Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

When we arrived this afternoon at Miss America's hangar, things were pretty quiet with crewman Scotty Butler minding the store. It was obvious that the race motor had yet to arrive but it was just as obvious that everything was ready to go, the parts spread-out in assembly order ready for that last part to arrive (race motor). The plan was to have the motor there at the hangar today... but there was a hiccup that Rick encountered with the remanufactured block from Roush Aviation. Everything was going smoothly until Rick tried to attach the nosecase, then it was discovered that the tolerances were not to those specified & fitment wasn't corrected. All in all, the nosecase was off & on 10 times before fitment was perfect and Rick could move onto the last parts - head & banks, which was where it stood when I left for the evening. Barring any more unforeseen difficulties the race motor should be completed sometime late this evening with Matt Jackson ferrying it up from Texas tomorrow. That's when the magic is going to start... and we plan on being there for the install and hopefully also make it back early Thursday morning (3am?) for that race motor break-in run ;-) So that's the current schedule... get race motor, install, break-in run, test flight(s), then off to Stead for the races. If things go well from here on out, Brent could be at Stead as early as Friday afternoon. If some problems crop up with the plane or the motor, then there remains a little wiggle room - but not much with qualifying starting on Monday.

More tomorrow!!!
    Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
      More tomorrow!!!
      Waiting patiently and with much excitement!
      Zac in NZ

Comment

When we arrived this afternoon at Miss America's hangar, things were pretty quiet with crewman Scotty Butler minding the store. It was obvious that the race motor had yet to arrive but it was just as obvious that everything was ready to go, the parts spread-out in assembly order ready for that last part to arrive (race motor). The plan was to have the motor there at the hangar today... but there was a hiccup that Rick encountered with the remanufactured block from Roush Aviation. Everything was going smoothly until Rick tried to attach the nosecase, then it was discovered that the tolerances were not to those specified & fitment wasn't corrected. All in all, the nosecase was off & on 10 times before fitment was perfect and Rick could move onto the last parts - head & banks, which was where it stood when I left for the evening. Barring any more unforeseen difficulties the race motor should be completed sometime late this evening with Matt Jackson ferrying it up from Texas tomorrow. That's when the magic is going to start... and we plan on being there for the install and hopefully also make it back early Thursday morning (3am?) for that race motor break-in run ;-) So that's the current schedule... get race motor, install, break-in run, test flight(s), then off to Stead for the races. If things go well from here on out, Brent could be at Stead as early as Friday afternoon. If some problems crop up with the plane or the motor, then there remains a little wiggle room - but not much with qualifying starting on Monday.

More tomorrow!!!
        How long does it take him to get from OK to Stead? Arrival cutoff is noon on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          How long does it take him to get from OK to Stead? Arrival cutoff is noon on Saturday.
          I'll ask tonight when I visit
          Mark K....

Comment

How strict is this really? I know rules are rules, but are they really going to tell Brent he can't race if he shows up Sunday... That's RARA shooting themselves in the foot. Might look like special treatment to some of the other racers (in all classes) that pushed to make the deadline, but hey technically RARA could've given them grace too, they just didn't ask... If this is more of a FAA thing, then I understand that more.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              How strict is this really? I know rules are rules, but are they really going to tell Brent he can't race if he shows up Sunday... That's RARA shooting themselves in the foot. Might look like special treatment to some of the other racers (in all classes) that pushed to make the deadline, but hey technically RARA could've given them grace too, they just didn't ask... If this is more of a FAA thing, then I understand that more.
              It has become a lot more strict over the past several years. They would 100% tell him no if he misses the deadline. The only possible exception would be if the delay is legitimately weather related.

Comment

It has become a lot more strict over the past several years. They would 100% tell him no if he misses the deadline. The only possible exception would be if the delay is legitimately weather related.
                Got it.

To your other question, I would estimate it takes about 6 hours of flying time to get to KRTS at 300mph cruise. 90 minutes split over two gas/food stops, gain back 2 hours from the time change. Leaving Saturday morning would be a stretch even if everything goes as planned. Maybe a Friday evening departure and spend the night somewhere halfway. Hoping it doesn't get to that point.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                  Hoping it doesn't get to that point.
                  We'll have a better idea later tonight.
                  Just got off work, gotta do some house stuff, eat, then I'm off.
                  Mark K....

Comment

I beg of you, team miss America, please be safe.

Comment

Hi guys.... I'm sitting here at Miss America's hangar and I have a little news to share... some good and bad news. At the current time the race motor has yet to arrive. Crew member Greg Butler informed me that Rick Shanholtzer called at 9am this morning with the good news that the motor was ready. Not wanting to wait one minute longer team member Scotty Butler loaded up the truck, hitched up the trailer and headed down to Texas just before 11am. So currently, the motor is enroute and should arrive anytime now. Actually I had to leave and go home to take care of the cats for the evening and just got back to the hangar. When I left Greg & Johnny were waiting for Scotty to arrive. Now that I'm back, they're gone so I can only assume that Scotty may have had something happen that he needed help with. Regardless, I'll hang here for awhile longer and wait - I'm as curious to find out what's up as any of you guys... maybe even moreso since I took tommorow off so I cover this developing story.

OK... the good news. Brent called RARA and verified that he has until Sunday, 5pm to make it to Stead.... very doable and has taken a bit of heat off the crew (they read what was posted here and immediately called to verify the rules they were reading were correct... Sunday 5pm and not Saturday noon).

Alrighty then - I'll post more when I get it and with any luck that will be sooner rather than later.
                      Mark K....

Comment

Well, it's 11:30pm and still waiting. Obviously there's been a delay - the reason unknown at this time. Sticking here awhile longer so I'll report back when I have something. ttys
                        Mark K....

Comment

Well, it's 11:30pm and still waiting. Obviously there's been a delay - the reason unknown at this time. Sticking here awhile longer so I'll report back when I have something. ttys
                          Mark - the value you are bringing to me and I am sure so many others -
                          THANK YOU!!!
                          Yes, Doc, Greg, Scotty and entire team - Safety & God Speed.
                          Last edited by mitchcarley; 09-08-2022, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Good news! Race motor has arrived and is already in the aircraft as of 7:00am today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	232202 Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_02.jpg
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	232203 Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_03.jpg
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	232204 Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_04.jpg
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	232205

I faded last night a little after midnight and came home. These are pictures that Brent sent to me this morning. I plan on heading up to the hangar again later this afternoon. Until then
                            Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 09-08-2022, 07:56 AM.
                            Mark K....

Comment

Interesting development - the crew just informed me that the previous deadline of Sunday at 5pm is now as Race5 said earlier - Saturday at noon. Apparently the person at RARA was mistaken & the rules have indeed changed. Interesting development, any wiggle room just went away and there now is a bigger chance of a no show for Miss A. Hate to have to say it, but them's the facts jack.
                              Mark K....

Comment

Interesting development - the crew just informed me that the previous deadline of Sunday at 5pm is now as Race5 said earlier - Saturday at noon. Apparently the person at RARA was mistaken & the rules have indeed changed. Interesting development, any wiggle room just went away and there now is a bigger chance of a no show for Miss A. Hate to have to say it, but them's the facts jack.
                                There's still time, if everything goes without issue... Really sucks though.
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X