Blue Skies: Sherman Smoot and Czech Mate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue Skies: Sherman Smoot and Czech Mate

Why did one witness say Sherm did a loop before crashing?
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
      Why did one witness say Sherm did a loop before crashing?
      I'm sure they meant turning around rather than an actual loop...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
        I'm sure they meant turning around rather than an actual loop...
        Honestly, with the stuff put out by certain YouTubers that I generally respect, it would be nice to know what really happened.

Comment

I suppose he was trying to gain altitude in a turn back to Minter without stalling it. Wait and see for further info from NTSB & FAA. I'm sure he was talking to ground support team during flight.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Very saddened by this news... very heartfelt condolences to all those effected. I was just like everyone else - looking forward to seeing Sherman & Czechmate compete this year. Having experienced a recent loss of someone very close myself, I do know that Mr. Smoot would want us to celebrate his life and remember the good times. In that effort below is a photo I found while searching through my archives that captures those good times.

Photo Description: Sherman Smoot in Race #86 Czechmate is congratulated by crew following a very successful test flight prior to qualifying. Things were looking very, very good, until Monday. when the bolts came loose on the reservoir behind the prop and Sherm lost the fluid for prop control, resulting in an overspeed. Although this knocked him out for that year, the speed potential was proven when next year Czechmate finished 4th in the Gold at 445.617 mph... the fastest yet!
            Mark K....

Comment

No words. Blue skies Sherm.

Comment

Great photo Mark.
                Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanshort1 View Post
                  Honestly, with the stuff put out by certain YouTubers that I generally respect, it would be nice to know what really happened.
                  I've quit watching DG and BL/JB after their "reporting" of stuff that I personally know the involved parties. They're no more informed than your typical "action news channel" reporter. The line that got me was accusing someone of doing something "for the clicks", which is their WHOLE SCHTICK with their youtube channels- to get the clicks for monetization.

I was also really looking forward to the races with Chech Mate and Sherm keeping Miss America and Doc honest. I'm "in" the community as much as others, and don't think I ever met Sherm, but I still get a bit emotional when we lose a racer and a plane. The plane could be replicated, but the history is just that- history. And obviously there's no replacing the pilots

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                    I really never ever wanted to be the one to have to report things like these, but it's out there.

We lost Sherm and Czech Mate during a test flight earlier this afternoon. I'm sick, gutted, shocked, sad, devastated.

We'll miss you Sherm, you did so much for our Sport and it will never be the same without you. Blue Skies.

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news...r-plane-crash/
                    I haven't posted here an a while, but thought it would be appropriate to post "God Speed" to a true Unlimited and Air Race Pilot, who served his country, lived life to the fullest and almost always had a smile for almost everyone.

I salute you Sherman as one of my air race heroes and the purveyor of "Fighter Pilot Red".

Warbird Willie

Comment

I was just shooting the breeze in a hanger with Smoot and Merritt at Paso airport a few weeks ago when Sherm was giving T-28 flights to the public. He was soooo looking forward to the races this year to finally win the unlimited gold and become the oldest one to ever do it at the same time. He wasn't too worried about Miss A. Also, a lot of excellent hanger talk about his days launching F-4's off his carrier during Vietnam with hairy ordinance loads and barely enough steam get a good shot. Sure wish I could have recorded the conversation.

I'll never forget the night aerobatic show he did years and years ago at the Paso war bird show in his T-6. Flew super low and super loud right over the hanger while were all eating, drinking, and having a great time. Caught us all way off guard and I'm sure than more than a few of us messed our shorts during that stunt. Was awesome!

CAVU Sherm
                      1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Kathryns Report has an input about Shermans incident with some comments/replies which you have to read yourself. Nothing official. Still prayers & thoughts to all concerned.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Any info on Shermans Funeral or Celebration of Life. I hope they do something at Reno for him so we can all go.
                          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Kathryns Report has an input about Shermans incident with some comments/replies which you have to read yourself. Nothing official. Still prayers & thoughts to all concerned.
                            Where's this report at please?

Comment

Any info on Shermans Funeral or Celebration of Life. I hope they do something at Reno for him so we can all go.
                              You've gotta bet they will do a missing Man and likely Dreadnaught and Miss A will be in it. I hope someone will post a pic of it on here.

Comment

Type in Kathryns Report/open & on the right hand side they list all the current accidents/incidents . Look for the one on the YAK at Shafter/Minter Field.
                                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X