Updates from Reno...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Updates from Reno...

A few folks have ID'd the plane and pilot on FB, please, wait a while for this to get to all of those close to the pilot to learn in another way than reading it here... Give it a few hours anyway.... Please!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Any news? The live feed was cut after the accident in the Jet Gold and all videos are gone?very sad day in air racing. I guess all races are canceled after a accident so no Gold Unlimited race?

Comment

Originally posted by Lotahp1 View Post
        Any news? The live feed was cut after the accident in the Jet Gold and all videos are gone?very sad day in air racing. I guess all races are canceled after a accident so no Gold Unlimited race?
        We will be more than lucky if there ever is another gold race, or any others at RENO ever again after this one.
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This was posted on Facebook by RARA a few minutes ago:
          At this time we are gathering information and confirming details of the incident that happened today during the Jet Gold Race. We can confirm that only one plane was involved. The National Championship Air Races has suspended all operations for the 2022 event, and we will provide an update as soon as it?s available. NTSB and FAA will be investigating the incident.
          Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
            It looked to me like there might have been a problem starting on the previous lap, as the 2nd place aircraft had to climb rather quickly to perhaps avoid contact. Things developed after that, and I sat up in my chair yelling "NO, NO, NO!!" as the pilot fought for control after the hard right bank. My wife was watching with me and it hit both of us pretty hard. I am profoundly sad.
            I saw the same on the prior lap and thought out loud "What the heck is going on there?"

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            We will be more than lucky if there ever is another gold race, or any others at RENO ever again after this one.
            I suspect you are right.

Comment

It feels like that Saturday afternoon in 99
              or any day in 2007, I too was yelling at the TV in disbelief. So So sad indeed.

prayers to all

"bye bye Miss American Pie"

Comment

Really odd incident. It seemed like something broke. I?m sure everyone has seen the video. Lots of crazy incidents today. Someone in a car hit a power pole on Red Rock. Knocked out the power up to the gas station. The Sport Gold was crazy. Just after that the Bearcat broke. Jet Gold fell right in line. Just one of those days?
                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

A tough day today. Yes I saw the incident, no, I don't have pics as it was coming off P4, and I was on P2 and just happened to look north at the end of my last shot when I saw the impact and fireballs. I thought it was both aircraft.

Thats all I have, packing up and heading home.

Will

Comment

I would make a suggestion to folks that it's probably not a good idea to discuss the details of the incident here. That's not just the identify of the pilot and aircraft involved.

I saw the whole thing from the grandstands and have my own thoughts. But after the 2011 accident, I have simply decided to never share them on a public forum, particularly while it is under investigation.

I never got around to posting my report from yesterday, as I was too exhausted and turned in early. Given the events of today, I'm probably going to skip any further reports. It just doesn't feel right to talk about it at this time. The only thing that I will say right now is that I hope that the air races continue. And if they do, I will be back next year.

My heart, thoughts and prayers are out to all of the family and friends.

Comment

God, I'm so torn about how to "police" a thread like this. On the one side, part of me thinks that the discussion should be open, the other side thinking I need to keep a lid on speculation.. *sigh*

Said speculation and educated analysis of the accident sequence from a couple different angles are already discussed all over the net, including a couple angles of the actual event.

I think I'm being a board NAZI by not just letting everyone vent.. within reason.

I've watched the sequence in slow motion and have my own armchair opinion to what likely happened... I don't want to encourage that sort of open speculation here..

Again, tough editor decision on this one!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, I feel like I need to be in the same room with you guys, to vent/cry/pray/bang my head... with a hard drink in one hand, a Bible in the other.
                        I expected to end the day whining about broken airplanes. Just not quite as broke.

Comment

Originally posted by TarDevil View Post
                          Wayne, I feel like I need to be in the same room with you guys, to vent/cry/pray/bang my head... with a hard drink in one hand, a Bible in the other.
                          I expected to end the day whining about broken airplanes. Just not quite as broke.
                          This is not the first time most of us following the sport have experienced the heartache and.... guilt, feelings after an event like this afternoon.

When Steve Hinton went in in, crap... memory fade, '79? and they prematurely announced "we regret to tell you the pilot has lost his life" prior to them knowing Steve was still alive. I remember to this day the absolute GUILT that I felt walking to the car and the absolute joy when my young nephew came out to the parking lot after a PEE stop and told us that Steve had survived
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by TarDevil View Post
                            I so wish I could transport everyone to a cheers like place where we could all drink ourselves silly and forget these moments
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Another update from RARA on Facebook, posted 40min ago:
                              We can confirm that during the Jet Gold Race on the third lap there was a fatal incident at Outer Pylon 5 today. There will be an investigation conducted by the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) and the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration.)

All other pilots landed safely and race operations for 2022 have been suspended. We express our deepest sympathies to the pilot?s family and friends as well as racers and race fans who make up our September family.
                              Zac in NZ

Comment

This is not the first time most of us following the sport have experienced the heartache and.... guilt, feelings after an event like this afternoon.

When Steve Hinton went in in, crap... memory fade, '79? and they prematurely announced "we regret to tell you the pilot has lost his life" prior to them knowing Steve was still alive. I remember to this day the absolute GUILT that I felt walking to the car and the absolute joy when my young nephew came out to the parking lot after a PEE stop and told us that Steve had survived
                                Your memory is still sharp; yes, 1979. I was there and experienced the same "gut punch" with the premature announcement and then the joy when I heard he had survived..

Comment

Working...
                                X