Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami prop

Hello,

I'm a long term lurker, first time poster. My first race was the Texas Air Races back in '90 where Tsunami took the win. I didn't make it to Reno until '92, so unfortunately I only got to see her once. I'm working on a little Tsunami project and I've come across a few pics of Tsunami in the orange paint scheme with two different props (attached photos from internet). Can the resident experts tell me a bit about the more unique one and exactly which one she ran with on Sunday '91?

Much appreciation!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tsunami Prop 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	242789Click image for larger version

Name:	Tsunami Prop 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	242790
    James

Re: Tsunami prop

Originally posted by Red 5 View Post
    Hello,

I'm a long term lurker, first time poster. My first race was the Texas Air Races back in '90 where Tsunami took the win. I didn't make it to Reno until '92, so unfortunately I only got to see her once. I'm working on a little Tsunami project and I've come across a few pics of Tsunami in the orange paint scheme with two different props (attached photos from internet). Can the resident experts tell me a bit about the more unique one and exactly which one she ran with on Sunday '91?

Much appreciation!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]26517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26518[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for posting. Tsunami ran the Aeroproducts (I believe) paddle blade prop for racing. I think they tested the scimitar prop but never raced with it. I can't remember if it was slower, or if there was another issue with it. I bet if you do a search on here for "Tsunami prop" or "Tsunami Skyprop" you will find more answers than you can count. I think it popped up sometime in the last year in one of the threads.

Actually here you go.
    MANY MOONS AGO THE COMPOSITE PROP WAS TESTED ON JOHN
    SANDBERGS STOCK MUSTANG, AS WELL AS JOE KASPEROFS "THE HEALER". WHILE ON THE STOCK MUSTANGS, THE PERFORMANCE WAS
    BETTER, BUT NOT GREAT. IN SEPTEMBER OF 91' , THE PROP WAS
    PUT ON TSUNAMI, WHILE HERE AT RENO, AND AFTER SKIP HOLM
    RAN THE AIRCRAFT UP TO 100", THERE WAS A MINOR "PORPOSING"
    EPISODE AND THE RACER WAS CLEARLY 30 MPH SLOWER THAN WITH
    THE REGULAR PADDLE BLADE. SKIP MADE A PROMT LANDING, AND
    IMEADIATLY TOLD JOHN SANDBERG, "GET THAT THING OFF THERE TONIGHT". JOHN SANDBERGS DAUGHTER SHARON,HAS THAT PROP WITH THE OTHER REMAINS OF TSUNAMI, WHICH IS NOW UNDER RESTORATION.
    I'M SURE SOME OF YOU KIDS MIGHT HAVE SOME PICTURES OF THAT SOMEWHERE.
    CHEERS ALL~GHOSTRIDER"

The link to the thread...
    All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

I hope you can make it to Reno this year. You might have a chance to see the progress on the rebuild of Tsunami.

Will
    "

Comment

Re: Tsunami prop

Thanks for the info Will. I'm always excited to see the progress on Tsunami. I will certainly be there this year; haven't missed a year since '99.
      James

Comment

Working...
      X