest in peace jet pilot.

    wayne, your not being a board nazi, the people here are more like family than most internet groups. for the most part, this group is very knowledgeable about aviation, there will be a time for a civil respectful discussion of this accident, today is just not the day.
    bob burns
    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
    "dont mess with texas"

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Whanganui, NZ
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    Quote Originally Posted by tow-3 View Post
    there will be a time for a civil respectful discussion of this accident, today is just not the day.
    My thoughts exactly Bob.

  4. #94

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    Quote Originally Posted by TarDevil View Post
    Wayne, I feel like I need to be in the same room with you guys, to vent/cry/pray/bang my head... with a hard drink in one hand, a Bible in the other.
    Not a bad choice. Life is short, death is certain, and things like this are tragic, but there are big picture things including the promise of eternal life.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Whanganui, NZ
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    RARA has formally identified the pilot in an email newsletter:
    Pilot Lost in Fatal Crash During Jet Gold Race
    Aaron Hogue, 61, Lost in Fatal Crash

    On Sunday, we lost a pilot and friend to a fatal crash during the third lap of the Jet Gold Race. Race #29, ?Ballista,? an Aero Vodochody L-29 was piloted by Aaron Hogue, who was killed on impact. An investigation into the incident is being conducted by the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) and the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). We will provide more information as it becomes available.

    Our hearts, prayers, and support go out to Aaron?s family and friends, and also to those in the racing community who mourn with us.

    Please watch the press conference from today from RARA Chairman and CEO Fred Telling in the block below.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,715

    Default I'd Like To Thank:

    Everyone for being grounded and unless I'm missing reading posts, restrained during a very difficult time for our sport!

    Obviously there are a lot questions that need to be answered..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,715

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    Quote Originally Posted by tow-3 View Post
    i hate superstition, but I can't help but think.. 2001, 2011, we missed 2020 due to covid so 2021 was kind of 2020 so this year was kind of like 2021....

    after retiring from reno in 2013 i considered going out there this year, i am glad i didn't, i don't think could have handled being there for another one like this.

    blue skies and tailwinds, rest in peace jet pilot.

    wayne, your not being a board nazi, the people here are more like family than most internet groups. for the most part, this group is very knowledgeable about aviation, there will be a time for a civil respectful discussion of this accident, today is just not the day.
    I'm grateful for your understanding and support. I try very hard to let our members chat openly and "get it off their chest"

    Sadly, we've all been here before, more than once. The balls out "do some of that pilot ****" that the racers bring to Reno and have made it what it is should not be allowed to contribute to its end.

    In light of the fact that I watched a pretty clear video capture yesterday that showed an aileron come off just after/simultaneously with the knife edge ultimate decent, as well as discussions with those who have been involved with Air Racing from the beginning and before! I have to ask myself.. "How Fast is Too Fast?"


    I'm not trying to scrape on sore spots, I just agree that KNOWING what happened is important to our mental health looking at ways to stop it from happening again should be encouraged
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,003

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    I'm grateful for your understanding and support. I try very hard to let our members chat openly and "get it off their chest"

    Sadly, we've all been here before, more than once. The balls out "do some of that pilot ****" that the racers bring to Reno and have made it what it is should not be allowed to contribute to its end.

    In light of the fact that I watched a pretty clear video capture yesterday that showed an aileron come off just after/simultaneously with the knife edge ultimate decent, as well as discussions with those who have been involved with Air Racing from the beginning and before! I have to ask myself.. "How Fast is Too Fast?"


    I'm not trying to scrape on sore spots, I just agree that KNOWING what happened is important to our mental health looking at ways to stop it from happening again should be encouraged
    Wayne, I know the video you are talking about, and that is either something in the background, or a video artifact of some kind. I was shown a very clear still photo of the aircraft just before impact, and it very clearly showed all of the control surfaces were in tact, and still attached to the aircraft.

  9. #99

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    I have to ask myself.. "How Fast is Too Fast?"


    I'm not trying to scrape on sore spots, I just agree that KNOWING what happened is important to our mental health looking at ways to stop it from happening again should be encouraged
    Amen to that. I look to this site as a resource for KNOWLEDGABLE input/observation regarding the incident. And, like others, I'm "laying low" trying to avoid "armchair quaterbacking" on the issue.

    Been going to the races for 50 years. And Wayne, you bring up a good point...or question:" How Fast is TOO Fast"..to which I might add "for the site". It's been discussed before about the evolutionary changes to the course. I was reading Tegler's book "Gentlemen, You Have a Race" and in it, he mentioned the Unlimited course as 9.8 miles. What is it now? Down to 8 miles? You tighten-up the course, that just adds to the g-loading. ok.....enough armchair-****.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Updates from Reno...

    Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Wayne, I know the video you are talking about, and that is either something in the background, or a video artifact of some kind. I was shown a very clear still photo of the aircraft just before impact, and it very clearly showed all of the control surfaces were in tact, and still attached to the aircraft.
    I saw both, and I agree with you Race5, whatever that red rectangle is, it does not appear to be an aileron. It shows up four seconds before the crash in the RARA live feed shot video that has been republished by others.
    There is a video shot from outside the course that is much closer to the accident aircraft. It picks up two seconds before the crash, but both ailerons are clearly on the airplane all the way down.

    That red speck is an artifact, background item, *maybe* something off the airplane, but not the right aileron.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •