Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2022 National Championship Air Races Photos

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    These are indeed really well done compelling images, Will. Those smoky skies look really impressive!

Regarding the discussion of photography in another thread, your photos here show something really important. The equipment used is obviously of some importance, but what these shots really show is the importance of being there when other people are focussed on breakfast, or dinner, or whatever. Good photography is a matter of being there at interesting times in interesting light, and then taking the time to get it right. An old saying in photography is that the "magic camera setting" for geat photos is "F8 and be there". These images prove that...

Neal
    Neal,
    Thanks for weighing in. I agree, you have to be there to get the shot. That is the main reason I'm one of the first in the gate (usually) and pretty much the last out. Before and after the gates close are really my favorite times to be out there. In the case of the Bardahl shot at sunrise, I was actually late (slept through the alarm). Most of the people had already shot it and left. Still, I was out there, and rolled the dice on under exposing the shot then "fixing" it in LR after the fact. Clearly the idea worked.

As far as interesting light, it was really really tough this year. The mornings would sometimes be clear, or would start smokey, clear and then smoke up again. Because of this we didn't try and do any sunrise shoots. We got lucky on this. I think it was Tony Cruz (Deepsky) who set this one up. For all of the frustration in 2022, there were some really cool photo ops. Not many, and you had to be ready, but they did pop up. As you stated, you had to be there to take advantage.

from the pylons, there wasn't a lot you could do with the smoke.

If anything, I think the smoke made me learn how to minimize its influence with post processing. Often, a black and white shot was really the best idea.

For those people in the know, who is this gentleman helping Pete with Shanty Irish? He seemed to know his stuff, but I haven't the slightest idea who he is.

Will

Comment

Enjoy,
      Will

Comment

Great shots. Really shows the various wing designs on the F1 shots. Thanks for sharing.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Will

Comment

This sunrise ramp shoot really produced some good images. Hopefully for 2023 I can get a morning shoot setup for every day of the week (or close to it.)

Will

Comment

Will

Comment

Will

Comment

Attached Files
                  May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Will

Comment

Thats all for tonight. I got all my pics from Reno done this morning, so lots more to come.

Will

Comment

Will

Comment

Will

Comment

That should cover pretty much all I have from this year. Here is my full album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/196954...77720304610852

Will

Comment

Nice stuff Will! Thanks for helping keep the site interesting!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                                Nice stuff Will! Thanks for helping keep the site interesting!
                                Thanks. I do my best. Hopefully I can get more people to post their pics as well. This has been almost a two person thread, and I know there are more people out there who were at the races who could post. I wish they would.

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X