Tryin' Hard Not To croak before Reno 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tryin' Hard Not To croak before Reno 2022

Welcome to the AFIB club... Mine was a present on my 49th birthday. literally ON my birthday. So its been nearly 10 years since first episode Mine is "paroxysmal AFIB" which means it happens out of the blue for no clear reason. After 3 episodes spaced about 2 years apart (one while on a research ship at sea that resulted in a CoastGuard ride to shore...) my doc put me on Flecainide, and I haven't had a problem since (that was 3+ years ago). But there are lots of caveats with that drug... ESPECIALLY contra-indicated if you've ever had a heart attack, angina, or tachycardia as it can actually trigger tachycardia.

Learned all sorts of interesting things. The stress of the last 10 years of working probably were the trigger, but undiagnosed (and zero symptom) sleep apnea was probably what caused the underlying damage. Right now I'm good, but there's probably an ablation procedure out there in my future. 10 years ago, success with ablation for AFIB was only about 60% so they didn't go there. The success rate is way higher now. My heart doc says every day/month/year I can put it off, the better the procedure is getting, so for now its flecainide.

Also, they immediately put me on blood thinners when I first showed up with AFIB, but my cardiologist took me off thenm when he was certain that it was just episodic and that I could always tell when it was happening (feels like rabbits fighting in my chest). He says that blood thinners have been very over-prescribed in the past, they add risk of a bleeding stroke even while lowering the risk of a clotting stroke, so its a balancing act. They're a lot better now than the bad old days of Warfarin (the active ingredient in rat poison), so if you need them they're much better than they used to be. Aspirin can actually cause easy bleeding more readily than some of the new blood thinners.

Best wishes, and good health!
    Last edited by 440_Magnum; 07-15-2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

After 2 episodes of coughing up blood & being misdiagnosed with pnemounia they decided I had edema of the lungs & heart & proceeded to cure it with getting rid of excessive fluid. I haven't had any more bouts with the problem. I take a water pill every day along with a blood thinner + 3 BP & 1 cholestral daily. I had a pacemaker installed & set at 60Pulse rate. All OK for now.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        After 2 episodes of coughing up blood & being misdiagnosed with pnemounia they decided I had edema of the lungs & heart & proceeded to cure it with getting rid of excessive fluid. I haven't had any more bouts with the problem. I take a water pill every day along with a blood thinner + 3 BP & 1 cholestral daily. I had a pacemaker installed & set at 60Pulse rate. All OK for now.
        Answering both of you guys at once I'm pretty sure they can help me, it's pretty pronounced.. I sent in the heart monitor today, It just takes time to actually get dianosed fully and for them to come up with a fix.. They must not think I'm in in need of immediate care, so I'm just taking it easy. As we get closer to RENO, I'm beginning to worry. I for sure can't come unless they fix me.. At least get the AFIB in order!

Gonna break my heart if I can't make it..

As for volunteering for a team. I was chatting with Doc Hisey and mentioned my lack of enthusiasm for this year... He invited me to embed with them!!! Since I'm not in OK City and Pylon1Mark is, was a natural to throw him the ball!

I am excited, I just need to get my heart rate in balance!! REALLY low to REALLLLY HIGH sometimes.. When really high, som'bitch is fluttering like an out of tune 2 cycle lawn mower engine! I had one, Portland, Oregon is a very old city and it has curbs in neighborhood streets that still have the embedded rings to tie up horses.. Well, that thing was wound up like a tornado and it hit a horse ring.. Stopped it INSTANTLY! Bent the "prop shaft" and the sudden stop rebound torque shook loose a bunch of necessary stuff, it was toast! Wish I could remember the brand! Would have been the mid to early 70's.. I'm pretty sure it was green, and an aluminum deck. Lawnboy"""

You can tell I'm feeling better right now by the content of my message..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
        X