Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
    A little birdie told me Dreadnought was on the verge of overheating, so me thinks he was pressing it hard. Did Dreadnought have any more left? Probably so, but were they going to risk pushing it harder? No one can answer that... but my guess is not for long if at all). I think you can see where I'm going with this now. Every winning merlin for the last 20 years has had to run at that level to win, Allison rods & all. That's not required to win at Reno any longer, as long as you can beat the Buick - you're there. If 110 inches will keep you on his tail, then 125 will beat him.
    I thought I either heard or dreamt that Dreadnought was pretty close to it's limit as well. As you mentioned varying speeds, sure it could've been pushed forward, flat out, all the time, but it wasn't necessary. 426 average, I assumed 435 was TOPS. Considering the fastest she's put down was 459, on the old course, with the tall tail, and the old timing (add about 10mph to today's speed), that sounds right to me...

I think Will and I share the same concerns of 125" without Allison rods. It is good to hear that the 2019 set was bad bearings, not beat during the race. I'll have faith that with how well she ran at 110", 125" should be doable.

Keep it coming Mark!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Tube vs after-cooler for comparison.....
      Attached Files
      remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
        Never got the rundown on what was changed in the scoop/doghouse prior to last year, but assuming it has to be a mix of both of these to be able to run the Dago/RRIII style scoop, and still get ample airflow to everything inside. I may be wrong, but I don't think the current scoop has an oil cooler exit door (or at least don't see any photos of it open). That would lead me to think the current setup is similar to an H-model heat exchanger that solely cools the oil, and the aftercooler takes on it's normal functions with the radiator - I just don't know where this oil cooler/heat exchanger is on MA (or on the H for that matter although I think it's just behind the engine). There are definitely some experimental changes that were done, and continue to be done going into this year.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Nice graphic!... Even if it isn't the best looking paint scheme for the illustrated tube user.

Now this is a bit off topic... but on the topic of Mustangs seen on the internet disassembled since they last raced; what is the current status of Dago Red?

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
            Nice graphic!... Even if it isn't the best looking paint scheme for the illustrated tube user.

Now this is a bit off topic... but on the topic of Mustangs seen on the internet disassembled since they last raced; what is the current status of Dago Red?
            As far as anyone on the outside knows, Dago is still in pieces sitting in a hanger in Fresno. I've been looking under a lot of rocks and I haven't found anything to indicate otherwise.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
              <>
              Just sitting in a hanger in the dark....
              Attached Files
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Wow, I thought it was in more pieces than that. That is the first pic I've seen of Dago since it was originally repo'd years ago.

Thanks for the pic.

Will

Comment

Was Fresno the location where Dago was repo'd?

Comment

I've seen maybe half a dozen pics of Dago in that (a?) hangar over the years but that's the sharpest!
                    Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                      Was Fresno the location where Dago was repo'd?
                      It was in Chino when it was repo'd from Frank Taylor. I think there is a thread from 2010 about this on here somewhere.

Will

Comment

Is this really a recent pic of Dago?
                        I was under the impression that it was still in pieces and "on hold" indefinitely.

Comment

That is an old picture from Hollister right before we were ready to paint it. It was taken away, repossessed, stripped to bare metal and taken apart. Now in storage around Fresno.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            I really hope they are addressing the easy to fix stuff like the unfinished trim tab actuator covers
                            I did want to speak to that after I realized I have some information that might shed some light on this.

Brent let me know that as a result of the NTSB pilot briefing following the GG accident, the trim tab actuators are now replaced every year - not just inspected, but replaced. That being the case, the unpainted actuator covers are more-than-likely a result of this yearly replacement. Leaving them unfinished would allow for easier inspection of their integrity during race week, where time could become a critical component in making the next race (the quicker you find a problem, the quicker you can address it). I will try to verify this with Brent, but it seems to be a good reason to do leave them unfinished.

Oh, and thanks again Will for the oil canning pictures... I'll be sure to show them to Brent.
                            Mark K....

Comment

I wasn't able to visit long today (had to jet back to the house unexpectedly to take care of the wife unit), but I'll be visiting again next week. It's been a long day, so I'll have to save the text update for tomorrow. Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure
                              Attached Files
                              Mark K....

Comment

Hummmm... suddenly I don't feel as bad about my shop floor LOL....

GREAT STUFF MARKERS!!

Gonna ship my gear your way Monday.. ALSO going to ask on facebook photo forum somewhere best way to ship same!!

Any you's (hey, native New Yorker after all) guys ever ship delicate stuff like our dear camera gear?? If so, best way?
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X