Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Mark, you have completely outdone yourself! You not only got the info as it happened, and caught it on images, you wrote up an extremely detailed and accurate description of what went very right, and then... bummer.. wrong..

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

Don't know about you guys but I'm happier than a pig in... you know what having Pylon1Mark Kallio back in action!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Just sitting here marveling at how we're able to just about be there as it happens these days. When Mark and I started out in this "business" the first time the larger world knew what happened at Reno was when the Wide World of Sports ran their annual coverage of the event. It was MONTHS later.

Along comes the Internet, Mark and I figured out how to spread information and get visitors to participate in lively discussions, it was new, there was nothing else like it...

Not so fast forward, someone figured out how to have message boards that made a LOT of money when they shoved a ****load of ads at you, followed your buying habits, fed you targeted content and more ads...

But, here we are again, an intimate group of dedicated people gathering to celebrate the valiant efforts of our HEROES!

Looking forward to next year...

Go MISSA 2023!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well done to the whole team for their efforts, and my sincerest comiserations to everyone. Not the news anyone wanted to hear but, Mark, you've explained it all fantastically and I am very grateful for that.

Bring on 2023!
        Zac in NZ

Comment

Miss America gets pushed back towards the hangar where the crew will begin the process of removing the race motor for inspection.

Although Brent Hisey and Miss America won't be racing this year that doesn't mean the team is stopping all work on the racer until next year. It only means the time-crunch type of pressure is off and the team has a boatload of time to fine-tune the racer for next year. The current plans include removing the race motor and sending it down to Rick Shanholtzer shop in Texas to determine if the nose case was the cause of the failure, or was it the motor itself. Earlier we reported that the nosecase was making an unusual sound when the prop is turned-over by hand when at a certain point in the arc... after the aircraft sat overnight and cooled off the sound is still there. We will know for certain the source of the failure after Rick does the teardown & inspection however it does appear that the crew has isolated one area of concern.

But regardless of the cause, and after the repair has been completed, the race motor will be shipped back to OKC and installed in the aircraft. Brent intends on flying the aircraft about twice a month afterwards and up until the Pilots Racing Seminar occurs in June. At that time plans are for Brent & Miss America to make their way to Stead so Brent can get some course time on the new setup, check the trim settings, as well as stage the aircraft for the race in September. That's right, the crew plans to leave Miss America at Stead after the PRS so that 2023 doesn't slip away like it did this year. It will certainly make it a lot easier on Brent, the Crew, and Rick - and it also all but guarantees what happened this year won't happen again.

That's all for now - we will update everyone as soon as there is new news to share on Miss America. Until then, continue enjoy the 2022 NCAR!

Click image for larger version

Name:	91322_02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	232247 Click image for larger version

Name:	91322_03.jpg
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	232248 Click image for larger version

Name:	91322_04.jpg
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	232249
          Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
            Brent intends on flying the aircraft about twice a month afterwards and up until the Pilots Racing Seminar occurs in June. At that time plans are for Brent & Miss America to make their way to Stead so Brent can get some course time on the new setup, check the trim settings, as well as stage the aircraft for the race in September. That's right, the crew plans to leave Miss America at Stead after the PRS so that 2023 doesn't slip away like it did this year. It will certainly make it a lot easier on Brent, the Crew, and Rick - and it also all but guarantees what happened this year won't happen again.
            Amazing news!!! Guess I have to make my plans to go to PRS next year!
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Brent intends on flying the aircraft about twice a month afterwards and up until the Pilots Racing Seminar occurs in June. At that time plans are for Brent & Miss America to make their way to Stead so Brent can get some course time on the new setup, check the trim settings, as well as stage the aircraft for the race in September. That's right, the crew plans to leave Miss America at Stead after the PRS so that 2023 doesn't slip away like it did this year. It will certainly make it a lot easier on Brent, the Crew, and Rick - and it also all but guarantees what happened this year won't happen again
              WOW! Straight outta the Lyle Shelton Rare Bear playbook! Ahem, I remember a recent conversation with John Slack about this very thing.

This tells us that Brent "Doc" Hisey is totally committed to WIN RENO!

MissA= Super Stang in (god I hate to say it) sheep/s clothing??

