Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    reno
    Posts
    219

    Default Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Super excited to see Smoot and the the fastest little Yak come back. It's been a few years so I was hoping someone with knowledge could share what powerplant mods she has under the cowling. P&W 2800 hung on the front with custom prop we know. What other Secret Pete stuff is hiding in there?
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

  2. #2

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    I don't know that I've ever seen a really in depth rundown of what all has been done to CM's R2800. It might be an interesting read if someone knows.

    Will

  3. #3

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    I don't know that I've ever seen a really in depth rundown of what all has been done to CM's R2800. It might be an interesting read if someone knows.

    Will
    Several years ago I asked and was told they just dropped in a 2500 HP factory engine. After all they are the greatest American piston aircraft engine you can get. I had wondered why not the 2800 HP one but believe I was told it wasn't needed. I don't remember if this was Bob Yancy that told me this or Sherm? However it was before its top qual speed of 464 not so long ago. This is a several years old memory so maybe not perfect. However with a 464 mph lap speed I think that means they can hit 500 or more on the straight shots and brothers and sisters that aint hay for a little modified trainer. If some body can please refresh my memory I can remember they took 2nd Gold once or twice and can't remember if they ever got 1st. Seems like one of these was because of pylon cut(S) but still got the well earned position.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,003

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    They are limited by prop more than engine. The engines they use are just high quality rebuilds with an eye toward not blowing them up instead of making the most power possible.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    reno
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    They are limited by prop more than engine. The engines they use are just high quality rebuilds with an eye toward not blowing them up instead of making the most power possible.
    Do they run ADI?
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,003

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by boomtown View Post
    Do they run ADI?
    Yes. They do run ADI.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Wasn't it said that CzM was more than a handful to control back when it had the R2000? Seems like it was always on the ragged edge, which is cool and all. This thing must be like a sprint car in the air!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Every time it lands, I hold my breath !!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    Wasn't it said that CzM was more than a handful to control back when it had the R2000? Seems like it was always on the ragged edge, which is cool and all. This thing must be like a sprint car in the air!
    It has never raced with an R2000. When Bob Yancy brought it to Reno the first time, it had the firewall forward off his Corsair with a different, much shorter prop.

    Yes its always been a handful, very pitch sensitive, essentially zero forward visibility on takeoff or landing, and must take off and land from a 3 point attitude so the prop doesn't strike.

    Will

  10. #10

    Default Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

    Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    It has never raced with an R2000. When Bob Yancy brought it to Reno the first time, it had the firewall forward off his Corsair with a different, much shorter prop.

    Yes its always been a handful, very pitch sensitive, essentially zero forward visibility on takeoff or landing, and must take off and land from a 3 point attitude so the prop doesn't strike.

    Will
    Yes its always been a handful, very pitch sensitive, essentially zero forward visibility on takeoff or landing, and must take off and land from a 3 point attitude so the prop doesn't strike.


    Very much like Rare Bear Bob and Lyle played sit in each other's cockpits at an event one time. Lyle thought that if improvements could be made to the wing (which eventually happened) the YAK would make a real great racer.


    John
    John Slack

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •