Blue Skies: Sherman Smoot and Czech Mate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies: Sherman Smoot and Czech Mate

I really never ever wanted to be the one to have to report things like these, but it's out there.

We lost Sherm and Czech Mate during a test flight earlier this afternoon. I'm sick, gutted, shocked, sad, devastated.

We'll miss you Sherm, you did so much for our Sport and it will never be the same without you. Blue Skies.

SHAFTER, Calif., (KGET) — One man is dead after crashing his racing plane outside Minter Field Airport shortly after take off in Shafter on Friday morning. Kern County Fire Department Battali…
    Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 09-02-2022, 01:50 PM. Reason: Too early
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Sherm and Czech Mate

Very sad news!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Sherm and Czech Mate

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      I really never ever wanted to be the one to have to report things like these, but it's out there.

We lost Sherm and Czech Mate during a test flight earlier this afternoon. I'm sick, gutted, shocked, sad, devastated.

We'll miss you Sherm, you did so much for our Sport and it will never be the same without you. Blue Skies.

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news...r-plane-crash/
      Sorry to have nipped your post earlier. I'd been asked to keep a lid on things for a *bit* of time so that proper notification of those involved could be achieved.. Thanks for understanding
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Blue Skies: Sherman Smoot and Czech Mate

posted.....
        Last edited by Lon Moer; 09-02-2022, 05:37 PM.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Gut punch! Blue skies Sherman Smoot.

Comment

Absolutely awful news to wake up to. A massive loss to the sport. I'm stunned.

Another local news story can be read here.
            Zac in NZ

Comment

Blue Skies & Tailwinds Sherm. You will be greatly missed. Prayers & Thoughts to all involved with Sherm & "Czech Mate".
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news...r-plane-crash/
                I'm just stunned. This is surreal and unimaginable. But it just IS and it stuns.

Comment

A fond memory from 1987. When Bob Yancy first brought the Yak to Reno he said in an interview he didn't even know if it would do a pylon turn. Well it sure did and I was there to see it happen. Then it evolved and grew up into a real Gold class racer that Sherman Smoot took to its greatest heights. Bob would be proud of his little would be racer and proud of the one who took her there. I will miss you Sherm and Czech Mate. I will miss you VERY MUCH! Blue Skies and Tailwinds to you both.

Comment

Terrible news. Prayers and condolences to all concerned.

Comment

I first saw Czechmate out at the Hamilton Air races when Bob Yancey brought her out for the first time. A lot of good racing and a lot of great memories of the plane. Would have given Dreadnought a run for her money for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapskater View Post
                        I first saw Czechmate out at the Hamilton Air races when Bob Yancey brought her out for the first time. A lot of good racing and a lot of great memories of the plane. Would have given Dreadnought a run for her money for sure.
                        It did in 1991. Finished 4th ahead of Dreadnought in the Clash of the Titans. From the fence...
                        Video from 1991 Reno Air Races. Unlimited class Heat 3C featuring Rare Bear (Lyle Shelton), Strega (Bill Destefani), Tsumami (Steve Hinton), Dreadnought (Bri...

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                          It did in 1991. Finished 4th ahead of Dreadnought in the Clash of the Titans. From the fence...
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lrJk...ature=emb_logo
                          There aren't many years that Dreadnought has beaten Czech Mate. I still feel like this was going to be a battle between Miss America 2.0 and Czech Mate. People are really underestimating how good of a job they're doing prepping Miss A this year. Heck we have fine details about Miss A's prep via Mark's thread, and people still don't think it's going to be fast!
                          Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-03-2022, 06:50 PM.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

There aren't many years that Dreadnought has beaten Czech Mate. I still feel like this was going to be a battle between Miss America 2.0 and Czech Mate.
                            The last two RARA email newsletters made a big deal of the three-way fight expected between CM, Dreadnought and Miss A. Personally I was excited to be rooting for the Yak in a few days.
                            Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                              The last two RARA email newsletters made a big deal of the three-way fight expected between CM, Dreadnought and Miss A. Personally I was excited to be rooting for the Yak in a few days.
                              If only.

Comment

Working...
                              X