Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blue Skies: Sherman Smoot and Czech Mate

Default Re: Blue Skies: Sherman Smoot and Czech Mate

I first saw Czechmate out at the Hamilton Air races when Bob Yancey brought her out for the first time. A lot of good racing and a lot of great memories of the plane. Would have given Dreadnought a run for her money for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapskater View Post
    I first saw Czechmate out at the Hamilton Air races when Bob Yancey brought her out for the first time. A lot of good racing and a lot of great memories of the plane. Would have given Dreadnought a run for her money for sure.
    It did in 1991. Finished 4th ahead of Dreadnought in the Clash of the Titans. From the fence...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lrJk...ature=emb_logo

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    It did in 1991. Finished 4th ahead of Dreadnought in the Clash of the Titans. From the fence...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lrJk...ature=emb_logo
    There aren't many years that Dreadnought has beaten Czech Mate. I still feel like this was going to be a battle between Miss America 2.0 and Czech Mate. People are really underestimating how good of a job they're doing prepping Miss A this year. Heck we have fine details about Miss A's prep via Mark's thread, and people still don't think it's going to be fast!
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-03-2022 at 06:50 PM.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '21

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    There aren't many years that Dreadnought has beaten Czech Mate. I still feel like this was going to be a battle between Miss America 2.0 and Czech Mate.
    The last two RARA email newsletters made a big deal of the three-way fight expected between CM, Dreadnought and Miss A. Personally I was excited to be rooting for the Yak in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacYates View Post
    The last two RARA email newsletters made a big deal of the three-way fight expected between CM, Dreadnought and Miss A. Personally I was excited to be rooting for the Yak in a few days.
    If only.

Why did one witness say Sherm did a loop before crashing?
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Why did one witness say Sherm did a loop before crashing?
    I'm sure they meant turning around rather than an actual loop...

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    I'm sure they meant turning around rather than an actual loop...
    Honestly, with the stuff put out by certain YouTubers that I generally respect, it would be nice to know what really happened.

I suppose he was trying to gain altitude in a turn back to Minter without stalling it. Wait and see for further info from NTSB & FAA. I'm sure he was talking to ground support team during flight.
    Lockheed Bob

Very saddened by this news... very heartfelt condolences to all those effected. I was just like everyone else - looking forward to seeing Sherman & Czechmate compete this year. Having experienced a recent loss of someone very close myself, I do know that Mr. Smoot would want us to celebrate his life and remember the good times. In that effort below is a photo I found while searching through my archives that captures those good times.

Photo Description: Sherman Smoot in Race #86 Czechmate is congratulated by crew following a very successful test flight prior to qualifying. Things were looking very, very good, until Monday. when the bolts came loose on the reservoir behind the prop and Sherm lost the fluid for prop control, resulting in an overspeed. Although this knocked him out for that year, the speed potential was proven when next year Czechmate finished 4th in the Gold at 445.617 mph... the fastest yet!
    Mark K....