Here's maybe better Super Stang cloaked in a flag of honor... Let the off season games begin before the event is even over!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"we're right at the beginning of the greatest week ever for the event that we all love"

Sorry to be sour grapes but where have you been the past 34 years? Hardly enough, IF enough Unlimiteds to fill one final race field, Fast Yak DQ'd, fastest Sports planes dropping like flies, stinking jets wasting time and bush planes the same. This is the poorest year in all of that time. I WAS going to come again to see Sherman and Czech Mate win the Gold but when they were lost plans changed. Bitterly disappointed the last 2 times there with only 9 and then 13 Unlimiteds and no real Gold field to race. I've been there for the greatest years and hope they will return again and this aint it by a huge margin! Maybe I'll come back if the Unlimiteds get exciting again and all the time is not wasted on place holders but for now glad I didn't waste my time and money this year. Sorry to rain on your parade as I see the skies doing that already and hope for you and the other attendees they clear up.
                Last edited by GeeBeeZ1931; 09-14-2022, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                  "we're right at the beginning of the greatest week ever for the event that we all love"

Sorry to be sour grapes but where have you been the past 34 years? Hardly enough, IF enough Unlimiteds to fill one final race field, Fast Yak DQ'd, fastest Sports planes dropping like flies, stinking jets wasting time and bush planes the same. This is the poorest year in all of that time. I WAS going to come again to see Sherman and Czech Mate win the Gold but when they were lost plans changed. Bitterly disappointed the last 2 times there with only 9 and then 13 Unlimiteds and no real Gold field to race. I've been there for the greatest years and hope they will return again and this aint it by a huge margin! Maybe I'll come back if the Unlimiteds get exciting again and all the time is not wasted on place holders but for now glad I didn't waste my time and money this year. Sorry to rain on your parade as I see the skies doing that already and hope for you and the other attendees they clear up.
                  News flash... This is racing. Things happen that can't be controlled. That is part of Reno. As for the sport guys dropping like flies, the top guys think they can get things fixed and be racing on Sunday. Does it suck seeing Scotty booted from the races without a second chance? You bet. That was stupid of RARA to let that stand. Still, there should be some great racing in the silver unlimited, and other classes.

I'm I disappointed the unlimited gold fizzled? You bet, Has the smoke been hard to deal with? Yes indeed. Am I still thrilled to be here? Absolutely. Just because you don't like STOL drags, or jets doesn't mean there isn't anything to see here. There is still lots to see, and plenty of good racing.

Will

Comment

For me personally, regardless of what happens to the racing field, I can?t think of any other place I?d rather be this week in September!!!

I get to unite with great friends, watch airplanes, watch people, and enjoy a cold beer or 5, while taking in everything the races have to offer.

Does it suck that not everyone will be there or be able to race? You bet it does and my heart goes out to those pilots and teams who just want to be there and be a part of it all.

But there?s no other place we get enjoy this type of event and I consider it an honor to spend my hard earned money and support this event!
                    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

So, what was the reasoning behind the Yak being DQ'd?

Comment

I will be there with my SIL and my grandsons. I would normally spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but this year it's only going to be Saturday. Several factors play into this, including having a 5-year-old and 2-year-old along, and the fact that I am still on call for the Mosquito Fire. Still, Stead is where I go every year in mid-September, no ifs, ands, or buts. The lack of fast Unlimiteds is not good, but air racing is air racing.

Comment

I managed to leave a post up that showed loyalty to a friend over good sense.

Mark Weir <sp?> is BigFoot an old crew on the Bear and other teams. I tend to allow posts by old timers and not question the content. Bad judgement on my part with this ill thought out decision on handling Mark's post..

No personal attacks, however veiled!!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Brent intends on flying the aircraft about twice a month afterwards and up until the Pilots Racing Seminar occurs in June.
                            Excellent news, bravo Brent. And again thank you Mark for your amazing coverage and to the team for their work (and for being so generous with allowing you to be part of it all).

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            News flash... This is racing. Things happen that can't be controlled. That is part of Reno. [...]
                            I'm I disappointed the unlimited gold fizzled? You bet, Has the smoke been hard to deal with? Yes indeed. Am I still thrilled to be here? Absolutely. Just because you don't like STOL drags, or jets doesn't mean there isn't anything to see here. There is still lots to see, and plenty of good racing.
                            Well said, Will.
                            Zac in NZ

Comment

Mark....
                              Are you in Reno ???

Curt

Comment

Originally posted by Curt View Post
                                Mark....
                                Are you in Reno ???

Curt
                                No stayed home in OKC... with Miss A out and with someone still needing to cover the story - seemed like the right call at the time. With the smoke the way it is, might be more right than not.
                                Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                                X