Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Unless some sort of atmospheric miracle occurs, I don't think that my family and I will be going to Stead this year. We live in the area of the fire, and as such have had to deal with the smoke constantly since it started. I'd really rather not have my two young grandsons exposed to it all day long, and honestly am quite tired of it myself. Watching some of the live feed from yesterday, coupled with the AQI forecasts for tomorrow and Sunday, pretty much seals it. It's the first time in over 25 years that I will miss Reno, and I'm not too happy about it.

Thanks to all of the dedicated fans who are there and have taken the time to post updates and pics. See everybody next year!

Comment

• I see the ADI gauge on the top tier of the cockpit panel. Question: If this is not a tube motor and uses an aftercooler, why run ADI? Or if it needs ADI, why not just run a tube motor? Hopefully some more knowledgeable on here (there are many!) can help me understand. THX
      "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

• Originally posted by boomtown View Post
        I see the ADI gauge on the top tier of the cockpit panel. Question: If this is not a tube motor and uses an aftercooler, why run ADI? Or if it needs ADI, why not just run a tube motor? Hopefully some more knowledgeable on here (there are many!) can help me understand. THX
        Very astute observation. ADI will be needed anytime a Merlin goes over 60 inches from what I understand. That said, this engine should be good for 120+ inches, so ADI will be needed. As for the engine, its not a tube, it does have an aftercooler, but what is in the aftercooler is anyone's guess. Apparently, years ago, Kerch figured that the aftercooler could essentially be gutted and would give a good boost in power, but ADI would be needed. I have no idea what was done with Miss A's setup, but with Pete Law being involved, you can bet there is something clever going on with the aftercooler setup. The aftercoolers do get unhappy above 120 inches so we'll see what happens. (I also don't know what happens when the aftercoolers see more than 120 inches.)

Yes a Tube motor would be the higher hp setup, but apparently Doc doesn't like them. I can also guess flying a tube motor across the country would have all kinds of logistics issues since it would need ADI at every stop. Why not fly out with the AC and switch at Reno? That is a good question that I can't answer. I haven't the foggiest idea why this couldn't be done. They have their reasons, and I'm guessing they will run what they know best.

Will

Comment

• Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Why not fly out with the AC and switch at Reno? That is a good question that I can't answer. I haven't the foggiest idea why this couldn't be done. They have their reasons, and I'm guessing they will run what they know best.

Will
          They do have their reasons, but it seems like they just don't want a tube. From Rick not really doing tubes, to logistics to fly it from Oklahoma, to wanting to put time on the race engine during the flight, etc. I do appreciate the different schools of thought and hopefully we'll see how hard you can really push an aftercooled Merlin this year.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
          X