Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graeme Frew new Boeing 787

Default Re: Graeme Frew new Boeing 787

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Looks a lot like Czec Mate flown by Sherman Smoot?
    It is similar, and I think they got the idea from Czech Mate, but went up an engine size from the R2800 to a 3350. The extra weight of the larger engine made it very scary to fly so they added the T33 tail to it and that made it fly better.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Reever View Post
    Has it ever been advertised for sale?
    Jack had it listed for many years. Never had any takers so he donated it to the museum for the tax write off.

Now here is a bit of Irony... Mark K found these and posted them in the Miss A thread back on June 11th...

And here we are talking about the very same bird in a separate a couple weeks later.
    And this pic pops up on FB. (The image will disappear in time when FB moves it and the link is broken.)

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 06-30-2022 at 11:40 PM.

Was the vertical stab scratch built?

Quote Originally Posted by Reever View Post
    Was the vertical stab scratch built?
    In the first iteration as Mr Awesome, the vertical stabilizer had added area, but this was shown to be insufficient.

So the second version had a T-33 tail group, including the horizontal parts, added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    It is similar, and I think they got the idea from Czech Mate, but went up an engine size from the R2800 to a 3350. The extra weight of the larger engine made it very scary to fly so they added the T33 tail to it and that made it fly better.

Will

IIRC it also was a turbo compound with the PRT's!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFan View Post
    IIRC it also was a turbo compound with the PRT's!

Kevin
    Based off the exhaust setup, I'd have to say you are right. I recall being told why PRT engines weren't the best for racing, but I can't remember why.

Will

Any word at all on future of this plane? 1998 was a LONG time ago. Personally, for me those small wings and that huge engine give me great fears for the pilot wresting it around the pylons. An R2800 is a great engine for it. We need more big engine Yaks out there. The spirit of Bob Yancy lives on in some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
    Any word at all on future of this plane? 1998 was a LONG time ago. Personally, for me those small wings and that huge engine give me great fears for the pilot wresting it around the pylons. An R2800 is a great engine for it. We need more big engine Yaks out there. The spirit of Bob Yancy lives on in some of us.
    As far as I can tell, this birds future is sitting right where its at until the museum does something with it, or sells it. I'd be shocked if it ever races. That said, one of the Sport guys might get ambitious and offer the museum some $ and strike a deal. Who knows.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    As far as I can tell, this birds future is sitting right where its at until the museum does something with it, or sells it. I'd be shocked if it ever races. That said, one of the Sport guys might get ambitious and offer the museum some $ and strike a deal. Who knows.

Will
    Or like Tom Dwelle go from T6 to Unlimited(Gold). Speaking of which did I see a mention the EX Critical Mass, BMB is going to be back racing in stock form or did I misunderstand?