Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

We're missing your updates Mark! Best wishes to you and your wife, hoping for the best.

A Miss America update for everyone, per Flightaware she went on a half-hour flight this past Saturday. Looks like it went smooth and she returned to Wiley Post without issue
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      We're missing your updates Mark! Best wishes to you and your wife, hoping for the best.

A Miss America update for everyone, per Flightaware she went on a half-hour flight this past Saturday. Looks like it went smooth and she returned to Wiley Post without issue
      Thanks for the well wishes... I was aware that Brent was taking Miss A up this last weekend but unfortunately, I was unable to attend. I've kept this rather quiet until now, but after 10 months of aggressive cancer treatment the cancer appeared that it was only getting worse. My wife decided it's time to stop chemo/radiation treatments & go hospice care. She's resting comfortably now and will continue to do so until the time comes. I've been rather busy making preparations and all, and I got all the biggies out of the way now. That being said, I do intend to get back out to talk with the crew as soon as I can - I just have a higher priority issue right now.

Thanks for your patience guys... I should have a report for you next week.
      Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
        That being said, I do intend to get back out to talk with the crew as soon as I can - I just have a higher priority issue right now.
        Mark, please take all the time you need. We can wait.
        Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
          AMEN. First things first.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
            What he said Markers... Hang in there buddy!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As reported earlier, Miss America is back to flying status following Brent's test flight on 7/16 after her annual inspection and other preparations for this year's National Championship Air Races. The flight itself went off without a hitch... all systems worked to perfection. Pictured above you see the aircraft as she sits in the hangar, with everything in place & tested for the final race modification to be completed & installed - the race motor, blower & aftercooler.

The Rick Shanholtzer prepared motor and ancillaries have been in Miss America for as many years as Brent has owned her, and as we stated previously this year's package will be "rather special". How special is it you say? Well, although I cannot disclose everything - I'll share some information that will certainly pique your interest.

Earlier in this thread I asked how many times Miss America has run Allison rods in the past - never, 1, 2, or 4 times. The correct answer is 4, and after this year's race - you can add another one to that number. Yes, Miss A will not be running the transport merlin rods again this year and although this isn't going to be something new to Miss America or Mr. Shanholtzer, the fact that Rick was able to source the special bearings required is no short of a small miracle. After the Galloping Ghost accident dedicated air racing parts suppliers have become rare (due to the obvious potential of liability that was exposed during the investigation & litigation after the incident). Luckily, Rick sourced some of the few remaining for this year's build - and hopefully these last remaining are free from manufacturing defects. There are some variables here, but no more than any other year of air racing... you pays your money and you take your chances, nothing is guaranteed. But having an expert engine builder like Rick in your corner betters the odds in your favor tremendously.

Brent had previously stated he wanted to run 120 inches of manifold pressure this year to insure he can get ahead and stay in front of Dreadnought, and Rick's Allison rod merlin will be more than capable of that. The other parts of that package, the blower, aftercooler, & prop gears will also be up to the task at hand (but it's also something we can't go into depth on just yet). Let's just say it's all part of the package... and a package that has a measurable outcome, just like any performance-based calculation.

We all know Pete Law is the design guru of air racing... having an asset like that in your corner who can "run the numbers" and tell you exactly what you'll get takes almost all the guesswork out of it. While I won't tell you the exact number that Pete came up with (considering the power generated at a given RPM, the gearing of the prop, prop governor setting, gearing of the aftercooler, parasitic & induced drag, other aerodynamics involved, along with a host of other variables) I will say it's well above the race speeds of last year's Gold Race.... well above.

So there you have it... Miss A will be sporting an Allison rod merlin package which Pete Law has stated is good for lap speeds well above of last year's race average (as well as above any average race speed ever posted in Sunday's final by Dreadnought or Chech Mate - Opps, I said it out loud didn't I). More coming soon as Reno 2022 draws near.

Gentlemen, you have a race!
              Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 07-26-2022, 07:30 PM. Reason: changed pictures to larger format
              Mark K....

Comment

Good stuff! I have a feeling they are going to need every mph they can get out of that engine to stay ahead of Czech Mate this year. I'm excited for the racing this year.

Will

Comment

Now I'm getting excited! Only 6 weeks to go...

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    Good stuff! I have a feeling they are going to need every mph they can get out of that engine to stay ahead of Czech Mate this year. I'm excited for the racing this year.

Will
                    I indeed concur. If Czech Mate is running strong I expect him to be ahead of Dreadnaught. Miss A adds up to actually having a Gold race competition up front this year.

Comment

• Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                      I indeed concur. If Czech Mate is running strong I expect him to be ahead of Dreadnaught. Miss A adds up to actually having a Gold race competition up front this year.
                      Dreadnought is all done at 450, Czech Mate at 465ish. If anything goes not to plan and Miss A ends up somewhere behind either of those two, Brent's going to have to run 475-480 to get around whoever is in front, and its going to be a wide line, so that will be slow as well. In order to win, I'd say Miss A will need to be able to run 475+. Down the chute I'm guessing speeds will be well north of 500 mph. Getting qualified and positioned in first or second will be critical, then there can be no mistakes, no DNFs for high flying ect. I think Brent can do it, but he can't make any of the mistakes that were made last year. He's got the airplane, I hope magic happens.

Will

Comment

Kind of curious about the allison bearing issue, is it not possible to make new ones?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BEARMAN #77 View Post
                          Kind of curious about the allison bearing issue, is it not possible to make new ones?
                          I believe all of those bearings used for the Allison rod conversion were made new. That was not an off the shelf part from an Allison or a Merlin. The problem is finding someone with the knowledge, ability and willingness to make them.

Comment

• Doctor's Orders

Hate to say it but as of today, I'm officially advised by my cardiologist who has ordered an "ablation surgery" as soon as I can get it I have to take warfarin for three weeks prior to the surgery and he advised me to stay in the area after the procedure. So, even if I get all this done ASAP, which my heart monitor study shows I need to do NOW.. Timing aint gonna work for me for RENO

This especially sucks because I was to embed with Doc Hisey and his crew to journal their effort toward the win we all would like to see.

Doctor told me I need to stay in the area.. and that what I need done can't wait. My heart is racing, then slowing to below normal and stopping..

Would not have been a good idea to ignore this and work on it after RENO.

This obviously kills my plans for the story I've been working on.. Mark is doing the best he can pulling out some amazingly candid first hand info from crew and pilot. I would pull funds from my pocket to get him there, at least for a few days. But, as you know, Mark's love of his life Kim is hours away from passing, he will not be able to fill in for me.

Good news is, I'm fixable and Doc told me I'd be fine next year.. I guess I have to figure a way to make next year my parting story...

Happy and sad at the same time...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Your health is # 1 priority. Follow Dr's advice Wayne & be healthy for next year. Prayers are with you.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Wayne you've got a lot of friends here and let's not use this terminology " make next year my parting story.." OK? I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'd like to have you around for some time longer. I hate to see this update but I'll pray it's all smooth sailing and good news when the Docs done working on you.

Comment

Working...
                                X