Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Qualifying Updates

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
    Haven?t looked at the official times but, the jets are cooking. Here?s my two lap average for Viper from the fence. 777 isn?t very far behind but, looks like Viper found the correct power setting. Absolutely sanitary session. Sports were hitting decent rain in the VOS. Speeds obviously down. Dusty had the Yak wound up and he was on a really good line. Weather dragged him down for sure. Really slow conditions. Big lightning strike on the field shut everything down during jet quals and everything was over.
    Thanks for the update fence. The timing has been really out of wack today. Viper was originally at 522 and got knocked down to 503. The Yak is far off the pace that I?m hearing everyone at the field saying it was running. The originally had it at 346, and it got knocked down to 330 (and the reports site is really messed up on speed).

Really hoping this gets ironed out. If not, I guess who is fastest will just be decided on the course.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Thanks for the update fence. The timing has been really out of wack today. Viper was originally at 522 and got knocked down to 503. The Yak is far off the pace that I?m hearing everyone at the field saying it was running. The originally had it at 346, and it got knocked down to 330 (and the reports site is really messed up on speed).

Really hoping this gets ironed out. If not, I guess who is fastest will just be decided on the course.
      I had him at 329. Sounded great and looked really fast. It was an odd number. Not sure what happened. From pylons 2-5.
      Last edited by Fence Sence; 09-12-2022, 09:06 PM.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I posted this originally over in the thread I created for Will's updates, he's getting his tent transformed into a "datacenter" so he can post updates... here's what I posted there

Will is camping out at the field, just gave me a visual report, he could hardly see 395 lights from the shopping center!

He has some updates coming as soon as he gets his tent into the 21 century LOL Has laptop and hopefully hotspot access as soon as he's set up..

I took some notes but I can hardly read them!!

Dusty had a stack fire, should be all is well tomorrow!

Scotty Crandlemire was DQ'd Black Flagged actually for "low and erratic flying" Will has video or photos that show otherwise, I think an appeal is pending..

Thunder Mustang lunched engine on takeoff, barely made the field, big bounce on landing.

OK I'm not doing Will any justice here and with his approval once he gets here, I'll merge the two threads that we've now got going..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Reports.airrace.org is going through a re-design and we have to suffer with PDF reports for this year. It doesn't look like live updates will be a thing, so I'll try to update as I receive info, the old fashioned way...
          Too bad they didn't talk to me! Mark and I could have had them up, at least, a vbulletin message board.. in as long as it took for the nameserver changes to propagate (1-4 days) I seriously doubt that their current website or any iteration of it before was hosted on anything but a shared server environment. I hate to remember it but I'm pretty sure they were/are hosted at word press....

YECH!

In 2011, you could not get through to their site for hours, our dedicated server in a huge big bandwidth datacenter never skipped a beat..

NOT fishing for a job, I'm officially OUT of the web hosting business! I absolutely freaked and was stressed beyond belief when the server I had at the time, which hosted the heritage cup and a couple other websites... Anyway when Texas had the big chill, we were forced to move..

But the downtime forced heritage, at least, to move... Bummer because I'd hosted it from day one..

Oh well... nuff of my personal story LOL
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Reno Air Races 2022 Qualifying Updates

Which Thunder Mustang? There are two on the entry list.
            Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
              Sorry nearly blind here and hard to read my scribble written with one hand.. Guardian Angel
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                As Wayne said, Guardian Angel. Seems like Matt wanted to go all out this year as they had a race engine and race 3-blade. Looks like Clas Thunder is a stock TM this year. Maybe one day we'll have a hot TM survive the week intact.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks everyone for keeping the info flowing! We're so spoiled! I remember sitting sitting in the old media shack in the wee hours uploading updates and a few photos of stuff we'd sent to one hour labs in Reno and scanned on site LOL!!

Thanks to the photo gods for digital!!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

First F1 session was scrubbed for lightning, but they were allowed to tag on to the end of Biplane. Sounds like the beautiful brand new F1 'Deja Vu' had a takeoff incident and flipped over. Pilot got out, presumably ok. Might be some finishing up F1 during the open session tomorrow, I'm not sure if everyone finished.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Jet Qualifying Finished - heat pairings here -

Gold is crazy fast
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I?m on my phone, so I?ll be brief.

Sport 171 just landed safely after a serious mayday. It started blowing black smoke at the home pylon. It turned white as he was making for 14. He landed with visible flames. It looked like he got out safely and they got the fire out. They are towing it back now.

Race 24 also maydayed, but circled for a bit before landing safely.

Comment

Originally posted by wadeh View Post
                          I?m on my phone, so I?ll be brief.

Sport 171 just landed safely after a serious mayday. It started blowing black smoke at the home pylon. It turned white as he was making for 14. He landed with visible flames. It looked like he got out safely and they got the fire out. They are towing it back now.

Race 24 also maydayed, but circled for a bit before landing safely.
                          Thanks wadeh.

For everyone's clarification, Sport *181 Karl Grove did mayday. Lots of smoke. Landed safely and towed off.

Race 24 Jim Rust did mayday and taxiied back under his own power. No smoke.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Glad everyone is OK. I was really hoping Karl was going to be up there pushing the top 3. That monster he has under the cowl seems to be fighting him at every opportunity.
                            Sky Critter

Comment

Ok, I am back at the camper now.

We stopped by Race 181's spot in the pits, and they were working on it. There was no visible damage to the airframe or cowl (which was on the ground as they were looking at the engine). From the conversation, it sounds like they broke a piston. I'm not sure where the flames came from, but now suspect that it was from the exhaust.

We were chatting with someone outside the 181 pit (not affiliated with the team). He said that he had heard that Race 24 lost a turbo, which was why he mayday'ed.

It looks like it might be a tough year for the fast sport planes. Race 39 was out on the ramp, but did not fly. It looked like the Race 30 folks were working on one of the turbos all day long. It might be a busy morning tomorrow, with people trying to get qualified.

We stopped by the Shanty Irish pits again. They finished their repairs and were ready to do some testing on the engine. As we were standing there, I noticed that the cover on the pitot tube under the right wing was smoking. We brought it to their attention, and they were appreciative. Our suspicion is that the pitot heat may be been on, which got the cover hot enough to smoke and partially melt. When we were leaving the pit area, they had moved out onto the ramp and it was running, which was great news.

At the start of the day, it was still raining from the night before. We waited until after the rain stopped, just before 8:30 and went in. It was a pretty comfortable day, but around 3:00, the smoke rolled in, and visibility is now a problem. There are still lots of non-racing planes that are not here yet. We counted 4 planes in the static display area. The only military planes that are here so far are two F-22's. For two days in a row now, the weather has pretty much shut things down around 3:00. If that trend continues, I am curious how many more arrivals they'll be able to get. Also, if the same pattern continues through the week, it might be tough getting all of the races in.

Comment

For everyone's clarification, Sport *181 Karl Grove did mayday. Lots of smoke. Landed safely and towed off.
                                Ugh.

Sorry for the incorrect race number. All I had with me was my phone. I hate typing on a phone screen. I have to back up and fix about 20% of the letters I type. I thought that I proof read it adequately and fixed the typos, but apparently not. And on an important detail, as well.

<sigh>

Comment

Working...
                                X