NAME CHANGE RACEPLANES.COM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAME CHANGE RACEPLANES.COM

Posted in another thread, thought it deserved separate thread.

the reason for naming the site aafo are no longer relevant..

I've got to go in and do a lot of work for Will in the bowels of the site software, might as well make the change!

No current user would be lost, AAFO would simply redirect to raceplanes... I'll need some kind soul to help me with new site graphics...

What you think??? If i can keep my fingers steady enough to do the work!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: NAME CHANGE RACEPLANES.COM

Sounds good to me. More relevant, should bring more traffic. Will, good luck with continuing the site into the future.
    Last edited by Plane Nuts; 05-28-2022, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I was thinking we could do a separate area for Reno stuff, and general aviation stuff. Since there is not a lot of Reno content for most of the year (Hopefully this will change in the future) a general aviation area might be nice to have for non Reno events or things like Red Flag, Oshkosh, Chino, or your local flyin. There are a lot of people who are turned off by or don't even know about racing stuff, they won't even look at the site. If there is an area that might catch their attention, perhaps this could change?

Everyone here is already an air race fan. What the sport needs is NEW air racing fans. We are a way of capturing some new interest, but we need a lure to get them to look.

The name is already a known site. It just looks like there really haven't been any updates in years. This is why I'd like to start updating the title page. Get some word about PRS 2022, some general warbird/aviation events that are coming up, stuff like that so if someone does a google search of "Airshow" or something like that, we pop up. There is current info about the races, and other events to capture some attention. Do I know if this will work? Nope. Could it hurt to try? Unlikely, so why not?

Will

Comment

Maybe a good idea... ??

Someone types aafo.com they wind up at what is now aafo.com. It does, after all stand for ALL aviation. I'm looking at how to manage the new software, I think I'll eventually remember wtf I'm doing LOL...

If you type raceplanes.com you wind up directly at hangartalk.. The stuff I can do (when I remember how) with server level redirects, particularly since I'll NEVER put this site on a UNFAFE shared platform.

Geez, back when I knew how, I had made this site's bowels virtually invisible to the hackers..

Dumb ones, which are most of the ones who'd be wasting time on our server, can't even find the command line (SSH) portal.. It aint where it's supposed to be.

Anyway, we have to stay on a dedicated box or I can't begin to deal with it. What dedicated is, we live on an individual computer sitting in a rack with 100's if not more other computers. Each only connect to the same network, no other interaction happens. EXTREMELY hard for anyone to use the box as a harmful relay.. Which actually can happen with your own computer but we're dealing with HUGE data pipelines in the "farm"

Nothing set in stone, much workie by me and others necessary but.. I think going forward,, for the good of the sport, raceplanes.com simply speaks AIR RACING... aafo.com is merely a curiosity not going to pop in today's search engine algo's...

I think it could be a total win win.. especially since the domains have all been pointing to aafo all along.. (current server does not recognize my nameservers for those sites.. only takes an hour of so of me being able to concentrate long enough to fix..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Okay sounds like a reasonable idea.

Will

Comment

Working...
          X