Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Please DON'T rush getting the plane ready as we don't need another Czech Mate incident. RARA should make some leeway in a case like this even if rules are rules.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
      Please DON'T rush getting the plane ready as we don't need another Czech Mate incident. RARA should make some leeway in a case like this even if rules are rules.
      Especially after doing the proactive thing and calling RARA to clarify, and then being told incorrect information by a RARA employee. Ridiculous.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        There's still time, if everything goes without issue... Really sucks though.
        That's correct buddy... there is still time as long as nothing goes wrong... and we all know those odds. Regardless, the crew remains committed to getting Miss A to Stead prior to the deadline.

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        I wouldn't describe the activity at the hangar as rushed, even in the slightest. I would describe it more as methodical, deliberate, and focused - more of a steady workflow without any wasted time and/or effort. Rick Shanholtzer is already on his way to the hangar and should be arriving in about 30 minutes to oversee the operation and do the engine testing. Ricks bringing down some modified parts for the induction trunk, and after that goes on the motor Greg & Scotty both said that we should be doing the engine run-ups by the evening - with test flights scheduled for early tomorrow morning. After that, fly 1/2 way to Stead, park it for the evening, then making the Saturday deadline. We'll let you know as soon as the situation changes.

Yes, there is a way that Brent could still compete even if he arrives late according to the crew. However, that would require the approval of two individuals at RARA & Dennis Sanders (I assume is now the acting president for the unlimited class) - something that I don't feel is a direction the team wants to pursue at this time. No, the rules are the rules as Greg said.

As stated earlier - the crew is working hard to make this happen, and if luck holds out it will. Here's a parting photo fresh from the hangar. Now ain't that one pretty yellow & chrome aftercooler assembly!!!! Looks fast just sitting there - makes me wonder just what is inside that's going to allow Brent to run 125 inches of manifold pressure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	232206

More later!!!!
        Mark K....

Comment

I've always approached the Reno National Championship Air Races in a way that would promote the sport. I've served as "publicist" for more than one team over the years.

It is my "professional" and humble opinion that RARA would be absolutely shooting themselves in the foot if they do not do anything that would help the team's efforts. An extension of the deadline till Sunday should be a no brainer for them!

Why even race if rules run the day even prior to the actual event. Just hand the check to the Sanders and let it be.
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Calming down a bit here (took my meds LOL) Mark is back out at the field and will keep us updated as much as possible. Mark tells me, there is nothing but grim determination amongst the crew! If it's dooable, they WILL do it!

GO MISS AMERICA 2022
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
              Well, it's 11:30pm and still waiting. Obviously there's been a delay - the reason unknown at this time. Sticking here awhile longer so I'll report back when I have something. ttys
              Wish I could have been there with you buddy! I faded while we were on the phone but if idda been there, we could have kept each other awake maybe!!

I'm so appreciative that you are able to be there and keep us all totally informed about the situation.
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Rick made it up from Texas and is working on the last bits before testing. Everything is moving along well, no glitches thus far. Brent heard back from RARA & Dennis Sanders on Saturday's deadline... they've decided to extend the deadline untill 11:59PM Saturday. This is giving the team the wiggle room back and the confidence knowing they'll make it. Here's some pics of the progress - Rick is the guy in the red shirt).

Name:	image000000 (2).jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	232207 Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000 (1).jpg
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	232208 Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000.jpg
ID:	232209 Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000 (3).jpg
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	232210

More soon !!!
                Mark K....

Comment

Gotta love thrash sessions! Was the engine pre-ran in a test cell or test stand?
                  "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                    Gotta love thrash sessions! Was the engine pre-ran in a test cell or test stand?
                    Per one of Mark's previous posts, no test stand so first run will be on the plane.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      Per one of Mark's previous posts, no test stand so first run will be on the plane.
                      I must have missed that! Thanks!
                      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Thanks for the updates Mark, standing by for the next update! Thank you and go team!
                        Zac in NZ

Comment

Rick made it up from Texas and is working on the last bits before testing. Everything is moving along well, no glitches thus far. Brent heard back from RARA & Dennis Sanders on Saturday's deadline... they've decided to extend the deadline untill 11:59PM Saturday. This is giving the team the wiggle room back and the confidence knowing they'll make it. Here's some pics of the progress - Rick is the guy in the red shirt).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26805[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26806[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26807[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26808[/ATTACH]

More soon !!!
                          I'm happy they granted the slightly larger arrival window but again from a marketing and promotional standpoint, If THE Miss America Air Racer is kept out of competition it will suck very much for their "on the spur" ticket sales.

Again, I'm thankful to RARA competition committee and whomever else granted the extension. Bad thing about it, per my calculations, via info from Mark that the airplane is only legal during daylight hours, this only buys them about six, seven hours? Not sure when sunset is at Stead.

Sorry to be a thorn but it makes no sense to me both from a marketing and promotional standpoint... Not to mention a much more realistic timeline to HELP get the airplane there SAFELY.. (IMAGINE THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE ALREADY SOLD TICKET HOLDERS WHO REALLY WANTED TO SEE MISS A COMPETE) and possibly win.) Seriously much attention is focused on Miss America.. there is a video production (pre production stuff national and international looks great) our coverage and likely, MUCH MORE

In the spirit of competition, I truly can not see why a deadline 24 hours past the initial deadline (at least) wouldn't be granted..

In the spirit of marketing and promotion, I'd be in the ear of whomever was in charge of making it happen, even if everyone had to pitch in.. to this day, most of NASCAR pulls together to get competitors into events, rules are rules, I get that but this ain't NASCAR and we don't have 30+ very hot cars entered into each race.

I'd bet, if you took a poll or the racers they would vote for whatever was realistically possible.. I'd like to think they would be wanting to actually who would win?
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My memory has faded (as previously mentioned LOL) but it just came to me that I've sat in the stands waiting for this or that airplane to arrive before deadline, it was never at midnight, it was during the day to create suspense and drama. Again, memory is borked, anyone remember if I'm right/wrong? Sure would make more marketing sense to make a big deal about Miss America arriving by Noon Sunday... IF they can make it... tick tick tick.. Crap, if you were really beating the bushes and promoted this sort of thing, you could not buy better PR chit?

Truly, this is the kind of stuff people absolutely devour if properly presented.

I hope the Unlimited Class members as well as RARA do everything they can to ensure Miss A is there for them to compete against.
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26805[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26806[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26807[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26808[/ATTACH]

More soon !!!
                              Post 145 said he has till 5PM Sunday so which is it?

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                                Post 145 said he has till 5PM Sunday so which is it?
                                It's now Saturday 11:59PM.. sry for the confusion. It's changed 3 times so it's understandable.

I had to leave the hangar last night before the engine install was done, but Greg told me that they were only about 2 hours away from "ready to test". The plan was to knock off for the evening after the motor was done then come back Friday morning for the engine testing. Here's a few photos I shot just before I left... you can see they are very close.

Name:	image000000 (7).jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	232212 Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000 (6).jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	232213 Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000 (5).jpg
ID:	232214 Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000 (4).jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	232215

I have to work today so next update won't be until later this evening. Until then... 👍
                                Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                                X