Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

Super excited to see Smoot and the the fastest little Yak come back. It's been a few years so I was hoping someone with knowledge could share what powerplant mods she has under the cowling. P&W 2800 hung on the front with custom prop we know. What other Secret Pete stuff is hiding in there?
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Re: Race 86 Czech Mate Engine Mods

I don't know that I've ever seen a really in depth rundown of what all has been done to CM's R2800. It might be an interesting read if someone knows.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      I don't know that I've ever seen a really in depth rundown of what all has been done to CM's R2800. It might be an interesting read if someone knows.

Will
      Several years ago I asked and was told they just dropped in a 2500 HP factory engine. After all they are the greatest American piston aircraft engine you can get. I had wondered why not the 2800 HP one but believe I was told it wasn't needed. I don't remember if this was Bob Yancy that told me this or Sherm? However it was before its top qual speed of 464 not so long ago. This is a several years old memory so maybe not perfect. However with a 464 mph lap speed I think that means they can hit 500 or more on the straight shots and brothers and sisters that aint hay for a little modified trainer. If some body can please refresh my memory I can remember they took 2nd Gold once or twice and can't remember if they ever got 1st. Seems like one of these was because of pylon cut(S) but still got the well earned position.

Comment

They are limited by prop more than engine. The engines they use are just high quality rebuilds with an eye toward not blowing them up instead of making the most power possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          They are limited by prop more than engine. The engines they use are just high quality rebuilds with an eye toward not blowing them up instead of making the most power possible.
          Do they run ADI?
          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
            Do they run ADI?
            Yes. They do run ADI.

Comment

Wasn't it said that CzM was more than a handful to control back when it had the R2000? Seems like it was always on the ragged edge, which is cool and all. This thing must be like a sprint car in the air!

Comment

Every time it lands, I hold my breath !!

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                  Wasn't it said that CzM was more than a handful to control back when it had the R2000? Seems like it was always on the ragged edge, which is cool and all. This thing must be like a sprint car in the air!
                  It has never raced with an R2000. When Bob Yancy brought it to Reno the first time, it had the firewall forward off his Corsair with a different, much shorter prop.

Yes its always been a handful, very pitch sensitive, essentially zero forward visibility on takeoff or landing, and must take off and land from a 3 point attitude so the prop doesn't strike.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    It has never raced with an R2000. When Bob Yancy brought it to Reno the first time, it had the firewall forward off his Corsair with a different, much shorter prop.

Yes its always been a handful, very pitch sensitive, essentially zero forward visibility on takeoff or landing, and must take off and land from a 3 point attitude so the prop doesn't strike.

Will

Very much like Rare Bear Bob and Lyle played sit in each other's cockpits at an event one time. Lyle thought that if improvements could be made to the wing (which eventually happened) the YAK would make a real great racer.

John
                    John Slack

Comment

When Bob first raced the Yak he ran T-28 A blades. That made the prop around ten feet in dia.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post

Very much like Rare Bear Bob and Lyle played sit in each other's cockpits at an event one time. Lyle thought that if improvements could be made to the wing (which eventually happened) the YAK would make a real great racer.

John
                        Watching Lyle land/taxi/t.o. Rare Bear and Bob, then Smoot, etc do the same with CzM was entertainment on its own. I've been chatting with the owner/pilot of the only surviving P-63F this week who also flies a P-39. Interestingly both are pretty demanding in the same phases of operation. Most - BellCobraIV aside - might think that their tricycle configuration would make them a comparative breeze.

Apparently not. Can you say free-castering nose wheel and differential braking?

The P-63 this gent flies/owns has raced three times. First in the 1946 Thompson Trophy, the second time in 1976 with Jack Flaherty qualifying and Steve Hinton hurling it around the sticks, and then again in 1978 I think it was, when the Whittingtons owned it. Don flew the F and Precious Metal, Bill flew their H model Mustang.
                        Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post

John
                          Thanks for stopping by John, always love getting info from you! I enjoy our phone conversations immensely and appreciate your genuine concern for Linda and my heath! Truly a good friend!!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            Watching Lyle land/taxi/t.o. Rare Bear and Bob, then Smoot, etc do the same with CzM was entertainment on its own. I've been chatting with the owner/pilot of the only surviving P-63F this week who also flies a P-39. Interestingly both are pretty demanding in the same phases of operation. Most - BellCobraIV aside - might think that their tricycle configuration would make them a comparative breeze.

Apparently not. Can you say free-castering nose wheel and differential braking?

The P-63 this gent flies/owns has raced three times. First in the 1946 Thompson Trophy, the second time in 1976 with Jack Flaherty qualifying and Steve Hinton hurling it around the sticks, and then again in 1978 I think it was, when the Whittingtons owned it. Don flew the F and Precious Metal, Bill flew their H model Mustang.
                            I assume you're referring to Craig Hutain. Craig attended PRS a few years ago, I wonder why that never materialized into racing anything
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

When Bob Yancey first built the Yak did he take the R2800 off of Ole Blue and use it on the Yak and was it an R2800 CB-17?

Comment

Working...
                              X