Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    Wow Mark, that was one heck of a report. Thanks!
    Thank you for saying so bud. The more I learn the more I want to know... cool stuff!
    Mark K....

Comment

OMG Mark, you were always the master of the message board! I don't know exactly how you did it, but what you talked about earlier about how you were going at it..

You did it!

Hug Kim for me!!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Markers, I hope we're not dragging you away from your primary concern (Love of your life Kim) and your devotion to her!

The fact that you are there in OK City and you are friends with the team and the photo ops you are going to be getting.. Priceless!

You guys think I should flip the order of the thread to make the newest first? Seems king of hard for newbies entering the thread might have an easier time?

If I could just figure out how I used to code that home page for the site!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
          Thank you for saying so bud. The more I learn the more I want to know... cool stuff!
          We have lit a fire in one of the best reporter/photographer this sport has ever seen... BROAD SMILE!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Lots of go-faster stuff going on -- any plans or hints for the canopy? Thanks for all the good info and helping get the pre-season fires lit 😊

Comment

Originally posted by bill_f View Post
              Lots of go-faster stuff going on -- any plans or hints for the canopy? Thanks for all the good info and helping get the pre-season fires lit 😊
              They are going to leave the canopy as is. RR3 proved the canopy wasn't a drag issue when they ticked off a couple laps in the 480+s back in '09. Would Miss A look awesome with a turtledeck? Hell yes, but is it needed? Not really.

Will

Comment

Thanks Mark for the in-depth report on "Miss America". At 90 altho not a pro I.m still interest in all this going back to A. Johnson removing yhe scoop & putting the radiator in the wings.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  OMG Mark, you were always the master of the message board! I don't know exactly how you did it, but what you talked about earlier about how you were going at it..

You did it!

Hug Kim for me!!
                  Formatting the text & pics to display like an article instead of a forum post wasn't too difficult, I've had a lot of practice doing it over the years. Just like riding a bike.

Will do on the hug👍
                  Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    Wow Mark, that was one heck of a report. Thanks!

Will
                    Agreed, great job of reporting by Mark - thank you. Looking forward to Doc Hisey setting a qual speed that will put him ahead of Dreadnaught.

Comment

As the days count down towards Reno 2022 Team Miss America continues their work on the aircraft to make an appearance at the LibertyFest (Edmond, OK) on the 4th of July but also prepare the aircraft for racing in September. As seen in the photo above, you immediately notice that the belly scoop was removed - which gave the aircraft a somewhat "Stilettoish" look. The gear doors clamped closed added to that look, and also made for a lot more room under the airframe to allow the crew to work on her. I was often curious why the belly scoop had that long extension on the front as shown in the first photo below. The third & forth photos show why; the connection at the center of the wing is pretty substantial with the oversized connection plate. This is normally hidden entirely by the stock scoop's design, so something had to be done to streamline that area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	232113 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-18.jpg
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	232114 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-03.jpg
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	232115 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-05.jpg
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	232116 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-07.jpg
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	232117 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-04.jpg
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	232118

This week when we first arrived we saw team member Greg Butler working on removing the fuel pumps so the newly remanufactured ones could be installed when they arrive. The 1st photo below shows the pumps following removal. The unit on the left is a modified stock P-51 pump but the right pump is actually modified F-86 fuel pump. North American didn't reinvent the wheel too much when they designed the F-86 as the fuel pump uses the same connection flange & basic design. Where they differ is the F-86 pump has both a high & low setting, allowing Brent to increase the fuel pressure from approximately 40psi to 60psi for racing. The F-86 pump also has a 1" return line as opposed to the P-51 pump at 3/4". Nice to be able to have that plug-and-play option for race applications and a part that isn't too difficult to source. Both pumps have been modified with stainless steel impellors to deal with the corrosive effects of the ADI (a water/methanol mix), the 160 octane gas, & liquid manganese). Speaking of which, you can see when looking closely at the screens that the pump for ADI/spray-bar water in photo #2 shows more corrosion than the pump in photo #3 (used for race gas/liquid manganese). Seeing this, it's easy to understand why the impellors have been replaced with stainless steel ones on both units.

Name:	061822-21.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	232119 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-19.jpg
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	232120 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-20.jpg
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	232121

Another area being addressed involved doing the final adjustments on the horizontal trim tabs and as you can see in photos #1 & #2 below, they're spot on. Photo #3 shows you what Brent's office looks like, and the four key gauges which he'll be monitoring. Brent noted that the LED gauge lights have certainly reduced cockpit workload - a lot easier to see when you're running in the green then have to focus momentarily on each gauge to interpret needle location.

Name:	061822-01.jpg
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	232122 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-02.jpg
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	232123 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-28.jpg
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	232124 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-27.jpg
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	232125

We talked a little last week about the heat exchanger and how it was located in the luggage compartment behind the pilot. I asked Greg to clarify how the system worked... he explained that the heat exchanger receives cooled fluid from the aftercooler radiator (located directly below). Then the discharged coolant is sent to the aftercooler located in the engine bay, then that discharge returns back to the aftercooler radiator to be cooled again and repeat the cycle. Photo #1 & #2 below show the heat exchanger as located in the aircraft luggage compartment behind the pilot. Note that the stock P-51H heat exchanger end caps have also been modified with larger diameter fittings to allow for increased flow. The last two photos are just detail shots of the wiring forward of the cockpit... nothing special but I thought quite interesting.

Name:	061822-23.jpg
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	232126 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-29.jpg
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	232127 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-24.jpg
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	232128 Click image for larger version

Name:	061822-25.jpg
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	232129

That's all for this week's update... We expect some big changes in the next couple of weeks as the team prepares Miss America back to flying status - more coming soon!

Mark K....

Comment

Mark,
                        Thanks for the update. That heat exchanger location looks to be ideal, as long as one isn't hauling a bunch of luggage around.

The plane is looking good.

Will

Comment

Great in depth report Mark
                          Lockheed Bob

Comment

I love how one team's willingness to allow some photos to be taken and their story be told, sparked this message board! Amazing photos, amazing story!

Please keep the updates comin!
                            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                              I love how one team's willingness to allow some photos to be taken and their story be told, sparked this message board! Amazing photos, amazing story!
                              And that's it right there... it's only because Brent, Greg & Scotty are going above and beyond - and doing so for the fans. I'm just happy to be able to play a small part in that.
                              Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
                                And that's it right there... it's only because Brent, Greg & Scotty are going above and beyond - and doing so for the fans. I'm just happy to be able to play a small part in that.
                                That aint all of it buddy.. You are a brilliant historian of the sport..

Doc opened the door and you are just tearing it up buddy!!!!!!

Do you think we should turn the order of display on, at least, this post to be latest post first? I think that might make all of the threads easier to follow.. ?

NICE FRICKIN WORK MARKERS!!

I know there is MUCH more coming from you.. Can't wait to see what you get.

Your reports are fueling interest in RENO 2022!!

GOOD WOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X