Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fate of September Fury?

Originally posted by mkd1966 View Post
    I'm not sure how recent this is - but I also see Mr. Getchell's Sea Fury N260X getting some love as well... Thanks for posting these photo's... Mike
    I don't know who flies N260X, but before his passing Getchell had set-up his estate to support the Sea Fury's future.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Anyone know what is going to happen to the R3350 slow nose case? Not very common...

Comment

Originally posted by cragdweller View Post
        Anyone know what is going to happen to the R3350 slow nose case? Not very common...
        Rod kept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          Rod kept it.
          From what I understand he is sitting on a few. RB, 232 and any spares that came with, maybe more.

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
            From what I understand he is sitting on a few. RB, 232 and any spares that came with, maybe more.
            When Rod was buying Rare Bear we picked up the engine that Tom Dwelle had at that point that gave Rod Dwelle's Slow nose (1ea.) And the ones Lyle had (3ea.) For a total of 4, acquiring the American Spirit got him the (2ea.) That Dave Cornell had got from Darryl Greensmeyer. For a total of 6. At one point when I was in charge of knowing who has what we knew of (7ea.) Nose cases in addition to the (5ea.) Noses cases spares that Red Bull got with their Super Connie plus the (4ea.) that were on the airplane. 4 of the five Red Bull spares had extreme rust on the propeller shafts reducing the number by 4. Leaving Red Bull with 5 for their Constellation.

The one that Rod did not have was at one point and may still be part of what Riff Raff had. We had suggested to Rod that if he owned all of the slow nose cases it would help eliminate the competition in addition to giving Rare Bear a great source of spare parts.

That's what I know Rod has almost all of them. I sold him all of my spare gears from what I found over the years.
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
              When Rod was buying Rare Bear we picked up the engine that Tom Dweller had at that point that gave Rod Dwelle's Slow nose (1ea.) And the ones Lyle had (3ea.) For a total of 4, acquiring the American Spirit got him the (2ea.) That Dave Cornell had got from Darryl Greensmeyer. For a total of 6. At one point when I was in charge of knowing who has what we knew of (7ea.) Nose cases in addition to the (5ea.) Noses cases spares that Red Bull got with their Super Connie plus the (4ea.) that were on the airplane. 4 of the five Red Bull spares had extreme rust on the propeller shafts reducing the number by 4. Leaving Red Bull with 5 for their Constellation.

The one that Rod did not have was at one point and may still be part of what Riff Raff had. We had suggested to Rod that if he owned all of the slow nose cases it would help eliminate the competition in addition to giving Rare Bear a great source of spare parts.

That's what I know Rod has almost all of them. I sold him all of my spare gears from what I found over the years.
              Did Lufthansa have any for their Super Connie restoration?

Comment

We had a slow speed nose case. Mike bought it off of Matt Jackson early 2002 or 2003. Had dreams of using it but that never materialized. We had an engine built up by Aircraft Cylinders right before they went out of business. That engine made one high power test flight. Had awesome torque numbers and made great HP. Sadly when pulled the oil screens it was packed with silver. We sent it off to Jeff Abbott.Mike traded him the nose case for repairing it. I'm pretty sure Rod ended up with that nose case.
                Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  Did Lufthansa have any for their Super Connie restoration?
                  I apologize, all of the nose cases that I referred to as Red Bull were actually Lufthansa nose cases. Brain fade.
                  John Slack

Comment

So does Rod have warehouses full of spares/cores/engines a la Kermit? Kermit's hangar in Polk with all the engines is impressive and I would like to imagine Rod has something similar with mostly round engines.

Comment

Speaking of warehouses full of parts, there use to be an ad on Courtesy Aircraft Sales with a Mustang and several spare parts with Merlin's whole and in pieces. They wanted 4.5 for the lot. I've always wondered if anyone could ever go in and evaluate what was there as far as dash numbers on the Merlin's.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                        Speaking of warehouses full of parts, there use to be an ad on Courtesy Aircraft Sales with a Mustang and several spare parts with Merlin's whole and in pieces. They wanted 4.5 for the lot. I've always wondered if anyone could ever go in and evaluate what was there as far as dash numbers on the Merlin's.
                        That was Connie Edward's stash. After he passed away a couple of years ago, everything was sold off. The Mustang went to an unidentified buyer and most, if not all, of the engine stuff went to Roush.

Comment

The Mustang went to Chris MacAllister. A vintage car racer.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                            When Rod was buying Rare Bear we picked up the engine that Tom Dwelle had at that point that gave Rod Dwelle's Slow nose (1ea.) And the ones Lyle had (3ea.) For a total of 4, acquiring the American Spirit got him the (2ea.) That Dave Cornell had got from Darryl Greensmeyer. For a total of 6. At one point when I was in charge of knowing who has what we knew of (7ea.) Nose cases in addition to the (5ea.) Noses cases spares that Red Bull got with their Super Connie plus the (4ea.) that were on the airplane. 4 of the five Red Bull spares had extreme rust on the propeller shafts reducing the number by 4. Leaving Red Bull with 5 for their Constellation.

John; Thanks for all of this. WOW! What a treasure trove of information. Since you mentioned it where is American Spirit now and if you know is it going to be finished? If I understand right Rod Lewis has it now and wondering why Cornell sold it? Do you happen to know if any of the past Gold Unlimiteds are coming back after this year? Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X