Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

veRe: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

I don't think I have ever seen this kind of in-depth reporting on an unlimited racer being prepared for Reno. Thank you everyone.

Comment

Re: veRe: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Bravo to all!

Comment

Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Markers now has my prized Nikon D4 in his hands, he already knows how to use the camera better than I ever did! I noticed an improvement in the pix and they smelled of D4 just learned they were taken with the -4.. Mark has some really cool chit coming up that is the primary reason we sent the body out to him... never thought I'd feel comfortable sending my beloved D4 to anyone to use... it just seemed an absolutely natural thing to do this time... dang thing's been sitting in the bag for nearly 2 years, unused!

This whole thing is just turning out to be wonderful!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This week's update is a bit of a non-update since none of the parts have arrived from the vendors yet. What I did get this week was to use Wayne's D4... so I retook most of the shots I did previously. This was my first experience with a high end digital - so after doing some testing, looking at some Utube videos on how to setup the camera and make some adjustments, the results were not too bad. After the photo session it appears that my lens is a bit too slow to get the depth of field I'd like to have for indoor photos - but overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	232130 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_02.jpg
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	232131 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_03.jpg
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	232132 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_04.jpg
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	232133 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_05.jpg
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	232134

Name:	062522_06.jpg
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	232135 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_07.jpg
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	232136 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_08.jpg
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	232137 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_09.jpg
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	232138 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_10.jpg
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	232139

Name:	062522_11.jpg
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	232140 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_12.jpg
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	232141 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_13.jpg
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	232142 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_14.jpg
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	232143 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_15.jpg
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	232144

Name:	062522_16.jpg
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	232145 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_17.jpg
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	232146 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_18.jpg
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	232147 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_19.jpg
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	232148 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_20.jpg
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	232149
          Mark K....

Comment

More.....

Name:	062522_21.jpg
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	232150 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_22.jpg
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	232151 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_23.jpg
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	232152 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_24.jpg
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	232153 Click image for larger version

Name:	062522_25.jpg
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	232154

I'll leave you guys with a question that I'll answer next week. We all know Rick Shanholtzer builds the motors for Miss A and has since Brent started flying her. Just how many allison rod V-12 merlin engines has team Miss America raced during that time?

1) Never
            2) One
            3) Two
            4) Four
            Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 06-26-2022, 06:01 PM.
            Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
              More.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26734[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26735[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26736[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26737[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26738[/ATTACH]

I'll leave you guys with a question that I'll answer next week. We all know Rick Shanholtzer builds the motors for Miss A and has since Brent started flying her. Just how many allison rod V-12 merlin engines has team Miss America raced during that time?

1) Never
              2) One
              3) Two
              4) Four
              I know they had an Allison Rod motor in 2002 (and 2001 even though I'm sure you aren't counting that year). I have heard conflicting things about whether or not they had one last year.
              Last edited by Race5; 06-26-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Nice work Mark! Glad the camera is doing the job for ya's.. I should prolly have sent my 24-120??
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Nice work Mark! Glad the camera is doing the job for ya's.. I should prolly have sent my 24-120??
                  Thanks buddy... camera is working out better than perfect. In hind sight your correct, the faster lens would have been nice. Sorry I haven't been able to respond to all your comments Wayne... Kim's situation has gotten more tenuous as of late, and I've needed to step things up to meet the challenges. What free time I had is tuff to come by now, just trying to find time to respond here meant typing this on my phone while having a smoke break getting ready for work. I will say this is something I've needed - the last year has all been about Kim & hospital visits... First time I have been able to focus on anything besides that in a very long time.
                  Mark K....

Comment

Thanks Mark for your work. Take care with Kim & the best for both of you.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Good work, Mr. Markers! (aka - snack master, web guru, etc, etc…) Please let Kim know we are thinking of her. Take care my friend.

SA
                      Last edited by Smee Again; 06-28-2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

This is superb Mark, thank you (and the team!) for such detailed reports and so many photos!
                        Zac in NZ

Comment

Thanks buddy... camera is working out better than perfect. In hind sight your correct, the faster lens would have been nice. Sorry I haven't been able to respond to all your comments Wayne... Kim's situation has gotten more tenuous as of late, and I've needed to step things up to meet the challenges. What free time I had is tuff to come by now, just trying to find time to respond here meant typing this on my phone while having a smoke break getting ready for work. I will say this is something I've needed - the last year has all been about Kim & hospital visits... First time I have been able to focus on anything besides that in a very long time.
                          Mark, initially, I was reluctant to task you with this project.. when we discussed it on the phone, you seemed interested enough to go forward. I only know the task you are going through from the patient side of things. My affliction was not near as far advanced as Kim's. But, I do know what the dedication of my caregiver Linda and her mom and what it put them through.

You gotta know everyone here is pulling for you guys!

Love you buddy!

PS. I'm going to send you specs on the lens, if it's a lot faster, won't cost much to overnight it to you.. Want you to have the best for the upcoming tasks!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                            This is superb Mark, thank you (and the team!) for such detailed reports and so many photos!
                            Thanks to all you guys for your interest! We are extremely lucky to have such an expert journalist on the job there! Mark Kallio has more knowledge about the sport in his little finger than most of us have in our entire brain! This has worked out really well! The owner/crew totally accept Mark as one of them. This whole thing just warms my heart!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It's going to be tomorrow before I can do my weekly update (lots to process) but I did happen upon something that made me say "OMG", that takes no explanation at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26569[/ATTACH]
                              An air racer's hangar has all the cool stuff!

Then sitting just to the right.... there was something that didn't pop-out as special, but when I found out air racers they came off of, I was - whoa! It's like a shrine to air racers past.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26570[/ATTACH]
                              Left to right: Mr. Awesome, RRIII, Leeward Air Ranch Special

Update tomorrow - have fun!
                              I've been in that hanger!
                              "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again View Post
                                Good work, Mr. Markers! (aka - snack master, web guru, etc, etc?) Please let Kim know we are thinking of her. Take care my friend.

SA
                                Thanks Mike - will certainly pass on the message to Kim. You know, I haven't been called the snack master for a long time - brought back some good memories. Also good to see your still hanging around, hoping life's been good for ya & all... It's been a long time.
                                Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                                X